Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Tom13 said:

Perhaps I was being too subtle.  Neither player will play for a decent side in the Premier Division.  Gyokeres is ok in the Championship but won't find the space in the top division.  Some nice touches, but he's playing against second class defenders.  You want Villa to sign him and play him next to Watkins?  It's a step backwards, huge step backwards. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, STO said:

Perhaps I was being too subtle.  Neither player will play for a decent side in the Premier Division.  Gyokeres is ok in the Championship but won't find the space in the top division.  Some nice touches, but he's playing against second class defenders.  You want Villa to sign him and play him next to Watkins?  It's a step backwards, huge step backwards. 

Well it wasn't really subtle, just strange to bring Hogan into the discussion at all. Gyokeres quite clearly has PL potential, hence the many links. Time will tell though.

From the time he signed for Middlesbrough and until the end of the season Archer got more goals and more assists than Gyokeres. Not saying that that means that Archer is better than Gyokeres, but it's enough that it would seem pointless to bring in Gyokeres in Archer's stead or to block Archer's pathway. If we sign a striker I think will be someone as good or better than Watkins.

• Like 3

Mirror throwing our name in for Wolves forward Hwang Hee-chan…

With there FFP issues there’s a few players I’d take from them - Rayan Aït-Nouri, Pedro Neto as well as a player I was desperate for us to sign last summer in Matheus Nunes… If true we were in for Ugarte at £50 million I wonder if he is a more realistic option? 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mirror throwing our name in for Wolves forward Hwang Hee-chan…

With there FFP issues there’s a few players I’d take from them - Rayan Aït-Nouri, Pedro Neto as well as a player I was desperate for us to sign last summer in Matheus Nunes… If true we were in for Ugarte at £50 million I wonder if he is a more realistic option? 

Neto before his injuries, sure. Not now. Chan is garbage too. Aït-Nouri would be an interesting one. Still a lot of potential there. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, useless said:

From the time he signed for Middlesbrough and until the end of the season Archer got more goals and more assists than Gyokeres. Not saying that that means that Archer is better than Gyokeres, but it's enough that it would seem pointless to bring in Gyokeres in Archer's stead or to block Archer's pathway. If we sign a striker I think will be someone as good or better than Watkins.

I'd agree in general, but think we wouldn't be spending big on a striker as there are other more obvious needs, particularly wide forward. Would rather spend big in that  position. But I think we do need some kind of more experienced back up/alternative to Watkins, available  cheap/on a free. Today's  equivalent of Luc Nilis or Tommy Johnson e.g. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well it wasn't really subtle, just strange to bring Hogan into the discussion at all. Gyokeres quite clearly has PL potential, hence the many links. Time will tell though.

I'm not sure he does, really.  Maybe for a newly promoted side, but we're talking about a guy who is about to turn 25 here - not some 21 year old with a load of potential.  Maybe he kicks on rapidly after two good seasons, but he's not the kind of player we should be looking at.  Far too risky.

15 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

In full swing with Villarreal, Nicolas Jackson arouses strong interest from Aston Villa where Emery could work with him again. Napoli also interested. 21, the Senegalese scored 11 goals in 24 La Liga matches. Profile to follow. #Mercato

I really like the look of this guy. He is young, fast, strong, skilful and unlike many similar players, he plays with his head up and makes good decisions. It’s rumoured that he has a release clause of €35m. If true, he will surely go this summer. Hopefully it’s to us.

• Like 1

I think centre-forward opions will be:

World renowned striker who is beheld within the game with same amount of reverance as Emery, this will be difficult.
Someone of a similar stature in the game to Watkins, maybe a Jonathan David, or Moussa Dembélé
A young striker with potential but one who is very highly rated and we're pretty sure they can get even better
Maybe an older striker on loan as a stop gap whilst Archer and Duran develop more.
A wide forward that can also play centrally, I'm starting to envision that this might be most likely
The more I think about Jonathan David makes sense, as can play as striker, wide and as a widrawn striker.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure he does, really.  Maybe for a newly promoted side, but we're talking about a guy who is about to turn 25 here - not some 21 year old with a load of potential.  Maybe he kicks on rapidly after two good seasons, but he's not the kind of player we should be looking at.  Far too risky.

Absolutely.  The player we are looking for is an upgrade to Ollie, or at the very least, someone who is interchangeable with him, not that I am advocating that we get rid of Ollie, but we need someone already tried and tested, not someone we have to wait for, or hope that they will make the mark in the Premier league.   Worth a gamble, yes, but we need bigger and better players if we want to trouble the top 6.  The clubs Gyokeres is being linked to are nothing special. 

49 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I really like the look of this guy. He is young, fast, strong, skilful and unlike many similar players, he plays with his head up and makes good decisions. It’s rumoured that he has a release clause of €35m. If true, he will surely go this summer. Hopefully it’s to us.

Why would we pay his release clause?

Bournmouth had a 21m bid accepted for him in jan, but that fell through after the medical.

Jackson has had a sensational second half to the season, £21m likely wouldn't get him now and will probably be going to a club with a much bigger status than Bournemouth.

I’ve only seen highlights of Jackson so difficult to take a view on a player watching YouTube, what I do like though is that he seems quite versatile. 

I said earlier in the thread that I think we’ll be looking at players that can play anywhere across the front 3 rather than an out and out CF, and from the little I’ve seen  he appears to be someone that can do that. 

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Does the Mrs Jackson song play in your head substituting the Mrs part with Nicolas  when you read his name?

if not, it will now 

• Haha 1