Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

He probably goes Spurs if it’s a straight option between the two. Knows Porro from Sporting, and Bentancur from Uruguay. Plus they’re in London, and generally a much more attractive prospect to those who don’t know what we’re cooking. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll see a lot more games with 3 CBs starting and one of them "starting in LB/RB" and then being the one who can join midfield. 

Pau Torres has outstanding long passing game. I think we need to fill the team with the players in CB and CM who can split the lines with the right pass at the right time to a player in space. 

When we're under the high press the thought in the elite players mind is not that they'll be turned over in possession, it's thinking of the attacking players in space.If we beat the press we can score as they're open. 

Mings and Konsa don't have that elite level long pass. In my mind a Torres, Mings, Carlos, Cash, or Moreno, Torres, Carlos, Konsa.

I think we'll sign one CB and move Chambers on if we get ECL 8 players of a high level for the back 4 is plenty. Kamara also capable of playing CB in a crisis

Very much agree, we need horses for courses. 

If we were to get Pau Torres, Ugarte, Callebos, thats a lot of playing options available defensively and in midfield we would have. We do need to add a couple of forwards though.

Pau Torres - £28m

Callebos - Free

Ugarte - £50m

Guendouzi - £35m (however sounds unlikely)

Lo Celso - £15m

Asensio - Free

Nico Williams  - £35m

Ferran Torres - £55m  (however sounds unlikely)

Kang-In - £18m

Any combination of 4/5 of these players is not inconceivable and improves us greatly. We have plenty of squad players to shift who will all add transfer funds.

Edited by thunderball

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see us spending that much on a DCM.

He's much more than a DCM, I think he is a generally a fairly dynamic midfielder who excels defensively. He would certainly be a coup and next level player  if we did. As a 22.y.o. you could sign on a 6 year deal and amortise the fee quite comfortably.

I would suggest this is the pond we are fishing in now (at least for one or two players), but I cant see us laying any more for players unless we get CL.

Edited by thunderball

14 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He probably goes Spurs if it’s a straight option between the two. Knows Porro from Sporting, and Bentancur from Uruguay. Plus they’re in London, and generally a much more attractive prospect to those who don’t know what we’re cooking. 

They don't have a manager though so won't be signing off any deals before that I doubt. Gives a bit of time to sell the Emery train to him.

23 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

If Spurs hire Slot as manager, they will go for Kokcu.

I'd be surprised if Spurs are actually in for Ugarte, considering they don't have a manager or Sporting Director.

Edited by duke313

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

They don't have a manager though so won't be signing off any deals before that I doubt. Gives a bit of time to sell the Emery train to him.

I think Levy makes all the decisions, thats half the problem at Spurs.

Whilst nothing surprises me at Spurs, you have to think they already have Bentacur, Hojbjerg, Bissouma, Matar Sarr &  Dier who are similar, and they are looking like they have to buy Kulusevski (who they now dont seem to want). Also with Son mis-firing and Kane possibly off, you wonder if their priorities are elsewhere? Is this just lazy media speculation?

On 23/05/2023 at 07:25, Rustibrooks said:

I have a feeling it could be us as one of the clubs that are advancing on this? Seemed to have found some decent players for Leverkusen

Bit of a dandy with that scarf. Out.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I think that very much depends on the weekend. 

If Spurs miss out on Europe next season it will almost certainly mean that Kane leaves and there will be little that the club could do to stop him.  The top clubs know that Kane only has 3 or 4 seasons left at the top of his game and so will go all in to get him now.  Kane will know that his chances of winning trophies at Spurs next season are remote and so will be doing everything in his power to manipulate a move - he can't give them a year and then hope that they break into the top 4 next season.  If Kane leaves then you can bet your bottom dollar that other players will start looking around.  I think part of the reason Spurs are struggling to find a manager at the moment is that all the managers at the level they want will have gone back and listened to Conte's press conference and be wondering just what the hell would have driven him to make such an outburst.  And Spurs aren't Chelsea or Man City - they can't just throw £300m around and try and spend their way out of a crisis.

You look at the Spurs players on the pitch and they don't generally look like a happy camp.  I don't know that players would be super enthusiastic about lauding the club to other players they know.  They might be very enthusiastic about London true but I think they'd struggle to say that Spurs are in a great place.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I think that very much depends on the weekend. 

If Spurs miss out on Europe next season it will almost certainly mean that Kane leaves and there will be little that the club could do to stop him.  The top clubs know that Kane only has 3 or 4 seasons left at the top of his game and so will go all in to get him now.  Kane will know that his chances of winning trophies at Spurs next season are remote and so will be doing everything in his power to manipulate a move - he can't give them a year and then hope that they break into the top 4 next season.  If Kane leaves then you can bet your bottom dollar that other players will start looking around.  I think part of the reason Spurs are struggling to find a manager at the moment is that all the managers at the level they want will have gone back and listened to Conte's press conference and be wondering just what the hell would have driven him to make such an outburst.  And Spurs aren't Chelsea or Man City - they can't just throw £300m around and try and spend their way out of a crisis.

You look at the Spurs players on the pitch and they don't generally look like a happy camp.  I don't know that players would be super enthusiastic about lauding the club to other players they know.  They might be very enthusiastic about London true but I think they'd struggle to say that Spurs are in a great place.

May also turn out that he thinks Porro and Bentancur are rocket polishers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I guess we might make a switch to 4-3-3 next season if we do sign Ugarte? He’ll play as a holding midfield and Kamara/Luiz just in front of him? Regardless having another good DM will make us a bit more versatile

There was a quote in another thread from Emery where he says his preferred formation is 4141 or 433. So, it's possible we could switch to that for certain games.

Having a midfield of Ugarte/Kamara/Luiz would genuinely be one of the best in the league, second probably only to City at present.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I guess we might make a switch to 4-3-3 next season if we do sign Ugarte? He’ll play as a holding midfield and Kamara/Luiz just in front of him? Regardless having another good DM will make us a bit more versatile

Probably closer to a 4-3-1-2 - where one of the midfielders has more licence to play in attack when we have the ball (probably joined by at least one of our full-back on the overlap) but then going back to a 4-4-2 when we don't have the ball.  Which we kind of do a fair bit anyway - I just think we'll be doing it with better players. 

But Ugarte appears to be much more than a DM anyway - his heatmap for this season is basically bright red for the whole of the pitch between the two penalty boxes.  If you just look at his heatmap he looks much more like a B2B midfielder than a DM.  I think he reason that he gets talked about as "just" a DCM so much is that his defensive stats are off the chart and he hasn't got many (any?) goals or assists - but he does seem to quite often have been the man who assisted the assist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't see the ~£50m player in Ugarte tbh. Hope to be wrong if he joins.

No.  You would be right.  If he joins us he'll be an £80m player by the end of the season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If Spurs hire Slot as manager, they will go for Kokcu.

I'd be surprised if Spurs are actually in for Ugarte, considering they don't have a manager or Sporting Director.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO