Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Hard to believe that we find 25m “too expensive” in this day and age, it’s great value for a player like Guendouzi.

Maybe it’s more a case of reserving funds for more attack minded players (usually the most costly)… managing the budget in that way, for example.

In that case, Tielemans (on a free) would be a great move and we can’t afford to be complacent about our midfield. When one of Luiz or Kamara is injured or needs resting (let alone both) we’re not the same team and we will need to rest and rotate. Players might pick up the odd suspension too, e.g. 5 yellow cards. We need to strengthen in every department imo and competition is required too.

It’s debatable whether some of our players “over performed” and could sustain that next season… we have many more games to play… we need strength in depth and game changers. We’ll be making quite the leap this coming season and need the personnel that are up to the challenge…

Glad we’ve moved on and lost interest in the likes of McKennie (zero impact at Leeds, forgot he went there). We need much better quality…

Pau Torres would be a superb signing.

60m (if accurate, I doubt it) for Goncalves does seem steep. So many goal involvements though and the lad can take a penalty… would be great for 40ish mil?

Boy do we need goal scorers, we were so poor at finishing and I expect us to create even more chances this season. Need to be ruthless and clinical.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hard to believe that we find 25m “too expensive” in this day and age, it’s great value for a player like Guendouzi. Maybe it’s more a case of reserving funds for more attack minded signings… managing the budget in that way, for example.

Glad we’ve moved on and lost interest in the likes of McKennie (zero impact at Leeds, forgot he went there). We need much better quality…

Pau Torres would be a superb signing.

60m (if accurate, I doubt it) for Goncalves does seem steep. So many goal involvements though and the lad can take a penalty… would be great for 40ish mil?

Boy do we need goal scorers, we were so poor at finishing and I expect us to create even more chances this season. Need to be ruthless and clinical.

Agree with almost all of your post, the only bit I don't agree with is our finishing is poor, maybe stats will prove me wrong, but we can't have finished 7th with poor finishing, the eye test says it's average.... although I do concede that massive improvement is still required.

I'd be keen on signing both Guendouzi and Torres and yeah we need one signing that brings goals, lots of goals and assists too preferably 😁

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Agree with almost all of your post, the only bit I don't agree with is our finishing is poor, maybe stats will prove me wrong, but we can't have finished 7th with poor finishing, the eye test says it's average.... although I do concede that massive improvement is still required.

I'd be keen on signing both Guendouzi and Torres and yeah we need one signing that brings goals, lots of goals and assists too preferably 😁

Maybe “poor” is a bit harsh but we can do much better. We threw away certain games last season simply due to profligacy in front of goal.

We would have had a lot more points if we were more clinical and less wasteful… its undoubtedly an area we can and should improve on.

If we manage to address that, we are going to scare the crap out of teams this season! 😀

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

From Greggs article in The Athletic (linked to above in a tweet)

Notes, much we know already:

- McKennie was a target in Jan but we've moved on

- Goncalves liked but we may not think he is worth the £

- Could go back for Nico Williams

- Emery likes Gio Lo Celso

- Tielemans is a real target, but as competition for current midfield 

- Guendouzi still a target but we may not want to spend £25m on him

- Pau Torres top of our CB wishlist

- We'll only sign one CB - still plan on Mings, Carlos and Konsa having important roles

- Giorgio Mamardashvili of Valenica is a target as new GK

- Tyler Adams of USMNT and Leeds is amongst a 'number' of options we're looking at

- Sanson and Nakamba won't be re-integrated into the squad, they're off

- Chambers, Traore and Olsen are likely to be pushed down the pecking order and may decide to move for more regular minutes (I.e. we want to sell them, but not sure we'll be able to)

- Jhon Duran Duran may go on a short term loan to bring him up to speed - is highly rated by us though.

So basically he's just repeated all the existing rumours? The guys an idiot

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

From Greggs article in The Athletic (linked to above in a tweet)

the noises from the club are that we have BIG plans for this window

that list hardly smacks of these ambitions 

• Like 2

I don't mind Gregg but agree he isn't usually there with inside knowledge and really most of us could have written that piece - it's just a compilation of major rumours.

Only interesting shout is Adams, who I guess would be an alternative to Tielemans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the noises from the club are that we have BIG plans for this window

that list hardly smacks of these ambitions 

Yep:

At the start of the meeting, Purslow laid out what the mentality of the club would be next season. In short, they were going to be “bold” next season. Roughly translated, the gloves were coming off in terms of the owner’s ambition and goals.

After five years, Purslow reasoned they were now at the “best of the rest” level they had sought (knocking on the door of the established Top Six). So, it was a question of what next?

Purslow confirmed that this boldness in attitude would of course extend to the summer transfer window. He said, that it hadn’t been possible to go so ambitious previously, as while they had a potentially talented squad, obviously the coaching staff hadn’t been realising their potential. It’s a safer bet now to speculate for success with a much more favourable risk-reward ratio.

Considering Villa have been already breaking the club’s transfer records in recent seasons on the likes of Ollie Watkins and Emi Buendia, and being no stranger to the purchase of £20m to £30m players, it will be interesting to see how “bold” translates in terms of incoming players in the summer window.

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/aston-villa-to-go-bold-in-the-summer-transfer-market/?amp

If what Purslow has said is correct/accurate, I would expect us to either break our transfer record or bring in multiple 30m+ signings (possibly both).

It’s the right time and we finally have the right manager to go out and do this now.

Again, the idea that Guendouzi at 25m is “too expensive” appears presposterous! Maybe we have “better” targets in mind 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jas10

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Again, the idea that Guendouzi at 25m is “too expensive” appears presposterous!

I didn’t take that line as we couldn’t afford it, more that they didn’t think he was worth £25m given everything and that they valued him at a lower value.

• Like 3