Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

We've lost Emi, Mings, moreno, Ramsey and Carlos, I'm not surprised our performances have been like this - lack real quality in the backup positions, he's trying to integrate them and get them up to speed but you can't polish a turd 

This is the main issue. Those 5 are some big probable first team players for us.  Without them our depth is going down to those players who probably don't have a long-term future at Villa. But Emery has to use them for now as 5th place is probably the remit that Emery is working to, with everything else being a bonus.

• Like 1

I think we are, to an extent, already in a downturn in form.  I'd say the only games we've looked anywhere near convincing so far this season are Hibernian, Everton league game and Burnley.  Of those Hibs and Everton were strolls due to the awfulness of the opposition on the days.  Yet we are 6th in the league with positive goal difference.  That may be partly down to some luck but considering who we have played and where, could also down to us now being the kind of team that can pick up enough results and points even when not playing well.  Sure if luck starts to go against us we could hit a bad run of results but we've already had more than our fair share of bad luck with injuries.  I think the upside with our form is there is plenty of scope for us to improve and play much better - if new players bed in and start to implement Emery's instructions better, injured players return, others return to form, and we start to gel as a team.  If some or all of that happens we could be a real force to be reckoned with.           

• Like 1

I was pissed off last night about crashing out of another cup, but today I just accept we are a work in progress and it is going to take more time (maybe much more time) until we can compete on several fronts and all cups etc. Emery still hasn’t been in position for 12 months and look at the progress already. Monchi has only had half a transfer window to impact the squad but we are stronger than we were (injuries not withstanding). Based on where we play our strongest team Emery clearly prioritises the league and you cannot criticise our league performances - this is a taste of things to come once Emery has overhauled the entire squad. This feels like a Liverpool with Klopp or Arsenal with Arteta type project so we have to be ready to allow a few seasons for all the pieces to fall into place.

7 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I was pissed off last night about crashing out of another cup, but today I just accept we are a work in progress and it is going to take more time (maybe much more time) until we can compete on several fronts and all cups etc. Emery still hasn’t been in position for 12 months and look at the progress already. Monchi has only had half a transfer window to impact the squad but we are stronger than we were (injuries not withstanding). Based on where we play our strongest team Emery clearly prioritises the league and you cannot criticise our league performances - this is a taste of things to come once Emery has overhauled the entire squad. This feels like a Liverpool with Klopp or Arsenal with Arteta type project so we have to be ready to allow a few seasons for all the pieces to fall into place.

I would imagine Emery has been told by NSWE what to prioritise this season.  The PL is top priority, that goes without saying, there is a strong possibility we can challenge for 5th. Next by guess would be the Europa Conference, then FA Cup, then League Cup.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I would imagine Emery has been told by NSWE what to prioritise this season.  The PL is top priority, that goes without saying, there is a strong possibility we can challenge for 5th. Next by guess would be the Europa Conference, then FA Cup, then League Cup.

Yes agreed.  5th in the league has to be the main target even at the detriment to everything else.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Appreciate the patronising tone, but no. I just thought we didn't play very well and never looked like creating very much. Once Palace went ahead we didn't seem to have a way back into the game.

Fair enough we turned it around and finished very strongly, which is fantastic, but I think overall it wasn't a very good performance.

But each to their own

No patronising tone; just struggling to see how we were shit.  We had a good few decent chances first half but didn't score.  I haven't looked at match stats, but I imagine they'd show we were the dominant side - which we absolutely were.  It was just nowhere near a shit performance, even if you think Palace were somehow in control.

Last night, that was shit.  Not the Palace game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Definitely. The owners will choose the priorities for the team. That is their luxury for stumping up the money. Emery is seeing it through and we will suffer in the cups until we have a full squad of Emery players.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

If you told me 5th in the league and a conference finals - I would accept it in a heartbeat.

If you offered me 4th/5th place and knocked out of all the cups in the first round we enter - I’d bite your hand off. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

No patronising tone; just struggling to see how we were shit.  We had a good few decent chances first half but didn't score.  I haven't looked at match stats, but I imagine they'd show we were the dominant side - which we absolutely were.  It was just nowhere near a shit performance, even if you think Palace were somehow in control.

Last night, that was shit.  Not the Palace game.

Semantics really. I didn’t think we were very good, and for 80 minutes we didn’t look like getting anything from the game in my opinion. Which was really the point I was trying to make. 

Performances:

Newcastle - rubbish

Everton - great

Hibs - great

Burnley - great

Hibs - great

Liverpool - rubbish

Crystal Palace - average

Warsaw - terrible

Chelsea - ok

Everton - terrible

We're either due a great performance again, or our trajectory this season is us slowly getting worse.   But i still think that's because we're been missing Mings, Moreno, Buendia, Ramsey and Carlos.  All 5 are first team players.

• Like 1

Yeah it's hard to understate the loss of Mings, Moreno, Buendia, Ramsay. 4/11 players who played and started almost every game during our good form at the end of last year.

We're stumbling through the fixtures and, to be frank, Unai has focused most of his attention on the league and conference so far. The Legia lineup was rotated but we also had Chelsea (a potential European competitor no matter how shit they are) 3 days later.

Brighton (H) - Sep 30

Zrinjski (H) - Oct 5

Wolves (A) - Oct 8

I think a draw against Brighton would be a decent result given their form with a strong XI against Zrinjski for all 3 points and let's be honest - it's Wolves - I wouldn't be unhappy with a point given we can't beat the dog head bastards. Much needed international break and hopefully full strength on the way back with JJ and Moreno returning.

West Ham (H) - Oct 22

AZ Alkmaar (A) - Oct 26

Luton (H) - Oct 29

Forest (A) - Nov 5

AZ Alkmaar (H) - Nov 9

Fulham (H) - Nov 12

6 games in 22 days. A game every 3/4 days. I think 9 points from the league would be the minimum given the fixtures there and you're hoping for 2 wins against AZ but who knows - maybe a win and a draw. Going to be a tricky set of fixtures to rotate as well.

That would give us 23 points after 12 league games - still keep tracking with our 2 PPG average and would also give us 7 points in conference.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read that Newcastles deal went from 5k with Castore to 40m with Adidas. Is this the difference we are talking about with Champions League football and why it should always be the number one goal. It’s crazy! 

Would rather win the Carabao Cup... 👀

Aside from that... surely you mean 5m ? 😂

• Haha 1

image.png.15d6f3c2945a2589d569b6c1961bee1b.png

We are 8 points better off than last seasons after 7 games. We have the same number points (15) that we had after 14 games.

Are next 7 are: Wolves(a), West Ham(h), Luton(h), Nottingham(a), Fulham(h), Tottenham(a) and Bournemouth(a). All potentially winnable games, we have the  opportunity to build a sizeable lead over last season.

If we improve on last season's point total, we would be in the mix for a place in Europe.

If we can keep the return of 2 points per game, we are more or less guaranteed to play CL football next season.

• Like 2