Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I understand xA. You're being disingenuous by asserting so.

I never said a pass that doesn't find it's target counts towards xA. I said a player can create a chance  with a lower probability of being finished off and it will count to xA.

I also said that Buendia creates a lot of chances with less passes because he always goes for the throughball. A far higher percentage of his passes with be throughballs compared to JJ for example who often plays the simple pass, however  JJ had more assists. Yes JJ played more passes, but a far lower percentage of his passes will be throughball attempts.

My point from the beginning is simply Buendia's poor assists to xA is not down to simply poor finishing and nothing you or anyone else has said has come close to proving that.

Last season Trossard got 12 assists with an xA of 10.25, most of those were for Brighton. Not top striker there. Mo Salah narrowly exceeded his xA with 12 assists also and he had Nunez missing everything. Saka and Maddison very narrowly missed out on their xA by less than .05. That's the top five assisters (with De-Bruyne) all either exceeding xA or matching it. One of them did it at a relegated club. 

Jj, Bailey, and Watkins all were very close to their xA (within 0.2 for Jj and Bailey), and Watkins actually bettered his xA. 

Buendia's xA is 4.12 compared to Bailey's 4.09, but Bailey got 4 prem assists, and Buendia got 2.

So the reality is Buendia's xA is low, and his actual assists is even lower. His assists is less than half his xA. This is the supposed great creator. The guy Paul514 called our best forward! Lol! 

Buendia's supposed brilliance at chance creation is clearly a myth!

The at Norwich stuff is crap, he had one season as prem player there, and took all the set pieces.

My Brain hurts.

9 minutes ago, KH** said:

Some club really needs to take a look at Gift Orban from Gent 

Certainly does the numbers, I'll grant you that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Unsure how useful this is with Twitter being broke..

Really can’t see us signing another CB… why would we? Makes no sense. Far too many nonsensical “links” out there.

If I was going to make up a link to a Serie A player… we need reinforcements in attack… how about someone like Nico Gonzalez? Any good?

Kind of sad to see the state of Serie A nowadays, relatively weak and a lack of quality (beyond the “top” teams). Far cry from the dominant days of the 90s, superstar players and formidable teams…

Not many players like that around nowadays either… I would bloody love a young Batistuta at Villa!! 🤣 Unique. Del Piero, Totti, Pirlo, Vieri, Baggio, the real Ronaldo, Zidane…. glorious days…

Not too many players I would want from there now and the good ones are far too expensive and difficult for us to attract.

Can we get Chiesa though? 😆

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Really can’t see us signing another CB… why would we? Makes no sense. Far too many nonsensical “links” out there.

If I was going to make up a link to a Serie A player… we need reinforcements in attack… how about someone like Nico Gonzalez? Any good?

Carlos would have to be leaving for this to happen, can't see it either 

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Only reason I can see us wanting him is if Konsa is being moved to RB/if Ibanez can play RB maybe? not familiar with Ibanez at all so unsure.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Kind of sad to see the state of Serie A nowadays, relatively weak and a lack of quality (beyond the “top” teams). Far cry from the dominant days of the 90s, superstar players and formidable teams…

Not many players like that around nowadays either… I would bloody love a young Batistuta at Villa!! 🤣 Unique. Del Piero, Totti, Pirlo, Vieri, Baggio, the real Ronaldo, Zidane…. glorious days…

Not too many players I would want from there now and the good ones are far too expensive and difficult for us to attract.

& yet all 3 European competitions last  season, there was a Italian team in each final, won nowt though 🤣 but yep get where your coming from some wonderful players back then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Juve have just signed Timothy Weah , Possibly a replacement?  Wishful thinking 

1 minute ago, Frodo said:

& yet all 3 European competitions last  season, there was a Italian team in each final, won nowt though 🤣 but yep get where your coming from some wonderful players back then.

Oh, I’m glad to see it but… you know what I mean. I was brought up on Italian football so I always want them to succeed!

Sadly, the most successful league will always be the richest one. Players will go where the money is. That’s what Serie A was at one point…

If the current trend continues, it won’t be long before the Saudis completely take over.

It’s horrid and corrupt really, and Italian teams are certainly not innocent 🤣 Juve 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, bring back this masterpiece 😆

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You mean the Serie A who had three teams in European finals last season (OK they lost all of them)?  There are plenty of very good players at "unheard" of teams - obviously not the same as the 80s / 90s - but there are some quality players around.  Part of the problem is that the British media dismiss a large chunk of Italian teams because they've never heard of them.  I listened to some of the English commentators / pundits talk about Italian players during Euro 20 (in 2021) and it was pretty embarrassing how little they knew about either the players or the teams they played for.

Edited by allani

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Juve have just signed Timothy Weah , Possibly a replacement?  Wishful thinking 

Nowhere near in the same class is he?

But I like your thinking 🤣

Problem is, I think Chiesa would have most top clubs after him but… you never know 🤣

I would be elated if we signed him.

Just now, allani said:

You mean the Serie A who had three teams in European finals last season (OK they lost all of them)?  There are plenty of very good players at "unheard" of teams - obviously not the same as the 80s / 90s - but the quality.  Part of the problem is that the British media dismiss a large chunk of Italian teams because they've never heard of them.  I listened to some of the English commentators / pundits talk about Italian players during Euro 20 (in 2021) and it was pretty embarrassing how little they knew about either the players or the teams they played for.

I’m not being down on the league or the teams… I’ve always been a fan… but the drop off has been drastic… overall, it’s just not a very strong league and there are not that many top class players there…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Carlos would have to be leaving for this to happen, can't see it either 

Or Konsa 👀

Truth be told, brilliant old fashioned defender.

However, with the arrival of Pau, will probably the weakest in the areas of progressive passing and pace.

Thing is, remember what Monchi does , is sell players at peak value and get replacements in.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, allani said:

Part of the problem is that the British media dismiss a large chunk of Italian teams because they've never heard of them.  I listened to some of the English commentators / pundits talk about Italian players during Euro 20 (in 2021) and it was pretty embarrassing how little they knew about either the players or the teams they played for.

Oh that’s a given and has always been the case. Major arrogance. But nothing new.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Oh that’s a given and has always been the case. Major arrogance. But nothing new.

Or just completely **** inept....

They barely know anything about the majority of non top 6 English players either

• Like 3

We have only so much money to spend, I honestly can’t see us devoting more funds to the CB department which is now sorted and one of the best groups in the league.

Full backs will need looking at, midfield is largely sorted, attack is where the bulk of our spending will be I should think.

Just trying to apply common sense but I will endorse whatever Unai wants to do .

• Like 1