Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Nakamba would be fine if he was press resistant

None of our players, other than Kamara, were press resistant before Emery worked with them. Remember how much McGinn struggled when under pressure under Dean Smith and Gerrard? He either got tackled or passed it straight to the opposition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

None of our players, other than Kamara, were press resistant before Emery worked with them. Remember how much McGinn struggled when under pressure under Dean Smith and Gerrard? He either got tackled or passed it straight to the opposition.

Agreed. It’s not just beating the press. Our players are actively drawing men to them whilst on the ball meaning once they release it, other players have more space. It was something Grealish was a master at - probably the best in the league in fact.

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

Really like the idea of Nico Williams but I think it's because he is so young & has bags of potential, the reason I say but is because we were in this position when we signed Leon Bailey, youtube vids, alot of hype also, this is my thing tho, Bailey gets alot of stick on here & I do see where people are coming from at times he can be frustrating but his numbers this season aren't great but also not bad 33 games 4 goals 4 assists, Nico Williams numbers are 36 games 6 goals 4 assists so very similar & you can throw in his youtube video & all the hype. Thing is this transfer could cost us in the region of £50 million. How will the Villa faithful take to him after 10 games & he hasn't contributed, if we go based on Bailey's time here, their going to have a melt down. For what it's worth I think will see a good Bailey next season & hopefully a flying Nico Williams if he signs 👌

Bailey isn’t a right winger, I’ve seen him on the left with Villa and he’s been great. The issue is our system doesn’t depend on that. Next season I guess we’ll use different formations so he’ll still be helpful. Williams is different, he’s better while play on the right. 

• Like 1

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

Bailey isn’t a right winger, I’ve seen him on the left with Villa and he’s been great. The issue is our system doesn’t depend on that. Next season I guess we’ll use different formations so he’ll still be helpful. Williams is different, he’s better while play on the right. 

The whole bailey is playing out of position needs to stop, he has had opportunity across many positions and has been average at best

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

True enough, and perhaps he has that in mind…. Perhaps not?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was our player of the month in November, and has had a couple of Man of the Match performances.

This suggests he has had games where he has been better than " average at best ".

Perhaps equally, the insinuation that he is more useless than Tonev and never contributes anything to the team should stop?

Do me a favour, minus the points he has helped us secure this season, from our tally, and get back.

We only played 3 games in November. He featured 16 minutes against Brighton and 31 minutes in the cup loss to Manure. He did play 70 against them in the league thou.

Not saying he didn't deserved the award but it's a small sample size to give an award from.

Bailey has been average but also is not a right winger.

More than one thing can be true.

Baileys best highlights from us come from the left. His goal Vs United when he won that Player of the Month award. He ran to the left of the box and slotted the ball past the keeper. His goal Vs Everton where he destroyed them (and injured himself in the process), counter attck down the left.

Just because you don't like a player doesn't mean you can just tell anybody else there's no point analysing him.

Some posters would've kicked half the squad out and sold them in the first 3rd of the season

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No idea

That’s been the story linking him away from Atletico Madrid for the past 2 years wanting to get his astronomical wages off the book. It’s unlikely he comes here without the promise of guaranteed starts.

58 minutes ago, pete101 said:

The whole bailey is playing out of position needs to stop, he has had opportunity across many positions and has been average at best

I agree with the position part playing on the left or right isn’t an excuse in fact his best season prior to joining us was on the right for Leverkusen. But like I’ve said before there’s a reason why Emery persevered with him, when Bailey was out injured despite crucial contributions Traore didn’t really get a sniff and Bailey was straight back in the starting line when he recovered.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

My point was more Williams stats are very similar to Baileys this season & Bailey divides opinion on hear, so spending around £50 million on someone with similar stats may cause this site to explode if he doesn't begin well (if we sign him) I get they play different wings but still have to be seen to be scoring & providing goals  

45 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

That’s been the story linking him away from Atletico Madrid for the past 2 years wanting to get his astronomical wages off the book. It’s unlikely he comes here without the promise of guaranteed starts.

I wouldn’t have thought they are that high, maybe they are.

He will know he has to take some sort of a cut anyway.

To be fair if we want to be in the top 6 we will have to pay higher wages. I am very wary of paying out high wages and I am not espousing paying what the top 6 currently do as we don’t have their revenue but it will have to rise 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was our player of the month in November, and has had a couple of Man of the Match performances.

This suggests he has had games where he has been better than " average at best ".

Perhaps equally, the insinuation/exaggerations that he is more useless than Tonev and never contributes anything to the team should stop?

Do me a favour, minus the points he has helped us secure this season, from our tally, and get back.

JV as I don’t watch the Jamaican national team, does he always play from the right at international level? 

I’ve said this before but I honestly think his two best performances for us have been on left. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Perhaps equally, the insinuation/exaggerations that he is more useless than Tonev and never contributes anything to the team should stop?

Where have I said that? Now you are just making things up, the average at best comment is about his season at a whole