Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Exactly right. This is the new normal. As ever in life, adapt or die.

As fans we are actually behind the curve, so the Saudi shenanigans seem new to us, but the club will/should have been aware of what was coming for some time.

If we're weren't/aren't ready, then there could be some hard lessons to learn, with our hopes and dreams recalibrated accordingly. Let's see.

I think this latest Saudi stuff has come as, as big a shock to football clubs (Manchester City, Newcastle and it seems Chelsea excepted), as it has to football fans. They started off with signing old Ronaldo and then thought, why stop there and why not have our own PL, as well as the teams we already have in it?

It's a bit like LIV Golf, they see something they like and have it, at whatever the cost (financially and to that sport). As Monty Python said (albeit about something completely different);)

YARN | Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! | Monty Python's Flying  Circus (1969) - S02E02 | Video clips by quotes | d8860826 | 紗

Edited by John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Easy to say that from our perspective but we’re not the ones who have to choose between potentially forgoing tens of millions of pounds / euros to sign one way or the other

I hope he does choose us, better league, better international chances and at his age he’d still have the option of signing a mega contract in a Micky mouse league later on in his career if it still exists and he stays fit, but it would be more difficult to guarantee he could return to a top tier league later if he wastes 4 or 5 years in Saudi first - I hope that’s what his advisers are telling him anyway

Entirely agree.

Is Max Aarons worth a look for RB competition? Was highly rated a couple of years ago and still young. Just seen he only has a year left on his deal at Norwich and finally expected to leave this summer

• Like 3

Click about link to Thiago Almada €20 mill 

https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-now-eyeing-amazing-17-5m-world-cup-winner-who-scored-eight-goals-last-season/

Aston Villa are interested in signing Thiago Almada as Monchi works on bringing a new attacking midfielder into Unai Emery’s squad in this window.

That is according to a report from Tuttomercatoweb, which claims that Atlanta United want around £17.4 million for the 22-year-old.

7 hours ago, sne said:

Bournemouth getting  Ivan Fresneda?! Step in Villa ffs and get him here instead.

would be an outstanding signing for them... Exactly the type of signing I'd want to see us make (and yes I've wanted us to get Fresneda before). C'mon Unai & Monchi!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Is Max Aarons worth a look for RB competition? Was highly rated a couple of years ago and still young. Just seen he only has a year left on his deal at Norwich and finally expected to leave this summer

He's just not very good imo, massively overhyped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

He's just not very good imo, massively overhyped.

This, looked nothing more than ok at a young age and hasn’t kicked on. Looked dodgy when I ever watched Norwich last season in the championship and isn’t particularly good going forward either.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With the way people are being fleeced in Europe for players, pickups like this might be smart.

without getting too off topic, it's why NSWE getting an MLS franchise in the next few years would be huge. It is being used as a stepping stone for talented South American youngsters to go abroad and show out. Getting the ability to get first dibs on some of that market would be huge. I think several were a bit surprised that Almada went to MLS because he was seen as the next big thing. I think we could use the Emi(s) pull to convince him and it would be a great decision to get him

• Like 1