Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

We're not making top 4. We're not ready yet.

Injury problems and other teams have much stronger squads.

Coupled with additional games in Europe I think we have a squad good enough to finish 6th and that's where I'd like for us to finish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

I'm trying to remember the last time in August, we knew that the coming premier league season wouldnt involve any kind of relegation battle for Villa. About ten years ago, or longer? It's such a great position to be in now.

Probably 2009?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Coupled with additional games in Europe I think we have a squad good enough to finish 6th and that's where I'd like for us to finish.

I'd say a lot of teams don't look ready, including ones that have recently finished there like Man Utd and Newcastle 😆

I think beyond a couple of teams we have as good a chance as anyone 🙂

• Like 3

Just now, villan95 said:

I'd say a lot of teams don't look ready, including ones that have recently finished there like Man Utd and Newcastle 😆

I think beyond a couple of teams we have as good a chance as anyone 🙂

I would agree with you had Buendia and Mings not suffered long term injuries.

If we get the required points we will get CL football, ready or not. So far so good, we are on 2 points per game. If we can get something from next weekend, we are in a strong position this early in the season. 

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Troare and Duran coming on for us vs.  Darwin Nunez for Liverpool kind of highlights the gap in our squads. It's what will keep us from getting the UCL places.

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

As a football fan watching Man City over the last 5 to 10 years I noticed that they would very often score early in games, and obviously then invariably go on to win the games.

Towards the end of last season I noticed that we now do that. In fact, we have been in the lead around the 20 to 30 minute mark in 13 of our last 18 games. Thats incredible in terms of the platform we now give ourselves in matches. 

You look at today.

Cruising at 2-0 and then conceded a sloppy goal and had a dodgy spell for 10 minutes when Burnley had a few corners and an unmarked header that Olsen just about got around the post.

Even 18 months back we'd have caved in and it would've gone to 2-2 and then anything could've happened.

Instead we scored a quality counter attack goal and then the game was practically over as we managed the game superbly and really should've scored at least another.

That's what top teams do home and away and we've shown over the last six months we can manage games we're leading very well.

It dosen't look much currently but I think as the months go on this will start to look a bit of a statement win.

• Like 1

Just now, nepal_villan said:

Troare and Duran coming on for us vs.  Darwin Nunez for Liverpool kind of highlights the gap in our squads. It's what will keep us from getting the UCL places.

Liverpool are stacked in attack but I wouldn't say their backup defenders and midfielders are better than what we have so it's a trade off.

Spurs and Chelsea don't really have much in the way in terms of back up for their main CFs either.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, turvontour said:

As a football fan watching Man City over the last 5 to 10 years I noticed that they would very often score early in games, and obviously then invariably go on to win the games.

Towards the end of last season I noticed that we now do that. In fact, we have been in the lead around the 20 to 30 minute mark in 13 of our last 18 games. Thats incredible in terms of the platform we now give ourselves in matches. 

That a really good point.  When we’ve gone ahead in the past, we’d still end up conceding and drawing or losing the game but I don’t feel that will happen nowadays. 

• Like 1

The Liverpool match is very important to judge where we are in regards to the top 5 race.   If we want to finish 5th we are going to have to be consistent against the lower teams but also pull off a few shock wins against the current top 4.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I'm trying to remember the last time in August, we knew that the coming premier league season wouldnt involve any kind of relegation battle for Villa. About ten years ago, or longer? It's such a great position to be in now.

Definitely longer. In 2010 - even though we shouldn't have been worried, I was concerned the moment MoN left.

Lost 6-0 to Newcastle in the second week. Was definitely concerned then.

So 2009 for me 😅