Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

22 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

No im talking about English.  Imo from a non-English person, villa fans seem to have alot more patience for English players bar non English.  McGinn for eg.  And I totally get that.  I don’t like Barnes based on money it will take.  Lot better out there for money 

Don’t think this is true at all. You think our fans have shown additional patience with Mings, Konsa etc when they have struggled vs McGinn? I don’t see that at all. 

Why did we ever have so much patience with this prat?

spacer.png

🤣

Other than in his younger days (under MON) he was largely such a poor and limited player, so limited on a technical level.

Many better players came and left while he hung around for far too long…

Many written off (some almost instantly) and derided but went on to bigger and better things, superior careers and contributions in comparison to Gabby…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Don’t think this is true at all. You think our fans have shown additional patience with Mings, Konsa etc when they have struggled vs McGinn? I don’t see that at all. 

I honestly do.  Obviously I may be wrong but that’s way i see it.  They just seem to get a bit more slack.  

14 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I honestly do.  Obviously I may be wrong but that’s way i see it.  They just seem to get a bit more slack.  

Fair enough. I disagree but maybe you’re right. Your original point though was that fans would want to sign Barnes because he’s English… and literally the ONLY thing I’ve ever heard anyone say about signing English players is “he will cost more because he’s English, there is better value abroad.” I’ve NEVER heard anyone say “sign that lad, it’s a bonus that he’s English” - always the opposite. In fact I dare say if Barnes was posting his PL stats in La Liga he’d have far more champions on here.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Mings is probably our most criticised player. He could lose the ball 5 minutes before the pposition scores and still gets blamed

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

These people, journalists or even “experts” on these podcasts… it’s mainly just their opinions.

None of them have the skill, nous, experience and expertise of anyone employed at a high level at our club.

If every scout was as intelligent as you seem to think they are, there'd never be a bad signing. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

If every scout was as intelligent as you seem to think they are, there'd never be a bad signing. 😁

😆 wasn’t really on about the scouts, they don’t actually sign or decide on players, just research and recommend. Final say is Unai’s and he’s much more intelligent than us rabble 😆

There are no guarantees, it’s just about giving yourself the best chance and having the right setup. Minimise risk and failure.

I just have a massive amount of faith and trust in Unai and he will be aided by Monchi with whom he has an existing/previous relationship and understanding backed up by major success.

Basically, we’ve never been as well set up and PREPARED (🤦‍♂️) as we are now, since I’ve been following us anyway.

5 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Must be one of the only Premier League clubs to be genuinely embarrassed by our PL top scorer. Why does it have to be the guy who has done nothing but embarrass Villa since 2010? Here's hoping that Watkins, or a new striker signing (Jonathan David? Go on then), can end up with that accolade over the coming years

Yep, and he never fails to remind us of that😆

It’s only cause he stuck around so long and we failed to get rid of or replace him. A damning indictment on how poor our teams and players have been really… after MON, the “Gabby era” was fairly appalling for us as a club…

Usually, my main point on him is how limited and how poor he was in a technical sense. He was never a highly talented or skilful player. It’s why I’m wary of us pursuing or raving about players with pace. You need a lot more to your game and… it doesn’t last… technical proficiency over pace for me, all day long. Even better when you have both! Those players are few and far between though…

Conversely, it’s nice to have someone out there in the media that does defend and support us. He’s hard to completely dislike at times and clearly loves the Villa. He had his moments but no doubt he let himself and us fans down… there were some mitigating circumstances too though, mainly the amount of absolute piss poor managers we appointed and a heap of shite signings… it’s hard to excel in those cases or that environment. I guess, he never had a manager after MON that could get the best out of him let alone the whole team… so, there’s a debate to be had for sure…

Anyway, hopefully Watkins will achieve it in the not too distant future… much more fitting and admirable in that sense. He’s a top lad and Unai will bring his game on even more.

It’d take too long for anyone else to and I’m not sure I have that patience 😆

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just listened to a Villa pod with a British bloke who seems to either be based in Spain, or just knows a lot about it.

Says he's watched Bilbao the whole season and Nico Williams is an extremely frustrating player.

Either glorious or terrible, and notes that at the money quoted he thinks we should stay clear. Doesn't reckon we would have the patience for him.

Also mentioned what I've seen some mention about Pau Torres. Brilliant " ball playing " CB, but not really the physically engaging type or combative in the air. Not as good as Ming's etc 

Now don't get me wrong, if we are actually interested in these players, you reckon Emery has a plan for them. One which would compliment our current contingent, as opposed to " replace ".

However, those multiple opinions do make me apprehensive.

Hmmm, sounds like we missed a trick not appointing this “British bloke” into our scouting team or head of recruitment.

In all seriousness, yes I reckon anyone we buy Emery will have a plan for them, it would be a dereliction of duty to not have a plan. At CB we need to be think less about stoppers and more about general contribution to the teams play? Could Torres not play alongside Mings or Carlos rather than instead of, or rotated with?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Could Torres not play alongside Mings or Carlos rather than instead of, or rotated with?

Already posted CB one of least rotated positions. Managers like consistency at CB. They also like left foot right foot for out ball not 2 left footers 

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

What do people think of this gift orban guy that is all over the internet?

anyone seen him play?

I've never been one for youtube highlights and our recent record of signings from the Belgian league (apart from Benteke) hasn't been great, but I really like what I've seen of this kid.....really quick feet and speed of thought, not afraid to have a dig from distance, comfortable using his weaker left foot.....I think he'll be a big player, probably not with us, but I've seen worse gambles for €20m (the fee I've seen bandied about)...

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Already posted CB one of least rotated positions. Managers like consistency at CB. They also like left foot right foot for out ball not 2 left footers 

I’m longing for the day we have 4 left footers in the back line. Just to see how many fans and pundits spontaneously combust 😂!

• Haha 1