Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

54 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Good F'n Riddance.  I sub to the Athletic for the NBA coverage because the beat writer for my Pistons, James Edwards III, is so good I want to pay him for his work.  He travels with the team to all away games, has exclusive interviews/pieces on the team that you wouldn't find from other journalists, is a tier 1 source for all trade rumors and often breaks news before or alongside Shams/Woj, and is trusted by the team, so he is able to have a lot of off the record conversations/sources on what is actually happening behind closed doors.  Seeing how dedicated he is to his job and the quality of his work compared to what Gregg Evans phones in every month is embarrassing for Evans.  I've never seen a sports beat writer like Evans who has no insider sources, rarely breaks news, and only puts out a handful of articles every year which require multiple interviews and research.  

Same for me and the Nets. 

(I'll now be following the Pistons for content on Athletic too though!)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Are there no Villa supporting journalists who could do it?

Maybe one for another thread.... Would you want them to be? Or do they need to be?

I'd rather they were just a good writer

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

On 15/07/2023 at 22:33, thabucks said:

IMG_7986.jpeg

Don’t think your math stacks up … 

I meant it as in these are the players we currently have under contract that I would like to see make our 25 man squad come September 

Leverkusen want €65m for Diaby approx £53m they can f**k right off 😂 i want us to stop where we are right now with the £42.5m offer … he didn't have a great season so what justifies paying more than this. Might sound crazy but if its gonna be more than that we may aswell be better off getting brennan johnson for 40 mill. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I wouldn't.

It's a strong argument I'll give you that. He wouldn't be high up on my lists but I don't currently think Gnonto is £10m better than him for example. Gnonto is younger thou.

34 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Leverkusen want €65m for Diaby approx £53m they can f**k right off 😂 i want us to stop where we are right now with the £42.5m offer … he didn't have a great season so what justifies paying more than this. Might sound crazy but if its gonna be more than that we may aswell be better off getting brennan johnson for 40 mill. 

Played 48 last year, scored 14 and setup 11.

Better than 1 goal or assist every 2nd game.

id pay 53 mil for diaby tbh, that is the calibre of player we are going to need to get to where we need to be. He would be brilliant in our system and has the ability to play up top as a central striker too, i reckon he would be devastating in a front 2 with ollie if we wanted to go 2 up top, emery does like that on occasion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

id pay 53 mil for diaby tbh, that is the calibre of player we are going to need to get to where we need to be. He would be brilliant in our system and has the ability to play up top as a central striker too, i reckon he would be devastating in a front 2 with ollie if we wanted to go 2 up top, emery does like that on occasion

Just listened to the German league journalist on Talksport and he was raving about Diaby and said he would fit perfectly for us and said he’s not a typical winger that keeps his head down but keeps his head up and sees what is around him.

• Like 1

The way I see it if Newcastle signed Diaby (even at 50m) we'd all be moaning that we missed a trick. The Pau Torres coup is not the norm; if we go full Levy and try to nickle and dime every transfer we're not gonna have much success. 

Edited by Caddy
  • Like 4

Just now, Caddy said:

The way I see it if Newcastle signed Diaby we'd all be moaning that we missed a trick. The Pau Torres coup is not the norm; if we go full Levy and try to nickle and dime every transfer we're not gonna have much success. 

True, and Tielemans and Pau were both on the cheaper side, so to get Pau, Youri and Diaby for a combined £80m … that isn’t too bad.

• Like 2

If you rate Diaby and think he's a good option for us, then you shouldn't object to us paying 50m.

That is easily the going rate for a decent winger these days. There's no reason not to pay it,  although every reason to try and get it lowered.

If we're stuck at our FFP limits then I'd say we make a sacrifice elsewhere on the pitch as no other signing we make now will have a bigger impact on our form. The right back, back up gk, "other forward" are all nice to haves. They won't elevate us to another level. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Caddy said:

The way I see it if Newcastle signed Diaby (even at 50m) we'd all be moaning that we missed a trick. The Pau Torres coup is not the norm; if we go full Levy and try to nickle and dime every transfer we're not gonna have much success. 

at 50m he'd be 5m more than anthony gordon and 40m less than sancho / anthony, even chuck barnes in there if newcastle got him for 35-40m

i know which one id prefer

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

If you rate Diaby and think he's a good option for us, then you shouldn't object to us paying 50m.

That is easily the going rate for a decent winger these days. There's no reason not to pay it,  although every reason to try and get it lowered.

If we're stuck at our FFP limits then I'd say we make a sacrifice elsewhere on the pitch as no other signing we make now will have a bigger impact on our form. The right back, back up gk, "other forward" are all nice to haves. They won't elevate us to another level. 

You’re right. Every word Mr Black.

• Thanks 1

I think because we are all used to villa securing unreal value recently - Kamara on a free, Pau Torres for 35 mil, Tielemans on a free, that this sounds expensive. But its a brilliant signing, the fact we basically have a top class midfield for pennies/homegrown talent means we can and should invest in other areas of the pitch to make sure they are as strong.

• Like 1

To have even a fighting chance at the top table we need to buy these type of players at these type of fees. If Emery and Monchi are willing to go and obliterate our transfer record by 40 percent then there is a good reason. They see the Ability and skill to take us up a notch. As someone else said above Torres Tielemans and Diaby for £80 mill ish is potentially fantastic work . 

Emery is in a hurry, our owners are in a hurry and we are just going to have to keep up and trust them .

Slight improvements every year are no good because all our competitors will do the same .

They are squeezing every penny out of our fan base now with increased ticket prices and from what i can see they are doing that to put every extra penny onto the pitch . Which bodes well . 

• Like 2