Would you be happy if Barry stayed here now?

BOF

Would you be happy for him to stay?  

355 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy for him to stay?

• Yes I would be happy
    • No, I just want rid of him now
    • Undecided

Yes.

-Gareth Barry is undoubtedly a top class player, I want top class players at Villa.

-Liverpool would look stupid and poor, after 4 months of trying to get us to lower our price, they still couldn't get him.

-It'd send a messege to other players on our team that we're willing to figh to keep them, this ould surely be a good thing.

Whether I like him anymore is irrelevant. What is best for AVFC is Barry staying, I'm not sure the money we'll make form his sale would be incredibly useful.

If he made a public statement, signed a new contract and stopped bitching like a girl, I'd have him back. No point cutting off your nose...

I agree with this.

Without it we will feel like a stop gap until he still gets his wish...

After the way this saga has run....I think its time for Barry to move on and for Villa to sign a new AM who has the desire and hunger to play for the C & B Shirt....

I really didn't mind him moving on and had no ill feeling towards him until he opened his trap - He has now burnt his bridges with the manager, fans and the club for me, so its in everbody's interests that he f*cks off.

Yes.

-Gareth Barry is undoubtedly a top class player, I want top class players at Villa.

-Liverpool would look stupid and poor, after 4 months of trying to get us to lower our price, they still couldn't get him.

-It'd send a messege to other players on our team that we're willing to figh to keep them, this ould surely be a good thing.

Whether I like him anymore is irrelevant. What is best for AVFC is Barry staying, I'm not sure the money we'll make form his sale would be incredibly useful.

I think that is spot on!

I'd be happy for him to stay. I don't have to like a villa player as long as he gives his all for the club. If he did stay and it looked like he was just going through the motions then may opinion would change. But at the mo he's the sort of quality we need so yes happy for him to remain at VP

Not sure to be honest. I actually don't think we would miss him that much and I think it would be difficult to keep Sidwell, Barry, Reo-Coker and Petrov all happy and still sign another central midfielder like De La Red (who I know nothing about). I think we could be stronger if we sold him and bought in the right replacement.

The guy is a quality player but there's no doubt (as it has been said all summer) that we will survive without him.

I know it sounds strnage but it really doesn't matter to me at the moment. We sell him to get good money and get someone else in but if we can keep in we have kept one of our best players.

If he stays I'd be happy as he is a top quality player.

If he goes for £18million then I'd be happy as we would have got a good sum of money for him and would no doubt use that to ign a replacement.

SO either way I'm happy really.

he needs to go it's gone too far now.

can anyone look at him now and see him in the same light as before...i can't.

i just see someone who clearly does'nt love the club or the manager and would rather be somewhere else.

shame though.

A couple of groveling PR articles on the OS, a new contract signed.............. come December this will all be a distant memory.

There are plenty of fans out there who aren't getting all bent out of shape about this, predominantly because they don't pour over press reports and interviews with the zeal reserved only for dedicated devotee's to internet message boards.

Barry's been extremely badly advised I feel, it'll take a great deal of bridge building with the squad and manager no doubt, but I reckon he'll be starting for us in the UEFA Cup final next year..........:)

Trying to take the sentiment and emotion out of it, then what's happened is this

Barry after 10 years decided he wanted to move to Liverpool, after being, contacted by them and told they want him.

Villa tried to persuade him to stay, but though he wavered a bit, he decided he still wanted to go.

Liverpool haven't come up with the money to buy him.

That's it.

You can throw in the stuff about criticising the manager, the tiff between FSW and MO'N, the jeering, then the cheering, the complete boredom with the whole saga, but it doesn't really add anything of substance.

I'd be concerned that if he did stay, then in January, or next summer, the same tedium would recur.

I don't know if he did stay, he'd be doing so because there's no alternative for him, rather than because he actually wants to stay. On his part it would be a pragmatic non-decision - he's got no choice.

GB is a consistently excellent player, or has been. IF he stayed would he still be? would his mind be right? or would he still be looking for the first chance to do one?

I suspect that it will take some serious mental re-alignment for MO'N to really want him to stay, whatever he might say. I think MO'N has accepted he's going, and for his mind to be changed on that for the new contract to be re-offered GB would have to convince MO'N that he actually wants to be at the club through choice, not necessity.

Like Bicks suggests, any notions of "he's one of us" have gone. He's "one of them" now, one of those millionaire footballers who don't give a damn.

If he stays, I'll accept it, I'll no doubt admire much of his play but I'll wonder about his spirit. Still if he gets his focus back on doing well for and with Villa, then yeah, why not?

I'd be happy if he stayed.

I would never really respect him again (or it would take a long time anyway) but he showed in the intertoto game that even with his head turned he can still be class and run a game.

I also have serious doubts that we can attarct a player of equal calibre, even with £18 million. We could maybe gamble on 2 younger talents but if we're to hit the top 4 we need players of Barrys quality and experience now.

I'm hoping Liverpool fail to raise the cash or that Benitez's comments about definitely playing him on the left hand side put him off. If he does go i wont shed a tear though, just hope we'd replace him with someone special.

I have been thinking about the - apparently now annual - Cristiano Ronaldo saga where he says he is desperate to leave Man U, Sir Alex catches up with him and has a word, then he says he's delighted to stay and gives 100%+ for Man U in the next season. So wanting to leave a club doesn't necessarily mean you can't give a committed performance for that club.

The difference is that Barry is older and should be wiser. He hasn't said he would be more than happy to stay at Villa - the idea of staying has now been mentioned as a further raising of the stakes with Liverpool, to try to force them to take him. As things stand, there is nothing to suggest he wouldn't launch another escape attempt at the earliest opportunity.

I think there would need to be a major change of attitude on Barry's behalf, one that really carries conviction, for me to want him to stay. And so far it just isn't happening.

Â