1. 1. New RB - who you going for?

• Cash or Young
    • Wan Bissaka
    • Foyth
    • Simakan
    • Tomiyasu
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/23 at 18:02

We need to be aware that the RB under Emery isnt a marauding/attacking fullback, the RB acts as a RB in the base formation, but when we have the ball the RB moves across to be the right centre back of a back 3 (CDL/CDR/RB make the back 3).

Moreno at LB, and the left back generally under Emery, is the attacking fullback.

Emery at Villarreal played a CB (Foyth) at RB, who then became part of that back 3 when they had the ball.

With that in mind, i almost wonder of Konsa or Carlos could play that role (depending on which one gets the RCB role) - ie: Moreno - Mings - Carlos - Konsa.

Would be nice to have a new RB tho.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We need to be aware that the RB under Emery isnt a marauding/attacking fullback, the RB acts as a RB in the base formation, but when we have the ball the RB moves across to be the right centre back of a back 3 (CDL/CDR/RB make the back 3).

Moreno at LB, and the left back generally under Emery, is the attacking fullback.

Emery at Villarreal played a CB (Foyth) at RB, who then became part of that back 3 when they had the ball.

With that in mind, i almost wonder of Konsa or Carlos could play that role (depending on which one gets the RCB role) - ie: Moreno - Mings - Carlos - Konsa.

Would be nice to have a new RB tho.

Yes on some occasions but in recent games Cash has been allowed to attack and play as a conventional rb, Emery signed Moreno for a different profile of fullback to play higher up the pitch almost as winger and Dinge to play in a more traditional way hence the reason they rotate.  The tactical approach in each game has been different so it’s not as straightforward to assume he only plays defensive fullbacks at RB . I think we need similar options on the right as we do on the left.

There is always the chance that Emery will not set up his Villa to play exactly like he set up his Villarreal. Especially since the opponents in the PL will not behave all that similar to the opponents he faced in La Liga, strengths and weaknesses.

Really looking forward to finding out next season once he gets to make his mark more on the squad.

I’d happily see us upgrade this/bring in younger competition for Cash as we have done with Digne/Moreno, but equally don’t think it’s a problem position as such. Curious to see where KKH is in the summer and how Young’s legs are doing. Cash is a totally reasonable midtable right back who will ultimately need replacing if we want to be challenging top six but is generally decent.

Edited by Adam2003

If Kaine Kesler-Hayden doesn’t step up, and Southampton go down Tino Livramento, when he returns to fitness could be a good pick up - looked class before doing his ACL. Max Aaron’s at Norwich is a strange one, never quite pushed on - yet. Both could be the next Tariq Lamptey who LT hasn’t pushed on from when he broke onto the scene - boy looked special. 

Wan Bissaka is literally the prototypical RB for Emery's system.  He's one of the best 1v1 defenders in the Premier League, rapid as fook, and led the league in defensive statistics for Palace before ManUre stalled out his career.  He's been playing very well for them this season, but I think they're going to try to offload him this summer for a more attacking fullback.