Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

10 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I agree Smith Rowe would be a brilliant signing but there isn't any value in signing top PL players for us, I think we are still a way off being able to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign a single PL player in the summer.

We could, as there'll be a lot of money to spend. Whether Emery does is another matter. There's usually / always better value abroad and he knows the markets well.
I wouldn't call Smith Rowe a top PL player at this point in time though. He doesn't play enough. He certainly could be.

• Like 2

A player mentioned a few times in this thread - Thiago Almada - who plays for Atlanta United in the MLS looks like he's heading to Napoli, according to reports out of Italy.

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What!!! Arsenal tried sign Dougie in January and they might win the league so I can’t agree with your statement.

Exactly, we have kept players under much worse circumstances.

We will now, undoubtedly be in the strongest position we have ever been in over a decade.

Everything ranging from owners, through to finances, Management and progress.

I have a feeling that some players would more likely be fighting to stay than the other way round.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But there are players in other leagues as good as Smith-Rowe that will cost half the price. Why overpay to get him, when we can get someone else for a fraction of the price?

True, but I suppose the premium is that Smith Rowe knows the league and there are less uncertainties over whether he'd fit in being a "native".
Prices for young English players do take the piss though so at some point it's best to say no thanks and look abroad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

True, but I suppose the premium is that Smith Rowe knows the league and there are less uncertainties over whether he'd fit in being a "native".
Prices for young English players do take the piss though so at some point it's best to say no thanks and look abroad.

Anthony Gordon being a prime example, Newcastle could have bought a far better player than him from abroad for half the money they paid.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But there are players in other leagues as good as Smith-Rowe that will cost half the price. Why overpay to get him, when we can get someone else for a fraction of the price?

Fair question! I’m not suggesting buying Smith Rowe but I don’t think ruling out PL players is right.  

There are advantages sometimes of buying PL players from knowing they can play in this league, can hit the ground running, may even live locally so already settled and their family, language known, relationship already with other players and more reasons but you get the point so sometimes paying extra can be worth it but you do pay a premium.  Sometimes that while any transfer is a risk it can reduce the risk significantly of the transfer working.  

It also depends whose available and who Emery wants, I’m just saying that we shouldn’t think always getting a player type cheaper is always going to be the same as paying a premium because is there is more risk but we also shouldn’t exclude cheaper because risk is greater but the fit maybe better.

As for Smith Rowe, well a massive advantage is that Emery has worked with him before.

9 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We could, as there'll be a lot of money to spend. Whether Emery does is another matter. There's usually / always better value abroad and he knows the markets well.
I wouldn't call Smith Rowe a top PL player at this point in time though. He doesn't play enough. He certainly could be.

Smith Rowe is a difficult one he has fell down the pecking order under Arteta I wonder what sort of salary he is on right now? 

Edited by zab6359

I don't really get putting some kind of blanket rule or idea over what leagues signings should and should not come from. Some of Villa's most integral current players came from other Premier League teams (Martinez, Mings, Luiz) so it's not like it's something that should absolutely be avoided. So many factors go into signings, main thing is just that they end up being the right ones.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I've always thought Smith Rowe is a top player but injuries have blighted him.

It's odd. Now we're flying and we're 6th, I find myself turning my nose up at very good footballers.

I need to get a grip.

Emery is known for bringing players that have fallen from grace back and we know ESR has masses of talent and is young.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Anthony Gordon being a prime example, Newcastle could have bought a far better player than him from abroad for half the money they paid.

I cant believe Newcastle went for him, he's been shite for a year or so and his attitude is suspect. That, and he looks like Claire Balding after an over zealous colonic irrigation.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Emery is known for bringing players that have fallen from grace back and we know ESR has masses of talent and is young.

My concern wouldn't be with Emery being able to get the best out of him, which we've seen is very good. It's the injuries that have happened this season. 

For the amount he'll cost, I'd want to know that we've done our homework on whether those injuries were the recurring type or the one off freak accident type.

And all I keep thinking is there is surely better value to be had elsewhere in Europe. 

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

My concern wouldn't be with Emery being able to get the best out of him, which we've seen is very good. It's the injuries that have happened this season. 

For the amount he'll cost, I'd want to know that we've done our homework on whether those injuries were the recurring type or the one off freak accident type.

And all I keep thinking is there is surely better value to be had elsewhere in Europe. 

Yep all fair, I’m sure whoever we buy we will have done our due diligence.  I’m not expecting any names being discussed now are who we are after anyway but replace ESR with ‘Player X’ so any number of player could be put there whether ESR or Brennan Johnson or whoever.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair question! I’m not suggesting buying Smith Rowe but I don’t think ruling out PL players is right.  

There are advantages sometimes of buying PL players from knowing they can play in this league, can hit the ground running, may even live locally so already settled and their family, language known, relationship already with other players and more reasons but you get the point so sometimes paying extra can be worth it but you do pay a premium.  Sometimes that while any transfer is a risk it can reduce the risk significantly of the transfer working.  

It also depends whose available and who Emery wants, I’m just saying that we shouldn’t think always getting a player type cheaper is always going to be the same as paying a premium because is there is more risk but we also shouldn’t exclude cheaper because risk is greater but the fit maybe better.

As for Smith Rowe, well a massive advantage is that Emery has worked with him before.

Why sign Emile Smith-Rowe for £50m, when we can sigh Emiliano Herrero-Roja for £15m 🤣

And do we really need another Emi in the team?

Edited by duke313

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I've always thought Smith Rowe is a top player but injuries have blighted him.

It's odd. Now we're flying and we're 6th, I find myself turning my nose up at very good footballers.

I need to get a grip.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He's had ONE documented injury this season...  A sports hernia, for which he needed surgery/several months to recover.  He's been fully fit for a bit now and still not getting picked by Arteta.  Sounds like it's attitude related based on Arteta's comments.  He's looking for more from ESR in training and doesn't want him to rest on his laurels from last season.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He's had ONE documented injury this season...  A sports hernia, for which he needed surgery/several months to recover.  He's been fully fit for a bit now and still not getting picked by Arteta.  Sounds like it's attitude related based on Arteta's comments.  He's looking for more from ESR in training and doesn't want him to rest on his laurels from last season.  

maybe we dont want him then.

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The original source was local radio. They could be jumping off of the back of a link suggesting we’d pay the fee. 

So the Spanish Daz Hale? Do people listen to local radio? 

Mate

:trollface:

Edited by av1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Just did some reading. Sounds like it was a groin injury that started for him back in 2019, and was only ever "managed" since then.

Sounds like he would be a gamble signing as he's had surgery on it and not played any significant football since recovering. I would trust Emery to know the attitude of a player he'd coached before and if he wanted him I wouldn't be worried what Arteta thinks.

But I'm intrigued how we'd price up the gamble of a career long groin injury that hasn't been tested since it was operated on.