Would you be happy if Barry stayed here now?

BOF

Would you be happy for him to stay?  

355 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy for him to stay?

• Yes I would be happy
    • No, I just want rid of him now
    • Undecided

Maybe, but MON does strike as having a ruthless streak in him, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was made to do something publically as an apology.

Contrary to Mr Blatter's views, players aren't slaves.

You have only to look at the statement about Barry staying and MON's next-day retraction to see that the power relationship is not at all one-way.

MON does have a ruthless streak. But it's a very long way from there, to saying it's either sensible for him to seek something humiliating, or possible for him to enforce it. You have to deal with the real world here. It's not about enforcing your will like in a crappy american film, it's about doing what is possible and leads to the most acceptable outcome.

Depends if he signs a new contract I suppose (which is the rumour)

BUT I'll never feel the same about him again, until this summer there was a little part of Barry that was me, not anymore

Agreed entirely.

Right now I want him to f*ck off, but should he stay and commit his future to Aston Villa by signing a new contract then I'll be happy to keep a quality player who'll be motivated by his England ambitions to do his best on the pitch. It's the results that matter, after all.

But he'll never be the same Gareth Barry in my eyes. It would take A LOT to forgive what has happened this summer.

He will never be the same in any Villa fan's eyes.

I'd rather keep him cos he's simply class, and it's one nil to us v the top 4 in their quest to nick our players. Coming up next......Young to Manu with them opening the bidding at £12m...

Depends if he signs a new contract I suppose (which is the rumour)

BUT I'll never feel the same about him again, until this summer there was a little part of Barry that was me, not anymore

Agreed entirely.

Right now I want him to f*ck off, but should he stay and commit his future to Aston Villa by signing a new contract then I'll be happy to keep a quality player who'll be motivated by his England ambitions to do his best on the pitch. It's the results that matter, after all.

But he'll never be the same Gareth Barry in my eyes. It would take A LOT to forgive what has happened this summer.

He will never be the same in any Villa fan's eyes.

I'd rather keep him cos he's simply class, and it's one nil to us v the top 4 in their quest to nick our players. Coming up next......Young to Manu with them opening the bidding at £12m...

I agree. I'd rather keep him, because he's good. But if someone better becomes available, fine.

I didn't feel like that a couple of months ago. It's just business, now.

Its interesting isnt it that 66% either want him to stay or cant decide as opposed to 33% who want him gone. Sounds to me like he could be easily forgiven - despiete everything I would like him to stay - life's too short and we need players of quality.

He needs to come out now and say he made a mistake and will commit to a new contract with Villa!

Mike, most of the summer i was with you on this .... but not now.

I have seen a different side to Gareth Barry that i honestly didn't think existed.

His head is cleraly 90 odd miles up the motorway in everthing he says .... even defending the management at Liverpool and declaring he is being overpriced....recent events have clearly had no effect on his stance,

I would like to see a player arrive with comparable talent and just get rid of the player as soon as is possible.

we should just get on with our lives and treat him as if he ain't there.

.... as for folk blaming his agent.... well he would have sacked his agent by now if his agent was not acting in his interests..... so he must have endorsed all his agents actions.

Barry has been a cock but I will not hold it against him. He is, afterall, one of the best central midfielders in this country and would be sorely missed if he left the team.

As a lot of footballers are cocks, I would have to forgive him.

Yes id gladly keep the best player we have please. However...

An analagy if you will..

This feels very much like my missus telling me she wants to leave me for an apparently more handsome man who can offer her things that i cant (flashy car, nights at the opera, trips to europe every couple of weeks). Now things have been unsettled between us for a while, it started with me hearing one or two rumours some months back so i decided to sit down wth her and have a talk about this - to which she told me that she did indeed fancy this handsome bloke and wants to leave me for him - however she has been playing silly begars with me for a few months now as due to my dissapopintment at her recent revelations about our relationship i decided to see how much this handsome guy actually wants her by setting a specific date whereby if this handsome bloke sends a text msg saying he is going to come and collect her then ill have to let her go - but she seems somewhat unsure about things, and her parents are (who hate me) are playing a huge part in organising their beloved daughter's love life - they are in constant contact with him trying to pursuade him to send this text. However this handsome guy has recently acqured himself another love interest in the form of a pretty irish girl who was working in london, although she was once working up in the west midlands - this chap had no hesitation in pursuing her and sending a text for the irish bird - but he is reluctant to pay 25p text msg cost in order to acquire my missus. My missus has been deliberating this decision all summer and to be perfectly honest its breaking my heart, ive only ever treated her well and we were all getting on great but she has had her head turned by the handome guy's money along with the constant pursuading from her parents. But when i speak to her and tell her that i aim to earn more money very soon in order to give her the lfestyle she wants, she seems like she may believe it, but then after we'd agreed a meeting for the handsome chap to come and collect her, the agreed time and date had passed and we'd all agreed she was going to stay with me. I went and told all my friends and everything, even got the local news involved as we'd agreed. But behind my back her parents had run off to the handsome bloke and told him that she desperatly wants to be with him - so my whole world has been flipped upside down in a day, and now ive had to admit that perhaps im not going to be able to keep my girl - but then as i try and get on with my life and meet new girls, she's still here, wearing my clothes, speaking with my friends etc and its killing me, all the local people are gossiping about it - i just want this to end. Now ive heard that apparently this handsome chap is saying he cant afford to stump up the text msg fee and although he apparentyl still wants her he isnt happy with the price - utter bollocks, so much for him giving it the big "i am". What a clearing in the woods. So now it seems that there may be a slight chance that she will, afterall stay with me, but i heard this last week then it all changed so whats to stop that happening again?! And now im left thinking, even if she does stay will she perform (in the bedroom) will she be as commited as she has been since we started dating 10yrs ago, does she still care about me or will she still be thinking of him when she's with me??

One things for sure, either way i just cannot wait for the dating deadline august 31st to come, so all this can finally blow over.

One of Brian Cloughs central tennents of management was "If a player doesnt want to play for you/the club, get rid" with an emphasis on "immediately".

I think Barry was banned from the training ground purely because at that point, with deadlines perhaps having been previously communicated (and this is before the press nonsense about deadlines were leaked), O Neill genuinely thought that pool would have done the deal in that time.

I really dont think Barry will be with us on August 31st. But I think he will be til then. I see pools owners arn't keen on the price, and still think Lerner and O Neill can be jerked around on what is a premium, if not unrealistic price. I think its a game of bluff, and pool are banking on O Neill following Cloughs central belief. However, O Neill is his own man. I for one dont think Lerner is anyones fool, and whilst leaving O Neill to his own devices, would be gently pointing out that its better to realise an unhappy asset than to dig heels in stubbornly. Lerner is still a successful businessman.

Anyway, I think Barrys initial lies of "nothing to talk about til a fee agreed" and "I dont want to talk about it til after the England games" followed by the ill advised NOTW interview, and the deadline nonsense, which we all read as Barry and agent resiling from an agreement made, mean he has now said on too many occasions he has no interest in wearing a Villa shirt.

I say refuse to do business, and punt him to anychampions league club, or even Arsenal for £10m. Let the bindippers rue their filthy underhanded ways, and let the lads put four past the robbing words removed at Villa Park to make us all feel better.

Its gone on too long. And to those who praise his professionalism, well' he's not handled this well has he. Perhaps we will miss him, but I think less than we imagine. I think the void left by Barry will allow PEtrov to let his shackles drop and perform as we've all seen him.

I was a big barry fan. I've been at games as he trotted over for a corner when we made ourselves hoarse shouting Barry for England. Now I'll be shouting "Barry for Rafa's unfathomable rotation policies and intermittent games." Or something.

I'll be happy with him playing for us next season, not as Captain though.

You just know he'll work his bollocks off and raise his game this season, and that alone is worth everyone winding their necks in.

It's for the good of the club IMO.

i think its best that he goes but only for 15+ million. i've got a feeling we might lose him for less than that (about 12), i think it will be difficult for barry to give 100% to the villa cause with his heart set on a move.cheers for the years gareth but go. soon. then we can move onwards and upwards.

I would be very happy if he stays and I think the last few years have really shown his maturity in play and attitude.

Since the outburst a month back, a fine and suspension he seems to have come back just as determined to prove himself.

He has class that only comes with professionalism, he made a mistake, a big one but one mistake cannot be taken out of hand, he has given the club a lot, deserves to be playing at the highest level and even though timing was poor (should have given us one more year from the start) should not be berated with criticism when he performs on the pitch.

He is class, some may say the attributes of world class class player so if he stays would I be happy?

It's an obvious answer, our squad could do with keeping its best players!

I'll be happy if he pisses off now tbh. but only for the right money

if he stays, like others have said, he'll be judged on the pitch and could easily become our scapegoat if things dont go our way.

dont think i'll be singing barry for england again.

or anyone else for england for that matter

Â