Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

20 minutes ago, allani said:

It is pretty likely that Kane will not be at Spurs next season.  I can see Levy not selling him to a PL team but it will be much harder to stop him going overseas.  The fact that Kane appears to have said that he won't sign a new deal with Spurs will mean that it will be much more difficult to turn down good offers this summer.  Take Kane out of Spurs and they really aren't a very good attacking team.  Even with Kane we've a pretty good record against them defensively - especially if you remove their main attacking tactic against us which is for Kane to run into the box, kick the ball away and then throw himself into a defender to win a penalty.

I'd take Ramsey over any of the other players you mentioned.  Tielemans is a better fit for us than Maddison.  We definitely need to upgrade on Buendia and Bailey - but Richarlison is (in my opinion) massively over-rated.  Both Buendia and Bailey had better stats in terms of goal contributions than him last season (1 goal, 4 assists).  That's not to say that we don't need two new attacking (starting) players and maybe an investment player.  Like I say take Kane out of that Spurs team and they're really nothing special.  Obviously if Kane does go then you'd expect them to spend big on a replacement - but trying to replace Kane will be much tougher (in terms of the limited options available AND the ability to re-structure the way they play) than it will be for us to improve our attack.  I would be disappointed to finish behind Spurs next season (and I know that 6 months ago that would have sounded completely ridiculous!!!).

I think defensively we look better than spurs and our central midfield beats theirs, but their attack definitely beats ours as proven by how many goals they scored last season compared to us and maddison will definitely score goals for them. I'd say if Kane stays there is at least 50 goals between him, Son and Maddison alone whereas we'll get not much more than half that from our four players and most of those will be Ramsey and Watkins. I'm sure we will sign a couple here but they need to be a clear step up from what we have which I'm not sure Johnson and Barnes are.

If kane goes it's a different story but I imagine they'll just keep him for a season then let him leave on a free, although if a European team offers £100m+ you'd think even Levy would accept that for a 30 year old with one year left on his contract.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I would be happy with strikers Archer, Watkins and if we signed Rodrigo from Leeds scored 13 last year finds the net and with better players around him will thrive.

Rodrigo is a knob

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Rodrigo is a knob

if we excluded all footballers as signings who were a knob........we would prob struggle to fill our squad.......

Just now, MaVilla said:

if we excluded all footballers as signings who were a knob........we would prob struggle to fill our squad.......

Heavens to Betsy!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

No recollection of Konsa starting a game at RB for Villa mate. Think bringing in a new RB is pretty much certain this summer otherwise we’d have kept Young for another season.

I think he played some games in the project restart period if I recall correctly, but might be getting muddled up with Hause who played at left back for us a few times

I’m not hugely convinced on Konsa being our main RB next season but then I understand people are saying that’s what Emery did at Villareal. A right back and right winger would be my priority positions to strengthen now in this window 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mickjacobjr said:

At the min with are one injury away from a disaster if Watkins gets hurt we have no one to play up top with any real quailty 

Cameron archer is pretty cheap.. done wonders in the championship and his goal to minute ratio for the England  under 21s is awesome. 

I think he’s the perfect back up striker. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Cameron archer is pretty cheap.. done wonders in the championship and his goal to minute ratio for the England  under 21s is awesome. 

I think he’s the perfect back up striker. 

Big difference coming in for a game or two than playing 10/15 game’s in a row he isn’t good enough for that at the min if we want to be in the top end of the premier league 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think defensively we look better than spurs and our central midfield beats theirs, but their attack definitely beats ours as proven by how many goals they scored last season compared to us and maddison will definitely score goals for them. I'd say if Kane stays there is at least 50 goals between him, Son and Maddison alone whereas we'll get not much more than half that from our four players and most of those will be Ramsey and Watkins. I'm sure we will sign a couple here but they need to be a clear step up from what we have which I'm not sure Johnson and Barnes are.

If kane goes it's a different story but I imagine they'll just keep him for a season then let him leave on a free, although if a European team offers £100m+ you'd think even Levy would accept that for a 30 year old with one year left on his contract.

Spurs scored 19 more goals than us last season.  Harry Kane scored 15 more than Ollie.  The rest of their attack really isn't much/any better than ours.

I am sure that Levy will be desperate to keep hold of Kane - he's worth at least 20 goals to them over anyone else that they could get in to replace him.  Take those 20 goals out of Spurs and they are going to struggle.  However, it is becoming increasingly hard for them to convince Kane that he might win silverware at Spurs.  They don't have Europe next season.  Their fans seemed to think that they could finish Top 4 last season but I guess that now even most of their fans would bite your hand off for 6th.  6th is not going to be enough for someone who could claim to be one of England's best ever strikers.  Get off to a bad start and why would he put his body on the line and risk a serious injury that scuppers his dream move to one of the best teams in the world just to finish 6th or 7th.  There's only so long that you can have him in the squad before it starts impacting on morale - not because I think he'd be stirring up trouble but because everything about Spurs is about Harry Kane.  So if players know that he's off at the end of the season it will be unsettling for them all.

A lot can still happen between now and the start of the season / end of the transfer window BUT at this point in time the likelihood (I would almost say certainty) is that our attack will improve and Spurs will get worse.  I'd much rather be in our position than theirs.  (You only have to look at us with Jack and Spurs previously with Bale to realise how difficult it is to replace a key player - regardless of how much money you have). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mickjacobjr said:

Big difference coming in for a game or two than playing 10/15 game’s in a row he isn’t good enough for that at the min if we want to be in the top end of the premier league 

He’s proved himself at championship level, next step is giving him a go at premier league level 

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

But he also dismissed the Torres link and it was clear Torres was a clear upgrade on what we have, certainly in terms of how we want to play. I sort of agreed that the idea of ousting Mings after he'd had a very good season last year seemed harsh, but that's how you improve and I also think they will play together initially. I also think he dismissed the Tielemans link at first too.

I think some of the links that come out are untrue, but I actually think a lot of them aren't. It's well known we're keeping an eye on Johnson and Barnes (underwhelming for me, but I think we quite like them), I think the Tyler Adams links are accurate (again, I'm not particularly impressed but I think the links are valid), and I also think we're trying for Ferran Torres, possibly Lo Celso, Goncalves, Nico Williams, Chiesa and wanted Vlahovic. There was too much smoke coming out about several of those to there be nothing in it. I'm obviously a lot more excited about those players from Spain,Italy and Portugal than the domestic players we're targeting because of the calibre of those players and hope we end up with them rather than Barnes/Johnson/Adams. The lack of links to right backs worry me but I think we're prioritising attack first before signing one later on, or at least I hope because we need one.

Personally I think we need two high calibre attacking players, especially with Ramsey's injury possibly meaning he misses start of season and Coutinho and Traore likely on their way out. Compare our attacking options to Tottenham, for example, and theirs looks much better: Kane, Son, Kulusevski  Maddison, Richarlison vs Watkins, Ramsey (injured), Buendia, Bailey. If we get those two attacking players + a right back and Torres and Tielemans we've had a strong window.

Yeah i agree 98% of those links had legs Goncalves and Williams id bite your right arm for as they are much more of an upgrade in players to what we have in those positions, just add a back up GK to that list and yes we would have had a strong window, something tells me D.Carlos doesnt stay i have a weird feeling. 

• Like 1

Listening to Villa podcast "...we could play Konsa at RB, he's played there before."

Noobs!

P.S. listening further said assuming no RB signing,  Emery doesn't seem to rate Cash and he's been known to play CBs at FB so thinks Konsa could be RB 1st game vs Newcastle. Lol that would be funny

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s proved himself at championship level, next step is giving him a go at premier league level 

There is a difference between giving him a go at PL level and having him as our main "backup" option.  IF we sign two more excellent attacking players then Archer definitely becomes an option.  But if Archer is one of the two attacking additions of the summer then I think we're taking a huge risk / gamble.  The problem is that if he goes 3 or 4 matches without scoring all the confidence he has built up over the last 10 months could vanish, if we start losing games then the crowd could quickly get on his back if he misses a half-decent chance.  In many ways I would love for us to give Archer a chance next season - but to be able to do that we need some serious reinforcements into our front line - so that we can give him that opportunity with the deck loaded in his favour rather than against him.  Obviously any new signing is a gamble - but we are still being linked with players that have performed well in higher leagues, in European competitions and at senior international level.  Let's get that business sorted first and then give Archer (and some of our other young players coming through) the best possible chance of taking his opportunity by playing him / them with the strongest support possible.

• Like 1