Nico Williams

RicRic

On 18/06/2023 at 22:51, GlobalVillan said:

There's absolutely no way we are signing this player. At least not this pre season. I would far rather see threads created when there are several credible links. This hasn't even got one and never will.

Wats a credible link? A hand written note from NAS or Wes?

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Wats a credible link? A hand written note from NAS or Wes?

Percy reporting interest probably. Ornstein isn't too bad either from memory.

Tielemans link initially got dismissed but then 3-4 high profile journalists started saying interest from us was credible. 

Not sure that's the case here.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tielemans link initially got dismissed but then 3-4 high profile journalists started saying interest from us was credible. 

That may be the case on this ovvassyChris but there are posters that can’t wait to shoot down every piece of speculation which is bizarre given that we have consistently said we are interested in expanding the squad over recent months and we of course do need too particularly as we will be trying to compete domestically and in Europe. I’m fairly sure the same posters will bemoan our lack of signings the minute thewindow slams shut!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That may be the case on this ovvassyChris but there are posters that can’t wait to shoot down every piece of speculation which is bizarre given that we have consistently said we are interested in expanding the squad over recent months and we of course do need too particularly as we will be trying to compete domestically and in Europe. I’m fairly sure the same posters will bemoan our lack of signings the minute thewindow slams shut!

Basque players do have insane buyout clauses in fairness. Think Man. City were looking at Mikel Oyarzabal 3 years ago and were quoted about 80m so walked away. Plus there's the emotional pull of coming through and playing for Bilbao, it's basically a national team playing in club football.

He's a very exciting prospect but I do think people are expecting him to come in and do something crazy like score 15 goals and create another 10. Not sure he'd live up to that expectation at this point in his career and moving abroad for the first time.

When Navas moved to Man. City from Sevilla his productivity output wasn't amazing and eventually played at RB for them. He was also 27 when he moved.

Funnily enough I actually think his brother would be a good pick up for us, very quick and tends to average 8-10 goals a season so would be solid backup for Ollie. Inaki Williams is 29 so guessing he wants to see out his career at Bilbao but he wouldn't be a bad player to target and then perhaps Nico would follow in the future.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Basque players do have insane buyout clauses in fairness. Think Man. City were looking at Mikel Oyarzabal 3 years ago and were quoted about 80m so walked away. Plus there's the emotional pull of coming through and playing for Bilbao, it's basically a national team playing in club football.

He's a very exciting prospect but I do think people are expecting him to come in and do something crazy like score 15 goals and create another 10. Not sure he'd live up to that expectation at this point in his career and moving abroad for the first time.

When Navas moved to Man. City from Sevilla his productivity output wasn't amazing and eventually played at RB for them. He was also 27 when he moved.

Funnily enough I actually think his brother would be a good pick up for us, very quick and tends to average 8-10 goals a season so would be solid backup for Ollie. Inaki Williams is 29 so guessing he wants to see out his career at Bilbao but he wouldn't be a bad player to target and then perhaps Nico would follow in the future.

For me it’s more about the amount of frightening for other teams, we saw that with prime Adama and Saint Maximin…etc

Those players give our other players time to move which helps breaking the defence. What I want from him is sustainable threat during the game, wether he was scoring/assisting much or not is secondary if he’ll be able to open locked defences.

Matteo Morreto is fairly well respected.

Whilst the rules weren't exactly followed because there's no article by a good source for Nico.. Morreto is a much better source than has been used to start other threads. Not to mention its picking up on pretty concrete interest from January.

Tom Collomosse: Aston Villa will revive interest in Nico Williams in the summer

I also don't think we'll get this over the line. But theres no reason to whinge that it's being discussed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ornstein is in a tier of his own when it comes to football news so his a lot better than isn’t too bad. The only non-Villa football journalist I have notifications on for tweets. He was the first one to report Tielemans being a done deal. 

Whenever I see links in the foreign media I always wait to see if it’s backed up by a Villa journo because if there is any truth it doesn’t take too long for it to be reported by one of them. Pretty sure I’ve read by Matt Maher and Tom Collomosse that Villa were interested in Nico Williams but looks like this deal just too difficult to do. 

13 minutes ago, RichW said:

Ornstein is in a tier of his own when it comes to football news so his a lot better than isn’t too bad. The only non-Villa football journalist I have notifications on for tweets. He was the first one to report Tielemans being a done deal. 

Whenever I see links in the foreign media I always wait to see if it’s backed up by a Villa journo because if there is any truth it doesn’t take too long for it to be reported by one of them. Pretty sure I’ve read by Matt Maher and Tom Collomosse that Villa were interested in Nico Williams but looks like this deal just too difficult to do. 

He also knew about the Ings deal but was confirming it when Villa announced it. He's mentioned a few times how frustrated he was not going with it but wanting to get extra confirmation thinking he had more time to break it later that day. 

He is the top of the tree imo in terms of PL. I respect the Athletic they have a lot of good information and they pride themselves on being accurate. They need to for people to pay subscription

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He also knew about the Ings deal but was confirming it when Villa announced it. He's mentioned a few times how frustrated he was not going with it but wanting to get extra confirmation thinking he had more time to break it later that day. 

He is the top of the tree imo in terms of PL. I respect the Athletic they have a lot of good information and they pride themselves on being accurate. They need to for people to pay subscription

Apart from Gregg Evans who unfortunately covers us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

For me it’s more about the amount of frightening for other teams, we saw that with prime Adama and Saint Maximin…etc

Those players give our other players time to move which helps breaking the defence. What I want from him is sustainable threat during the game, wether he was scoring/assisting much or not is secondary if he’ll be able to open locked defences.

These are all good points and I’m glad to be able to read them which I couldn’t without this thread which many people want to close down for some strange reason 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Adama "all fart and no poo" Traore?

Our game against Wolves in our first season, every time he gets the ball, pur players and us fans used to get panicked which leads to a dangerous attack to them.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Listen to yourself. There is a speculation thread that's sole purpose is to discuss potential transfers and spurious links. Starting threads on players for no good reason is just pointless when we have a thread SPECIFICALLY for it.

I am not "shooting down" anything, I am pointing out that some of the threads that get started are totally baseless. We may as well start a Messi thread if we are going to just keep starting player threads with no basis of truth. Maybe an Mbappe one.

We have a transfer speculation thread. That's where the vast majority of these player "links" belong.  That's my point. 

Its really not hard to understand. Now try and relax a bit and stop digging at other posters.

Messi has his thread 😁

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Haha. Really? We actually have a thread about signing Messi? Not sure if you are serious but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was one. 😀

Yes I am, it was here last month but then moved to Other Football.

For me it’s hard to say what’s a credible source or not, but as long as there is an ok source, it’s fun to have a thread while no games are there during summer. 

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

If by "ok source" then you mean a credible link, backed up by various independent sources then I would agree with you on that. 

Anyway, this is one signing I'm quite certain we won't be making this summer. 

We find ourselves in the awkward position of being too good to be improved by players that will easily come to us, yet not good enough/dodgy enough/alluring enough to be able to beat CL sides to signings that WOULD improve us.

We just have to hope the Emery factor sways a few of our targets, unlike Asensio, who was off to PSG the minute they got involved. We will see a lot of that unfortunately. Its part of getting to the next level and something we have to find a way to get past more often, like we did with Kamara. 

Don’t take it seriously, even ok sources most likely won’t get it right. Just have fun while it lasts. 
People still remember Kiyotake, Dale Stephens, Miguel, Raschia…etc

It’s part of the summer fun, we all know most of links won’t happen. Just discuss them, laugh at them, otherwise what’s the point? 
Add to that the fact that it makes us recognize more players which we haven’t even hard of. For me Football is totally Villa, then through playing Fantasy Premier League I get to know more Premier League players. Apart from that mostly those links are which make me focus on certain players. So when we were linked to Williams last winter, when I watch Bilbao I try to have more focus on him. So basically the amount of players I know through VT is huge. Just have fun while summer is there until we get back to the league.

So let’s discuss us trying to Get Mbappe while he’s planning to leave PSG. 😁

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 22:51, GlobalVillan said:

There's absolutely no way we are signing this player. At least not this pre season. I would far rather see threads created when there are several credible links. This hasn't even got one and never will.

Maybe, but apparently we offered his release figure in January and he turned us down to remain until the seasons end (only for his form to dip, he got stick and left social media). Emery has allegedly met with him and his representatives outside Bilbao this summer. 

I would suggest this has more than most so warrants its own thread?

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Maybe, but apparently we offered his release figure in January and he turned us down to remain until the seasons end (only for his form to dip, he got stick and left social media). Emery has allegedly met with him and his representatives outside Bilbao this summer. 

The words in bold are the key ones in your post. 

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

All seems a bit fishy to me

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2023 at 01:01, GlobalVillan said:

Its really not hard to understand. Now try and relax a bit and stop digging at other posters.

Will do whatever you say I wouldn’t dream of disagreeing with you. Ok precious?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Â