Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Don’t think we need or should spend on another CB… I’d like to see us put faith in the Pau and Carlos partnership - 2 elite CBs on their day, both Europa League winners and have played in the Champions League.

At their very best… they are or have been better players than Mings and Konsa… that may seem controversial, but in terms of ability and “peak form” they have been and have competed at the highest levels unlike those two (who have still been excellent, in no way a criticism)…

Allow Pau to play in his favoured and strongest position too, I think he’s being highly underestimated and underrated, just focus on that. Diego should bring us the physicality, presence and leadership we miss with Ty out… 😭

Having invested significant finances in them, we need to give them the chance to show their worth and demonstrate their abilities… rather than place too many doubts, there may have to be an adjustment period but I think we have to stick with it… we’re almost forced to now…

Aided by Konsa (competition) and Chambers who are versatile. Maybe even Dendoncker would be better suited adapting to a CB, due to his specific limitations and attributes, to help out… that’s if he sticks around… strength and ability in the air…

We could really do with genuine RB competition for Cash, or an upgrade. He is far too comfortable and assured of his place in the side…

Midfield…. Could we do with a major physical presence and leader? Someone to push Kamara and not guarantee him regular starts? Not sure… we do lack physicality (even moreso now 😭) in this side… it’s been a consistent theme/problem for us ( @TRO and me have been banging this drum for a long while)…

It’s our attack and build up that needs help and work… especially with the players missing…

Not shitting on Digne but he is definitely a downgrade on Moreno and holds us back significantly…

We need creators and killer finishers…

Fullbacks and attackers methinks…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Someone who could fill in at both would be nice wouldn't it.

Emery must not have liked Young behind the scenes. I'd have him over Digne every day of the week. I think he'd have stopped that first goal yesterday.

No.

Arnau Martínez would make a lot of sense. Also has a release clause of about half what Foyth has and I've concerns that Foyth might be a bit unsuited to the PL.

Fresnada is more of a pure RB but looks extremely interesting as a long term option. Honestly not watched much on Montiel either but he played for Argentina at the WC when Foyth was out and Monchi would know.

I'm kinda hoping we go for someone who is a long term solution to the RB situation but who knows what the budget is. Doubt we could "afford" Jeremie Frimpong for example

• Like 1

Ollie  (New forward) ?Zaniolo

JJ                                    Diaby  

kamara  Luiz 

Moreno Pau Carlos Konsa 

Emi

Is how i think we could line up when everyone’s back. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Ollie  (New forward) ?Zaniolo

JJ                                    Diaby  

kamara  Luiz 

Moreno Pau Carlos Konsa 

Emi

Is how i think we could line up when everyone’s back. 

I like the look of it…

but can we afford to drop McGinn?

Other than defence, the side looks lightweight and vulnerable…. Easy to get at and through… we need fight, physicality and aggression to go along with technique, skill and panache…

I wonder if we might now consider another centre back, but one with the physical attributes that Mings brings to the team. Recovery pace and aerial ability are the big two, leadership and communication obviously intangible and harder to judge. Somebody like Hancko maybe, would still allow us to persist with Pau at LB if that's to be the plan. 

Beyond that, a RB and wide midfielder/forward player still required. Maybe Zaniolo fills that wide role, I'm not convinced by him currently. I wonder if the links to the young Levante RB (Pubill?) were accurate?

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I like the look of it…

but can we afford to drop McGinn?

Other than defence, the side looks lightweight and vulnerable…. Easy to get at and through… we need fight, physicality and aggression to go along with technique, skill and panache…

Probably not, and I’d be happy for him to be on the right again and Diaby up top. Our whole squad is pretty lightweight to be fair

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Feeling less despondent the last hour or so.

If Emery proved anything last season it's that he can fashion a competitive team out of the resources at his disposal. 

Good way of looking at it… analysing what happened last season and the shitshow of SG, then the salvation/rescue job from Unai (qualifying for ECL FFS!) involving elevation of players, style, system, psychology, tactics etc….

should give us great hope…

We can recover from setbacks… we’ve seen Unai do it before…

and we can still bring in players of his choosing to help us…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Probably not, and I’d be happy for him to be on the right again and Diaby up top. Our whole squad is pretty lightweight to be fair

It is… especially now with Mings out. Diego could make up for it… hopefully he keeps progressing from here and becomes really important for us…

A Pau and Diego partnership does excite me… I have to admit… kind of a consolation if we can get the to adapt and gel fairly quickly…

Still feels like we need someone to exert dominance in midfield… show fight when the going gets tough. McGinn does his best…

7 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I wonder if we might now consider another centre back, but one with the physical attributes that Mings brings to the team. Recovery pace and aerial ability are the big two, leadership and communication obviously intangible and harder to judge. Somebody like Hancko maybe, would still allow us to persist with Pau at LB if that's to be the plan. 

Beyond that, a RB and wide midfielder/forward player still required. Maybe Zaniolo fills that wide role, I'm not convinced by him currently. I wonder if the links to the young Levante RB (Pubill?) were accurate?

Stop messing Pau about and stick him firmly in that LCB position I say… Diego and Konsa to compete for the spot next to him.

Cash is too comfortable and unchallenged, Digne is a big downgrade on Moreno and cannot offer what he does - I’d rather address the fullbacks than the CBs.

Just my opinion of course…

Pubill has moved to Almeria, Fresneda’s name is still being associated with us…

58 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You’ve been watching Everton too long!  This is not something we should do and I’m thankful that it’s very unlikely Emery will do this…I could see Everton doing this as I’ve said before with them already bidding for Gnonto and them liking ManU players, and Adams is a Dyche type player.  Hopefully we are aiming higher.

Everton has absolutely nothing to do with it. Named players imo are plenty good enough unless you’re suggesting Pochettino likes the type of player Dyche would buy?

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Foyth surely makes most sense now? Can play CB and RB.

Yeah if we were looking at him he makes a lot of sense now. All depends on Mings injury if it's a standard ACL or a bad bad multiple ligament injury. 

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It is… especially now with Mings out. Diego could make up for it… hopefully he keeps progressing from here and becomes really important for us…

A Pau and Diego partnership does excite me… I have to admit… kind of a consolation if we can get the to adapt and gel fairly quickly…

Still feels like we need someone to exert dominance in midfield… show fight when the going gets tough. McGinn does his best…

When Buendia stands out as one of your most physical players then maybe there’s a bigger issue. Not many teams have a Casemiro, rodri or rice, kamara would be the closest we have to them but I think we have a lack of intensity and pressing which might cost us and probably expose us in the middle 

14 minutes ago, striker said:

Everton has absolutely nothing to do with it. Named players imo are plenty good enough unless you’re suggesting Pochettino likes the type of player Dyche would buy?

Everton have everything to do with it, they are the type of players they buy.  Given your Everton allegiance (“Title” on Avatar says Everton) you would or should agree these are the types they would be normally interested in ie names but meh players, which have gotten Everton to where they are the last few seasons.  

As for Poch, as it was shown, Adams was a back up option which they backed out of but they did it because their DM (in fact midfield) was really weak and he needed somebody urgently and so far other deals for that position weren’t eventuating but as soon as one did they dumped Adams like a wet towel.  Plus I’m not sure using Chelsea as the argument for credible transfers is good for your argument given their recent extensive buying and selling equivalent to a small country’s population size.