Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

if you saw Sky asking Poch about  Palmer signing fotr Chelsea the other day , unless he was having a really shit day , it looked quite  clear he has zero to no say in transfers and looked quite pissed about the whole thing 

Hopefully our approach will play dividends in the long run 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

I assume Qatar will not have to worry about tonights deadline to complete any possible Coutinho deal. Hence the lack of urgency on Phil's potential departure.

The club would obviously prefer the money in hand before completing any replacement deal.

I suppose we could have told them that regardless of their deadline they have to complete it today or we'll keep him. Just to try and hurry the deal along.

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

or more realistically the players we wanted to add weren't available or chose other clubs to join. Demebele joining PSG clearly scuppered the possibility of Torres joining. They were forced to sell Dembele instead basically.

Yes - been the story for a few consecutive windows now. Struggling to attract the big names. Still progress has been made but maybe not all at once as many were hoping. Need another season of Unai magic to keep the boat moving forward. 

10 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I suppose we could have told them that regardless of their deadline they have to complete it today or we'll keep him. Just to try and hurry the deal along.

I mean we can tell them that but they will know that any reasonable offer will get the deal done any time they like. I need to sell my clapped-out old car and I can say it has to be today to anyone interested… but I’ll still take the cash next week if they offer it!

(This is true if anyone needs a car, it’s in great shape I promise).

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Emery must be convinced that Watkins won't get injured for the entire season if we aren't bringing anyone else in.  Granted he is a fit lad but it is a bit of a gamble. Jonhson would have been a good signing but Spurs must have a bigger budget regardless of not being in Europe this season.

Or maybe he's confident that even if he does get injured, we'll find another way to play and score goals... And use the other players we have who can fill in as forwards as well?

• Like 1

Davis sale confirmed… Philogene n Phil next?

Hause?

-

Unai also said, in his presser, that Championship clubs are constantly enquiring about our young players and “we will see this afternoon” which ones leave, which stay and we use.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or maybe he's confident that even if he does get injured, we'll find another way to play and score goals... And use the other players we have who can fill in as forwards as well?

Considering we have scored 16 in 5 games and ollie got 3 against hibs only, I think we'll be ok if worst happens 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I mean we can tell them that but they will know that any reasonable offer will get the deal done any time they like. I need to sell my clapped-out old car and I can say it has to be today to anyone interested… but I’ll still take the cash next week if they offer it!

(This is true if anyone needs a car, it’s in great shape I promise).

True although he's already been used off the bench this season in both league matches he was available so at least we don't look that desperate to sell him. But you're right that any good offer over the next couple of weeks will likely lead to a sale regardless.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's the most tactically astute manager I think we've ever had, and incredibly meticulous with it, he'll have multiple plans in place if Watkins gets injured. We may not have a direct replacement for him in the squad, but it doesn't mean the end of the world if we have to play in a slightly different way to get the best out of a different kind of player. Unai sees solutions where others see problems.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

if you saw Sky asking Poch about  Palmer signing fotr Chelsea the other day , unless he was having a really shit day , it looked quite  clear he has zero to no say in transfers and looked quite pissed about the whole thing 

Hopefully our approach will play dividends in the long run 

This is definitely the case. During last Jan transfer window you could visible see Potter stressed out in press conferences about yet another new transfer to try and bed in. He was more or less saying: please no more, let me work with what I have. 

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Emery must be convinced that Watkins won't get injured for the entire season if we aren't bringing anyone else in.  Granted he is a fit lad but it is a bit of a gamble. Jonhson would have been a good signing but Spurs must have a bigger budget regardless of not being in Europe this season.

You do realise there is a January transfer window don't you?! 

Duran, Diaby and Zaniolo are fine cover for Watkins through a short term injury, potentially with a tweak to the system. If theres a long term injury then we will be badly impacted but we would no doubt line up the replacement for Jan 1st. Our sales and restraint in the summer gives us the flexibility to go big in January if there’s a good reason.