UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

What if you’re leaving the house and the car gets cancelled? Have you considered that? 

replacement car service (which won't turn up).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Said no one ever...

There’s a lot to be said for Slough.

It has the largest privately owned industrial trading estate in europe, and ‘musician’ Gary Numan was born there.

And that’s just for starters.

• Haha 1

More convenient that a Tesco express
Close to Windsor but the properties less
Keeps the businesses of Britain great
It's got Europe's biggest trading estate

It doesn't matter where you're from
You wanna work? Then come along
The station's just got a new floor
And the motorway runs by your door

And you know just where you're heading
It's equidistance 'tween London and Reading

Oh Slough
My kind of town
I don't know how, anyone could put you down

To the West you got Taplow and Bray
You got Hillingdon the other way
It's a brilliant place to live and work
It was in Bucks now officially it's Berks

Don't listen to what the critics say
Like it's soulless, and boring and grey
See for yourself, what you waiting for?
We're on the Bath road, that's the A4

And you know just where you'll be heading
It's equidistance 'tween London and Reading

Oh Slough
My kind of town

Oh Slough
My kind of town

Great tune link

On 27/10/2023 at 19:33, Xela said:

There is a whole new town (Lawley Village) in Telford like that. Vast majority of homes have no greenery or parking, despite everyone having 4 kids and 3 cars. 

I moved out of Telford in 2005. I knew Telford like the back of my hand, I knew every inch of that place. About 10 years ago I ended up driving through Lawley village and I thought, where the **** has this come from, a whole new area built overnight. Souless place of course, but a lot of the new builds over that end are. Donnington for life yo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I moved out of Telford in 2005. I knew Telford like the back of my hand, I knew every inch of that place. About 10 years ago I ended up driving through Lawley village and I thought, where the **** has this come from, a whole new area built overnight. Souless place of course, but a lot of the new builds over that end are. Donnington for life yo.

They're going to build another 1500 houses in and around Horsehay apparently. No word on any additional infrastructure. Just loads more soulless boxes. 

The folks are looking at moving, but I told them wherever they go, it'll be the same. 

• Like 1

It just shouldn't be allowed, just chucking up more and more houses but with zero amenities, it should be a requirement if you're building more than X amount you need to build a park, then shop, any more and a school too, then community centres, library, theatre, cinema, god forbid a small museum or a pub. Instead it's just nah let's build another 20k soulless boxes. 

I drove through and stopped for a bit in Ashby DLZ the other day for the first time in about 8-9 years. I couldn't believe how many houses they've built there, must be 30,000.

over in the wales we have all that shizzle about building schools and amenities so its all gravy but then of course they dont actually have to build them just say they will and wait for people to move there and then suck their teeth a lot and tell them to get ****ed while they keep all the money. It's great. my friends who live next to the M4 now are so glad they bought a new build mid project.....

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I need to go to Slough, at a specific time on a specific day.

Car = £30 fuel

Train = £269.20 (plus parking at the train station)

decisions, decisions…

It must be nice to have a choice.

15 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It just shouldn't be allowed, just chucking up more and more houses but with zero amenities, it should be a requirement if you're building more than X amount you need to build a park, then shop, any more and a school too, then community centres, library, theatre, cinema, god forbid a small museum or a pub. Instead it's just nah let's build another 20k soulless boxes. 

I drove through and stopped for a bit in Ashby DLZ the other day for the first time in about 8-9 years. I couldn't believe how many houses they've built there, must be 30,000.

But on the other hand we are in desperate need of another 3-5 million houses for our current population, so more restrictions on building houses would slow it down even more. 

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But on the other hand we are in desperate need of another 3-5 million houses for our current population, so more restrictions on building houses would slow it down even more. 

But I don't fancy another 3.5 million houses without amenities, schools, doctors, shops. 

16 hours ago, Xela said:

They're going to build another 1500 houses in and around Horsehay apparently. No word on any additional infrastructure. Just loads more soulless boxes. 

The folks are looking at moving, but I told them wherever they go, it'll be the same. 

There are some lovely new build estates. I agree many/most are soulless streets with not enough parking and look a mess as soon as they are populated… but there are some nice places too. I wouldn’t tar all new builds with the same brush.

I’m very happy where I live. It’s a street of 24 houses (3, 4 and 5 bed detached). A green and small woodland to the front. Large green space to the side with 2 huge oak trees. A “woodland walk” around the entire estate which branches off to the canal and neighbouring nature reserve. Quiet, peaceful, green, tidy, nature on the doorstep.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But I don't fancy another 3.5 million houses without amenities, schools, doctors, shops. 

This is another area this government are robbing us.

When builders buy land for houses they also have to stump up millions to pay for infrastructure associated with more houses, the money then vanishes.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's the governments responsibility to provide that, and what our taxes are meant to pay for.

Edited by ender4

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

That's the governments responsibility to provide that, and what our taxes are meant to pay for.

See above, builders provide the money for these… then the government don’t provide. 

At some point i’ll have to dig out the paperwork from when we bought our house. There were pages and pages of things the builder had to pay for on top of the land. 

Top of the list was 4 point something million for a new primary school. Then cumulatively millions more on doctors, dentists, other schools, roads, sports facilities, bus facilities etc etc etc.

The government is right to push for this money to come from the private sector who are profiting from the purchase of public land… but it would be lovely if they actually spent it on the things it was claimed for.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is another area this government are robbing us.

When builders buy land for houses they also have to stump up millions to pay for infrastructure associated with more houses, the money then vanishes.

They need to concentrate on building decent houses first. Boxes full of insulation with a garden big enough for a window box.

Can't believe a EV charger is not even standard now. Penny pinching, house builders making profits like pharmaceutical companies lately.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They need to concentrate on building decent houses first. Boxes full of insulation with a garden big enough for a window box.

Can't believe a EV charger is not even standard now. Penny pinching, house builders making profits like pharmaceutical companies lately.

The builders will build based on the law. They aren’t going to spent another £1500 per house putting something in which isn’t required by law. 

Why have you singled out insulation as a negative by the way?

Edited by Genie

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s a lot to be said for Slough.

It has the largest privately owned industrial trading estate in europe, and ‘musician’ Gary Numan was born there.

And that’s just for starters.

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs, and blow to smithereens
Those air-conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town -
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week for half-a-crown