UK Strategic Planning

chrisp65

1 minute ago, Genie said:

HS3, London to Cardiff.

Yeah, would that be 10 years of people trying to argue it will help London companies get to meetings in Splott far quicker?

Followed by spending the money on London roads.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2024 at 21:58, chrisp65 said:

For at least 10 years Westminster, the local Labour MP, and the Welsh government have known that the privately owned steel works in Port Talbot was in trouble. Thousands of jobs, UK steel making. Livelihoods and industry under threat. Proposals for a dedicated green energy power station to serve the steelworks, plans the local authority planners wouldn’t support, governments wouldn’t invest in.

10 years for every layer of government to see what was coming down the road and have a plan B.

Nothing.

Nothing from anybody. 

What went wrong out of interest? Only a few months since Super Rishi saved the industry 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

What went wrong out of interest? Only a few months since Super Rishi saved the industry 

Well, it’s a generation of stuff going wrong so it would be a bit shallow to simply blame the current bunch of imposters out of their depth pretending they are politicians. I mean, if you were structuring a deal in the hundreds of millions, would your dream team be Rishi Sunak, Badenoch with the toilet obsession, and Davies who just plain doesn’t like anything Welsh. But as I say, it was being driven in this direction prior to these clowns.

The local Labour MP is Kinnock, some might spend their time looking to save thousands of jobs, others might spend their time putting a milk frother on their Parliamentary expenses. An absolute charlatan.

We did hand over the money by the way, we the tax payer have given Tata the £500 million. We just didn’t tie it to the preservation of jobs or the creation of new jobs. It could have been more than £500million, but Westminster had to deduct £2billion as the contribution to the england and wales joint project known as HS2. Now HS2 is all but scrapped, that money will now repair London pot holes. So it isn’t being returned. Mustn’t grumble. 

You’ll recall Tata also wanted money and a location for the new battery gigafactory. At the same time they are wondering what they could do with the 9,000 working in Port Talbot, the existing redundant dock facility visible from the motorway, and the vast swathes of redundant industrial land...

The Tory government gave them money to set up the other side of the Severn, over in Tory Somerset. No point wasting money in the Talbot, just write them off, stick them on prescriptions, then declare them lazy. Rinse and repeat economic strategy playbook. On the brighter side, house prices should crash and a wave of slum landlords should be able to clear a little bit of profit off it at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a generation of stuff going wrong so it would be a bit shallow to simply blame the current bunch of imposters out of their depth pretending they are politicians. I mean, if you were structuring a deal in the hundreds of millions, would your dream team be Rishi Sunak, Badenoch with the toilet obsession, and Davies who just plain doesn’t like anything Welsh. But as I say, it was being driven in this direction prior to these clowns.

The local Labour MP is Kinnock, some might spend their time looking to save thousands of jobs, others might spend their time putting a milk frother on their Parliamentary expenses. An absolute charlatan.

We did hand over the money by the way, we the tax payer have given Tata the £500 million. We just didn’t tie it to the preservation of jobs or the creation of new jobs. It could have been more than £500million, but Westminster had to deduct £2billion as the contribution to the england and wales joint project known as HS2. Now HS2 is all but scrapped, that money will now repair London pot holes. So it isn’t being returned. Mustn’t grumble. 

You’ll recall Tata also wanted money and a location for the new battery gigafactory. At the same time they are wondering what they could do with the 9,000 working in Port Talbot, the existing redundant dock facility visible from the motorway, and the vast swathes of redundant industrial land...

The Tory government gave them money to set up the other side of the Severn, over in Tory Somerset. No point wasting money in the Talbot, just write them off, stick them on prescriptions, then declare them lazy. Rinse and repeat economic strategy playbook. On the brighter side, house prices should crash and a wave of slum landlords should be able to clear a little bit of profit off it at least.

The same Somerset that has an average age of about 70,  where's the labour coming from for this mega factory? 

• 3 weeks later...

More levelling up news.

It looks like London might be getting another tunnel under the Thames, close to London City Airport.

About time London had a share of the cake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A good water company executive these days is hard to find. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuine question. Is it down to water companies to determine future growth in water needs, assess sites for reservoir suitability and apply for permission to build them?  I’ve no quibble with them being profiteering, polluting scumbags, but didn’t know it was their job to plan for this stuff.

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

Genuine question. Is it down to water companies to determine future growth in water needs, assess sites for reservoir suitability and apply for permission to build them?  I’ve no quibble with them being profiteering, polluting scumbags, but didn’t know it was their job to plan for this stuff.

Thames Water, Southern, and others have sold off reservoirs.

I guess the question, should the water monopoly in your area be responsible for planning to supply sufficient water, is essentially a political one.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blandy said:

I would think it is. They're supposed to fulfill the water needs of their customers.  I'm sure they'd need to project that need and do what's needed to meet it. 

Edited by sidcow

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Thames Water, Southern, and others have sold off reservoirs.

I guess the question, should the water monopoly in your area be responsible for planning to supply sufficient water, is essentially a political one.

Ta. Presumably to housing developers. Presumably housing shortages are something of a long standing problem?

I’m not defending it, by the way. Just wondering if the interlinked complexity of different issues isn’t more complex than a headline or a tweet. It seems like by being laisse faire government has allowed long term planning and so on to just be neglected and not even understood or considered.

The network, and it is a network isn’t just a “local” thing. Dryer places get water from wetter ones and stuff.  So as you’ve posted before, Wales sells water to Merseyside or wherever. The South east gets water from the midlands or East Anglia or wherever. So while the network is joined up, at least to a degree, it looks like the national uk thinking isn’t.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would think it is. They're supposed to fulfill the water needs of their customers

In the future, water will be the cause of wars. Scaling that conflict back, Wales, say, might decide it needs to stop sending water to neighbouring places, because needs the water there for locals. Or take any region and similar circs. So leaving planning and responsibility to local companies or authorities isn’t an answer, though they surely need to be involved?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s almost as if leaving water supply to an overseas entity legally obliged to extract profit might not be the best idea.

They will need to manage demand, so meters all around. One last run of increased profits before handing the franchise back as untenable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s almost as if leaving water supply to an overseas entity legally obliged to extract profit might not be the best idea.

It is, yes. I agree.

I guess the problem is that if the state runs it all, then the department for water might well get its budget cut, because austerity, or because the NHS or education or whatever is deemed more politically necessary. I mean there were nationwide hose pipe bans and stuff in the 1970s and a big kerfuffle about water pipes leaking and so on.

Whichever model of ownership there is, the problem is ineffective control and regulation.

There are 1,700 second homes, or long term vacant homes in neath Port Talbot. The local authority have just voted to increase rates for these properties to 200% above ‘normal’ rates. That is, you’ll now be paying 300% rates on an empty property or second home.

It’ll be interesting to see at what price point this actually impacts the number of empty and second homes. In the meantime, the LA are estimating this will raise £2.4million in additional revenue, or release homes back on to the market.

• Like 2

Â