Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

So ... "linked with" Tielmans (looking perhaps likely) and Torres (unclear), and we've "held talks" with LaPorte? Does that sum it up? I wonder what could be cooking up secretly. I have a feeling (a worthless hunch, that's all) that there's an under-the-radar search for an Iberian or French striker or right winger under way. Hope so.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen some Spurs fans wanting Ollie to replace Kane if/when he goes.

Do we think Ollie would consider it?

Or is this one time you'd hope he is Arsenal through and through? lol

I think if Spurs had finished top 4 he’d have considered it. No point now as we’ve finished above them, and see no reason why we won’t again. He’d hold out for Arsenal now I think.

Is Laporte capable of doing the " Defensive " right back role?

Is he a left sided or right sided CB?

Don't know much about him but general consensus is if he's been playing for City, or signed by them in the first place he must have something about him.

He'll obviously be able to " play " with the ball.

If there is truth to some of these defensive links... I wonder if we could actually see system/ formation changes and more fluidity?

3 at the back and so on.

I've seen Pep play some interesting formations.

Especially with " ball players ", we could have Cb's good enough to be sweepers or secondary DMs etc.

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is Laporte capable of doing the " Defensive " right back role?

Is he a left sided or right sided CB?

Don't know much about him but general consensus is if he's been playing for City, or signed by them in the first place he must have something about him.

He'll obviously be able to " play " with the ball.

He is left footed and has played left back a bit for City this season

• Thanks 1

Just now, I Make Pies said:

Laporte is good but is he the right age to be spending big on (he's 29)? We already have Mings (30) and Diego Carlos (30). Pau Torres is 26 and Konsa is 25 btw.

I think he is. He is a real threat from set pieces too.

Liverpool signing A Macallister, K Thuram and M Kone. A completely new midfield. If they hit the ground running, they will be strong next year. On paper, that feels strong (albeit a lot of it being potential).

10 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

Laporte is good but is he the right age to be spending big on (he's 29)? We already have Mings (30) and Diego Carlos (30). Pau Torres is 26 and Konsa is 25 btw.

I get your concern.

However, I never thought we needed a 29 year old Left Back either.

Look how that turned out?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get your concern.

However, I never thought we needed a 29 year old Left Back either.

Look how that turned out?

I'm just curious as to how they go about squad construction. I'm sure they take ages into account but maybe when a good player becomes available they just take the plunge regardless. The benefits of signing a player of this calibre may outweigh the potential headache of having three players in the same position going into their 30s.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

We also have Kerr smith, Josh feeney, Sil Swinkels, and poss Lamare Bogarde coming through so wouldn’t worry too much about ages of in incoming CB’s… 

• Like 1

We won't sign both of these, surely? Konsa may well move to the RB/RCB hybrid, but even signing one of them that'd still leave us with Carlos, Mings, Konsa, Laporte/Torres and Chambers. That's way too many, and Emery clearly rates Mings (new contract recently), Laporte/Torres just signed, Konsa has been brilliant, and Carlos may be working back but I doubt we're just going to get rid of him - if he is "finished" then we'll struggle to do that anyway.

Europe may give us extra games, but no-one outside of Man City would have that depth at CB - we wouldn't keep them all happy