Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

32 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

This is what was on DHgate but has now been removed. 

20230704_211930.jpg

Still see it where I ordered it from (couldn’t resist the fun of doing it). But if this is true and the 3rd sucks, I’ll order a real version of this… in UEFA conference style. 

(Also if Villa wanted to help defuse the PR BK8 bomb a bit, selling the kit with an add on for like acorns on the back under numbers would be a good shout)

29 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Wasn't that a mock-up from earlier in this very thread anyway?

Hello Mr. Shandong, you industrious little fellow. Don't be shy.

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

In my experience of football that's not accurate.

Yes, shit teams like Small Heath would get whatever royal blue was in the catalogue, but any team in the top division of their national league (and national teams) would get their exact colour unless they didn't have a specific reference.

It wasn't always Pantone - for instance the Italy "sky blue" - was referenced from a swatch of an old shirt.  It would only be if a team said, say, "we play in bright red" that we'd be free to make proposals or put them in whatever our standard team equivalent was.

That's actually the point I was making (referencing college and lower level pro teams as opposed to the very top pro franchises/leagues).  Wolves are a great example with their old gold, they had a kit just a few years ago (adidas?) that was basically yellow, not even close in colour to their true old gold. Villa, Wet Spam, Burnley all get lumped into a single claret category and the manufacturer will produce whatever their version is.  Our Diadora kits a few years ago were extremely light, whereas the Under Armour ones were probably the darkest I've seen.  I'd bet if you could find Villa and Wet Spam kits produced in the same year by the same manufacturer (not sure it's ever happened to be honest) the shade of claret would be identical (if the material had the same density/absorbency). 

Pantone was originally created for printing/printed material and has been adapted more recently for digital. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It's a little boring if correct.

I prefer it to the home kit - but it still feels "close but no cigar".  It just feels like another generic kit design with a nod to colours used on a previous kit.  Maybe I am being too harsh - but like the home shirt it feels like a bit of a rush job by someone whose been told to make it look a bit like this old kit that everyone seemed to like.  I don't know maybe everything "classy" has already been done and anything "new" looks too jarring (West Ham's kit for the final was just a complete embarrassment).  I really hope that this is something that Heck changes quickly - we need a design that immediately looks like Villa, can't be confused at a distance with West Ham or Burnley AND that feels like it has been designed by someone who gets Villa.

6 hours ago, FLVillan said:

That's actually the point I was making (referencing college and lower level pro teams as opposed to the very top pro franchises/leagues).  Wolves are a great example with their old gold, they had a kit just a few years ago (adidas?) that was basically yellow, not even close in colour to their true old gold. Villa, Wet Spam, Burnley all get lumped into a single claret category and the manufacturer will produce whatever their version is.  Our Diadora kits a few years ago were extremely light, whereas the Under Armour ones were probably the darkest I've seen.  I'd bet if you could find Villa and Wet Spam kits produced in the same year by the same manufacturer (not sure it's ever happened to be honest) the shade of claret would be identical (if the material had the same density/absorbency). 

Pantone was originally created for printing/printed material and has been adapted more recently for digital. 

You guys keep making me think of this 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I'd be shocked if a club the size of Villa was given a standard colour - unless that's something the club themselves are happy with, ie "here's our regular claret - will that work for you?"

I know for a fact that West Ham's colour is dyed up to a reference by Umbro.

On the Pantone front - you're right that they were created for printed colour references, but they then expanded out into dyed cotton swatches before moving into digital.

If I were running brand at Villa, I'd partner with a US-based company called CSI (no, not the TV show) which can create a bespoke reference swatch from anything and will then provide not just the swatch but the dye recipes to any supplier who requires it.  No excuses for the brand then.

TL; DR - my expectation would be that Villa themselves have been "not that arsed" about a specific claret for the brand and that's why we've ended up with everything from blood to Ribena on our kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Oh dear

Am I missing a joke here? The badge is sewn on isn't it?

Edit: apparently not... sewn badge but glued on to the kit. Madness

Edited by MrBlack

4 hours ago, withes_shin said:

Isn't this a mock up that somebody posted on here a month or so ago?

Also the sleeve sponsor is incorrect.

20230704_211930.jpg

Did the badge fall off this one too? 🤣