Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

46 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Watkins/new

Ramsey                          N.Williams

Luiz

Ugarte               Kamara 

With McGinn as an option to start in any of those positions in midfield. Looks tasty. 

Ramsey wont be a starter imo , mcginn will be , so just behind ollie on both sides should be new signings going straight in as bailey hasn’t justified starting, yes ramsey has done ok and got a few goals but we can definitely upgrade heavy on him, great option off the bench and start a few games for sure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ceballos is actually an interesting one, could be quite a smart signing. Good pedigree - Arsenal took him on loan for a second season, plenty of time at Madrid - it’s hard to replace the likes of Modric, Kroos, etc. About to turn 27. Experience in both CL and PL. On a free too. Makes sense?

Might be a replacement for Coutinho?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Hopefully we can bring him in.

If we managed to get Ugarte and Pau Torres that would be huge.

I wouldn't of thought we'd spend the bulk of our transfer kitty or half of it (who knows how much we have to spend) on those 2. don't get me wrong love both at our club, but think will be going more attacking player upgrades, striker, winger & a number 10 maybe, what would Torres & Ugarte cost £80 million for both maybe & i do feel weve been very good defensively, so is there a rush to upgrade. get the feeling we're going to work that on a free market again this season 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TH said:

Ceballos is actually an interesting one, could be quite a smart signing. Good pedigree - Arsenal took him on loan for a second season, plenty of time at Madrid - it’s hard to replace the likes of Modric, Kroos, etc. About to turn 27. Experience in both CL and PL. On a free too. Makes sense?

Might be a replacement for Coutinho?

Free transfers generally work out as the same financial outlay as paying a transfer fee - we'll just be paying him a premium in wages and signing fee instead of a fee to his club. Can't really remember how well he did for Arsenal but I guess if Emery does want him again he must've done well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I wouldn't of thought we'd spend the bulk of our transfer kitty or half of it (who knows how much we have to spend) on those 2. don't get me wrong love both at our club, but think will be going more attacking player upgrades, striker, winger & a number 10 maybe, what would Torres & Ugarte cost £80 million for both maybe & i do feel weve been very good defensively, so is there a rush to upgrade. get the feeling we're going to work that on a free market again this season 

Yep, goals have been our problem this season. Maybe 1-2 defensive reinforcements but I think the bulk of our budget will go on our attack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ramsey wont be a starter imo , mcginn will be , so just behind ollie on both sides should be new signings going straight in as bailey hasn’t justified starting, yes ramsey has done ok and got a few goals but we can definitely upgrade heavy on him, great option off the bench and start a few games for sure.

If the two behind Ollie are both new starters then where does McGinn start?  I can't see him being picked ahead or Ugarte, Kamara or Luiz.

1 minute ago, allani said:

If the two behind Ollie are both new starters then where does McGinn start?  I can't see him being picked ahead or Ugarte, Kamara or Luiz.

I posted this before but it would be something similar to this. Give you a better idea of how we would set up.

1A927E7F-7F53-482E-A61C-6E4D98F79DA9.jpeg

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

I posted this before but it would be something similar to this. Give you a better idea of how we would set up.

That’s a big-headed side… but would be great at winning the aerial battle 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ceballos is a lovely player, just hasn't ever been able to live up to the potential considering he was one of the most highly-regarded prospects in the world at U21 level. Also has gotten himself in trouble once or twice for things he's said and done off the pitch so probably hasn't helped himself either in that regard (might be more but off the top of my head he got into a scrap in Arsenal training and once tweeted about the Nou Camp being bombed or something).

Still and all, really talented and could be a good signing. Not sure he's the profile of player that would be much of a game-changer for the squad though.

Just now, RicRic said:

I don't disagree with the above at least in terms of positions (although I think we'll be closer to a 4-3-1-2 than a 4-3-2-1 but that is a separate discussion).  But the post you replied to had Ugarte in the middle three.  If we have Ugarte, Kamara, Luiz and McGinn fighting for the three positions then McGinn will (I think) be the one who starts on the bench because I feel that the other three give more control and balance to allow the front 3 to attack and for Moreno to bomb forward and provide width to the attack.  There will be games when maybe McGinn is a better fit (i.e. maybe if we go more 4-4-2 and so drop the third attacker with McGinn playing a slightly more free role from midfield).

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Ceballos is a lovely player, just hasn't ever been able to live up to the potential considering he was one of the most highly-regarded prospects in the world at U21 level. Also has gotten himself in trouble once or twice for things he's said and done off the pitch so probably hasn't helped himself either in that regard (might be more but off the top of my head he got into a scrap in Arsenal training and once tweeted about the Nou Camp being bombed or something).

Still and all, really talented and could be a good signing. Not sure he's the profile of player that would be much of a game-changer for the squad though.

27 is still young, about to hit his prime. If Emery can make McGinn look world class, I'd trust him with Ceballos.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I don't disagree with the above at least in terms of positions (although I think we'll be closer to a 4-3-1-2 than a 4-3-2-1 but that is a separate discussion).  But the post you replied to had Ugarte in the middle three.  If we have Ugarte, Kamara, Luiz and McGinn fighting for the three positions then McGinn will (I think) be the one who starts on the bench because I feel that the other three give more control and balance to allow the front 3 to attack and for Moreno to bomb forward and provide width to the attack.  There will be games when maybe McGinn is a better fit (i.e. maybe if we go more 4-4-2 and so drop the third attacker with McGinn playing a slightly more free role from midfield).

I agree but again mcginn shouldn’t be looked at us a bench option at this time, but we can still sign someone who is in that same bracket and can give him tough competition, secondly Ugarte is a very expensive player in the £50m pound region so i dont want us to be spending high in an area which needs strengthening the very least in our side right now, two forward players around watkins that can get 11 goals a season between them would be the grand plan believe me.

Duran as hungry as hes looked is nowhere near the first team so we can probably not consider him in any plan at this time, if anything he will be a carabao cup starter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Why is everyone posting 4-3-3 formations when Emery has never played us in that formation? We play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-2-2 don't we?

Emery mentioned in an interview that his preferred formation is 4141 or 433, but he plays 442 a lot as it gives underdog teams a balance of being difficult to break down and being decent going forward.

ie: maybe if we have a summer Emery is happy with in terms of squad improvements, we might see a 4141 or 422 next season?

Aside from that, the 433's posted still include the same general positions that Emery plays in his 442's, so tbh they can be mix and matched as long as the core player types are right for both.

5 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Why is everyone posting 4-3-3 formations when Emery has never played us in that formation? We play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-2-2 don't we?

It's not hard to switch that 433 to our 442, McGinn goes out further right and the LW drops to LM

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Free transfers generally work out as the same financial outlay as paying a transfer fee - we'll just be paying him a premium in wages and signing fee instead of a fee to his club.

I see people saying this a lot, but is there actually much evidence to suggest wages + signing fee for a free transfer equals the same as a standard transfer fee + wages + signing fee? I read an ESPN article last year that suggested an out of contract PL player with CL experience was looking for a £10m signing fee, though teams weren't willing to pay that much. The article didn't disclose who that player was, but a player with that type of profile and years left on their contract would have cost much more than £10m in last summer's market.

Edited by gaz90