Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tyler Adams talk again… is he really worth the £25m release clause?

Is he good technically and passes the ball well?

Even Leeds fans who love him say he can’t pass for shit. Sounds like a slightly better version of Marv tbh. 

Just now, wishywashy said:

I think the Tyler Adams link has been complicated by his hamstring injury. He's been out for 5 months. You have to be some concern/caution due to an injury like that, especially if your game revolves around being an engine/workhorse.

As well as that, I’m discouraged by what I’ve read from some US posters here… he may have aggression/tenacity (good presser) but, according to a few of them, he is poor at passing (so wouldn’t really be an “Unai player”) and not the most technically gifted of players…

Seem to be mixed views of him though, some fans think he’d be a great signing.

If he were brought in as a DM… I dunno how much of an improvement on Dendoncker he would be… I’d prefer a better version of Leander - someone who is both physically and aerially dominant but excellent on the ball and passes it well, some agility too..

We may still lack a bit of strength and “presence” in the side other than at CB…

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Even Leeds fans who love him say he can’t pass for shit. Sounds like a slightly better version of Marv tbh. 

That’s put me off even more…

Can’t imagine he’s a target at all then…

But…if… you know what I’m gonna say 😆

Unai knows all…

27 minutes ago, Awol said:

whoscored has Adams with 82.4% pass completion for Leeds last season and 90.2% for USA at the World Cup, so certainly not bad statistically. From his fbref stats it looks like his short and medium range passing is fine but it's when he attempts long range passes the completion drops significantly.

15 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Think you’ve got that wrong, Brighton don’t have to sell any of their best players, they sign them with the mutual agreement that they will sell the player if the player wants to leave but only at what is a fair valuation in Brightons eyes, see Caicedo. 

Don’t get me wrong our transfer business has been good for 1 season, before that we lost Grealish and bought in Bailey, Ings and was it Buendia…? 

But Brightons transfer dealings has been impeccable, Watch out for a player called Adringa in their squad this season, touted as the next £100 million Brighton player. 

Oh no Danny ings a player who got 19 goal contributions in 30 games worth of minutes for us. And then we moved on for not a financial fair play loss.

Bailey and Buendia haven't worked out perfectly yet. But there is no reason to believe they can't also be moderate successes here. Bailey could still be great if he can stay fit. 

Hell Buendia who I believe less in could easily be a 15 G+A guy in all comps this season, he probably should have had 11 this season if we finished the chances he created (his Goals + xA over his time here should be 19 in 48 games in the prem, that's about 13 Goal Contributions over 38 games). 

You claim we've not been well run in the transfer department. But since nswe came in - we've spent about 425 million pounds (excluding this window as we haven't seen the results of the players). Sounds like a lot sure.

But we've got McGinn, Identified Mings + then signed him, Luiz, Martinez, Watkins, Kamara and Konsa for that. Plus a number of completely serviceable prem players who are good enough for us. But those players I specifically mentioned if we sold them all we'd be looking at 450 million I reckon. 

I mean take wingers (Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, Trezegeut) for example our weakest bit of business overall for this period. 82 Goal contributions in the prem from 212 games worth of minutes. I think maybe the bigger question is essentially we have averaged about 18 million quid, on players who have played about 35 games on average for us. But their overall production has been at minimum solid if not amazing. You'd expect 11 or 12 GCs from each of that group over 28-30 games worth of minutes which is about the average for a starting winger. That's pretty good. 

• Like 2

Adams is much more mobile and much more proactive than Dendoncker, more akin to Boubs in that regard, which might be a consideration. His passing is fine, it's safe DM passing as a rule, but better than practically anyone else in that Leeds side (and who knows what Emery would do with him) and he's very, very good at winning it back when lost. Another consideration is that Dendoncker may well be pushing to leave. He would start for a lot of decent sides and is well into his prime years, so not improbable he wants a move. Do we know if he's with the squad in Spain yet?

7 hours ago, villan95 said:

whoscored has Adams with 82.4% pass completion for Leeds last season and 90.2% for USA at the World Cup, so certainly not bad statistically. From his fbref stats it looks like his short and medium range passing is fine but it's when he attempts long range passes the completion drops significantly.

Mainly because he was passing to bad players. It's hard to extract the quality of teammates from passing accuracy. 

12 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Anyone think we might be done?  All gone very quiet...

Possibly but I think it’s more likely we have one or two targets that are playing waiting games re other clubs. I’d be surprised if we didn’t get another forward and full back but hopefully we should be ok. 

3 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I rate Dendocker better then Adams alot better.

Mad how fans can be so far off what coaches and analysis think

The fact Adams ranks so highly in both true tackles and true interceptions tells us he is a very tenacious, aggressive ball-winner who will always look to make the tackle if he can.

He also ranks highly in tackle and aerial duel success rate, making a reasonable argument that he was one of the best ball-winning midfielders in the Premier League last season.

Why ambitious Premier League clubs want USMNT midfielder Tyler Adams - The Athletic

I do hope we can get him in as the press is key for us this season with the high line. Kamara drop off to Dendonker is big enough that having Adams can be a big improvement for us. It feels like he will go to Chelsea though having read the Athletic article. I think this will be end of window move for multiple reasons, 1) he can wait on Chelsea or other tops teams, 2) he's injured so late in window he'll be nearly back to full fitness for a medical. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Apparently Liverpool are trying to tap up Philogene Bidace according to the anfield observer.

The old classic, news reports about my client while we're negotiating a new contract. 

We’re close to agreeing a deal for Aaron Ramsey to join Burnley according to Alan Nixon. I don’t pay for his patron, so not sure if it’s a permanent or a loan. I really hope it’s a loan. 

So it’s a £12m permanent with a buy back apparently. 

Edited by thejoker

1 minute ago, thejoker said:

We’re close to agreeing a deal for Aaron Ramsey to join Burnley according to Alan Nixon. I don’t pay for his patron, so not sure if it’s a permanent or a loan. I really hope it’s a loan. 

So it’s a £12m permanent with a buy back apparently. 

Not a single piece of information on this story has come anywhere except if you pay him money he'll tell you in a private chat. 🤣

I have seen enough from people with better footballing knowledge than us really rate Adams, like really rate him, so you have to reassured that if Emery etc are targeting he fulfills a role they need better than what we’ve got? We would probably have said the same about Moreno before he arrived?

Re passing, in our system he only needs to make short passes to team mates within our system, we don’t need defence splitting through balls. His role would be specific: break up play, let Tielemans/Luiz/McGinn/Pau be the creatives.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I have seen enough from people with better footballing knowledge than us really rate Adams, like really rate him, so you have to reassured that if Emery etc are targeting he fulfills a role they need better than what we’ve got? We would probably have said the same about Moreno before he arrived?

Re passing, in our system he only needs to make short passes to team mates within our system, we don’t need defence splitting through balls. His role would be specific: break up play, let Tielemans/Luiz/McGinn/Pau be the creatives.

That’s really nice of you to say mate ;)

• Haha 1