Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it is decided it's happening, just not well published. They're lining up for the change in format next season. They need two extra sides so when want to take two 'bigger' sides than actual champions like they should. (Don't be surprised to see Al Blabab suddenly become one of those champions though)

I believe it's the two countries/leagues who score the highest number of points in the coefficient rankings this season only.

So, if City and the other scammers magically fail in Europe this season, they'll be handing a UCL spot to Roma or Lecce and taking one away from Utd/Chelsea/Newcastle/Brighton/Villa. Wonder if they might want to do that.

Some parts of it is published, other parts are not published or finalised. There will be 4 extra teams in the group stages. Two of those teams will come the leagues with the highest coefficients this season. One extra spot for teams that go through the qualifying stage. The last spot goes to the third team in the league that is ranked fifth over the last five year.

What hasn’t been published, or at least I haven’t seen it, is the finer details like, can a league have more than 5 entries into CL. What happens if we are top ranked and get the 5th CL spot, but the team in 6th place win the CL and the team in 7th place win Europa League? Will it be top 3 + 6th and 7th, or will it be all 7 teams?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It's strange.

Legit cannot remember last time we won at St James Park. Couldn't even do it when they had Bruce.

But their not a voodoo club since we do so well against them at VP.

It's just a weird fixture and has been for years.

It's bizarre when you think how good how record has in last 20 years at Sunderland and Boro in the prem and then the seasons in the championship. Both had been better than Newcastle for periods of that time aswell.

It's just a jinx ground for us ever since Barry skied that last minute penalty in December 2005. We really haven't come close to winning there since (infront of crowds) and won twice at Old Trafford in same timeframe.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It's strange.

Legit cannot remember last time we won at St James Park. Couldn't even do it when they had Bruce.

But their not a voodoo club since we do so well against them at VP.

It's just a weird fixture and has been for years.

Pretty sure it was the game when Dyer and Bowyer got sent off for fighting each other. It really is a dire record. 

• Like 1

It would be really bad luck if we finish 5th in the PL, but England don’t get one of the extra CL places on offer.   

Just a reminder only the 2 countries with the highest coefficient in 23/24 get an extra CL place for the following year. 

England currently has 27 coefficient points divided 8 clubs = 3.375, which puts us in 15th place! 🥴

We might have to start supporting the scum 6 clubs in Europe if 5th starts to become a serious possibility.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It would be really bad luck if we finish 5th in the PL, but England don’t get one of the extra CL places on offer.   

Just a reminder only the 2 countries with the highest coefficient in 23/24 get an extra CL place for the following year. 

England currently has 27 coefficient points divided 8 clubs = 3.375, which puts us in 15th place! 🥴

We might have to start supporting the scum 6 clubs in Europe if 5th starts to become a serious possibility.

After United and arsenal messed up tonight I worried about this.

Then I realised we're finishing in the top 4 anyway ;).

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We are actually joint 14th with Croatia, not that it makes it any better.

I assume you don’t count us among the scum 6 clubs in Europe, but who is the second non-scum club of the 8 in Europe?

I find it strange that the places aren't decided in advance of the season - like they should be using last season's coefficients to determine the qualification slots for this season so that the rules are known in advance. Right now clubs are aiming for some undetermined objective.

I guess it just has to be seen as 4th place if CL and if 5th gets it that's a bonus.

48 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I find it strange that the places aren't decided in advance of the season - like they should be using last season's coefficients to determine the qualification slots for this season so that the rules are known in advance. Right now clubs are aiming for some undetermined objective.

I guess it just has to be seen as 4th place if CL and if 5th gets it that's a bonus.

It is nothing different from the five year coefficient that decides how many CL spots each country gets. It is calculated at the end of each season and applied to the following season. If the impossible happened and England dropped out of the top 4 on that list, we would have two CL spots next season instead of four.

8 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

We are actually joint 14th with Croatia, not that it makes it any better.

I assume you don’t count us among the scum 6 clubs in Europe, but who is the second non-scum club of the 8 in Europe?

Brighton.  Actually, i forgot Chelsea & Spurs weren't in Europe anyway...   so only 4 of the original scum, plus Villa, West Ham, Brighton and Newcastle.

42 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Win the next two PL games and there is a remote possibility Villa would be top of the league...

Unbelievable that we can think it is a possibility!

Dreams, faith, reality....

UTV

Win the next game and there is a remote possibility Villa are top of the league 😁

Like extremely remote but it's possible.

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

It is nothing different from the five year coefficient that decides how many CL spots each country gets. It is calculated at the end of each season and applied to the following season. If the impossible happened and England dropped out of the top 4 on that list, we would have two CL spots next season instead of four.

And I still find that strange

We've got to get fit to stand a chance at making UCL. If we can get Moreno and JJ healthy and Diego match fit, that would ease the burden somewhat and we wouldn't be forced to field the Chambers and Tielemans of the world.

We can probably rely on Man City getting to the semi's of the champions league, and arsenal will probably escape their group. That alone is enough to get us in the top 4. We will need one of our clubs to win something though I think if we want to be in the top 2.

Would be just our luck to finish 4th in the first season forever when we don't get 4 spots.

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

We can probably rely on Man City getting to the semi's of the champions league, and arsenal will probably escape their group. That alone is enough to get us in the top 4. We will need one of our clubs to win something though I think if we want to be in the top 2.

Would be just our luck to finish 4th in the first season forever when we don't get 4 spots.

Maybe my fault for talking about the five year coefficient that decide on who gets 4 CL spots. It is already guaranteed that we keep our 4 CL spots for next season, even if English teams lost every match in Europe from now and until the end of the season. So don’t worry about it, there will be 4 CL spots for the top 4 in the PL.

England’s five year coefficient is already 90.3, because our good record the previous 4 seasons, and that have been good enough for 2nd place in previous season. In other words, there will be 4 CL spots for England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Newcastle winning is important for us, better for them and Utd to qualify than go to Europa League (which they can win). It might affect their league games as well. So we can get points for the 5th place and it affects their league position. Same with Brighton and Liverpool.

20 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Having to root for rival English clubs so Villa has access to the 5th UCL spot is painful.

To be honest we need to root for all 3 Europa teams so they don’t get to our competition. I’m worried about Brighton coming. So hopefully the all qualify. Then regarding CL I don’t think any of them can win it realistically apart from City. Again I guess all of the qualifying would make them focusing on both which can affect their league performances (such as us). Newcastle going to Europa isn’t ideal as they’ll have a big chance winning it. 
I guess supporting those English clubs would benefit us even if there was no 5th CL spot. 
Yesterday I watched Brighton and kept cheering for them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest we need to root for all 3 Europa teams so they don’t get to our competition. I’m worried about Brighton coming. So hopefully the all qualify. Then regarding CL I don’t think any of them can win it realistically apart from City. Again I guess all of the qualifying would make them focusing on both which can affect their league performances (such as us). Newcastle going to Europa isn’t ideal as they’ll have a big chance winning it. 
I guess supporting those English clubs would benefit us even if there was no 5th CL spot. 
Yesterday I watched Brighton and kept cheering for them. 

The other issue is if one of the Europa teams (say Brighton) win it and qualify for the Champions League. They finish 6th or lower in the Premier League. 

England get 5 spots in the CL due to coefficients, but Brighton now also get a CL spot.   I'm sure i read somewhere that England would NOT be given 6 spots, therefore the lowest league spot (5th place) would be given to Brighton.

So we want the Europa teams to do well for now, but not so well they go and win it.  Not such a issue with Liverpool as they'll probably finish top4/5 in the PL anyway.

Edited by ender4

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The other issue is if one of the Europa teams (say Brighton) win it and qualify for the Champions League. They finish 6th or lower in the Premier League. 

England get 5 spots in the CL due to coefficients, but Brighton now also get a CL spot.   I'm sure i read somewhere that England would NOT be given 6 spots, therefore the lowest league spot (5th place) would be given to Brighton.

So we want the Europa teams to do well for now, but not so well they go and win it.  Not such a issue with Liverpool as they'll probably finish top4/5 in the PL anyway.

Winning the CL or EL has no impact on league qualification.  You could in theory have 7 English teams in the CL next season: Top 4 - Extra 5th Spot - CL Winners & EL winners provided the finish outside the top 5. 

• Like 1