Jhon Durán

PieFacE

6 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I agree with this, i'm absolutely fuming we haven't signed Chris Wood or Aubameyang if i'm honest

Why would you pick 2 strikers that have failed? So you are saying that every proven player we ever buy will fail like they did? Ok then.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Why would you pick 2 strikers that have failed? So you are saying that every proven player we ever buy will fail like they did? Ok then.

Name me Chelsea's last successful out and out striker purchase then...

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

Ok you are right. Because Chelsea throw money around all over the shop, we should never buy any proven strikers. You win. We dont need a striker. I was wrong.

I'll bow out of this thread now.

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

Ok you are right. Because Chelsea throw money around all over the shop, we should never buy any proven strikers. You win. We dont need a striker. I was wrong.

I'll bow out of this thread now.

You directly compared our striker purchasing strategy with Chelsea's, not sure why i'm wrong for questioning it...

29 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

It was literally Drogba, it was actually that long ago. 

Meanwhile they've had a perfectly good striker in Tammy (homegrown) who performed for Chelsea. 

And they sold him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

heck, i wonder if we are hoping Duran will be a better, less injury prone version of Davis.....

This is where the issue is for me, is he any better than Davies? His highlights over the last 12 months or so, compared to Davies shows no clear winner , is the MLS as strong as the championship? I don't think it is.

We have had plenty of punts like this recently and I haven't got much confidence in our transfers so far, bar some isolated successes, Kamara and Ollie. 

This screams of Jordan Bowery to me, I hope I'm wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

he's gonna get some pelters early on from a section of fans if he plays like this.

Honestly had a couple of good moments in there. A couple of nice passes, a dangerous pass across the face of goal and a header that was behind him that he directed well. 

He seemed nervous early and had a bunch of wayward passes and seems almost as one footed as Bertie.

But there was some good stuff there. 

3 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

A 1 in 4 striker in the MLS. Hmm. I won't be getting excited let's put it that way. It's Jordan Bowery, Simon Dawkins, Jean Makoun levels of meh...

Really needed a proven, quality striker. 

This isn't it.

Minutes is more important he played like 15 games worth of minutes. In the team that scored the 2nd fewest goals in the division. 

Not for the first team they didnt. They aren't struggling for goals either and thats despite the fact they spent 60 million on Isak in the summer and he has been out injured.

He is exactly the kind of signing we needed to make. Not a punt on a kid from the MLS with a fairly poor goalscoring record.

Neither are we lol. We have scored like 2 goals a game since emery has been appointed. That's very good. Only 3 clubs managed 2 goals a game last season. Only 1 the season before that, only 2 the season before that only 1 before that only 2 before that. (if I remember the order correctly basically its 1-3 clubs that score 2 goals a game and we are doing it right now) 

Edit: Plus a goal every other 90 minutes is great which is what he was doing in the MLS. And he also got 3 assists and won 2 penalties. And he didn't take either of them. 13 Goals contributions in about 15.5 games worth of minutes is fantastic. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

We struggled for to score enough goals v Liverpool, Man United, Wolves and Stevenage so far in his reign. We need a more clinical strker.

Well considering we scored 5 goals in 2 games against united. And scored in every one of those games you listed as well it's not exaclty a massive issue. It's not ideal that we lost to stevenage but that was a failure of the defence as much as the attack. 

We got 8 goals in the 5 fixtures. Against 3 good defences and with our B team vs stevenage as well. That projects to 61 goals across the course of the season. Which would have been 6th last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Signing strikers is Notoriously hard. It's very rare for strikers to go from situation where they are banging in goals to another and maintain that production unless they are legitimately top class for that division. See Ings. Or you could compare for us in the championship Kodjia vs Hogan or McCormack.

• Like 1

It is an affordable punt. Whether it is driven by the club or by Emery it is only 14.75 mill. We sold Chuk and bought Duran for the same price. Chelse took a punt on a player with a big upside and so have we.  Wages will be about 30k a week most likely. It will not hurt us if it doesnt work out. And at that age someone else will take a punt like we have . 

• Like 2

A 1 in 4 striker in the MLS. Hmm. I won't be getting excited let's put it that way. It's Jordan Bowery, Simon Dawkins, Jean Makoun levels of meh...

Really needed a proven, quality striker. 

This isn't it.

who's this "proven, quality striker" that is available and on the market? There are much bigger clubs who will be after these same players, for example Man United just signed Wout Weghorst to be their striker. 

and in terms of games, Durán has not played many full game -- a lot of those appearances were sub appearances

I really do not understand how so many assumptions can be made on the back of buying a 19 year old prospect . It doesnt mean that we are skint. It doesnt mean that we are not looking at other striking options. We employ a worldwide scouting system and i am sure that after going over stats time and time again, watching video after video of him and doing huge research , someone has made the decision that as educated guesses go this is a good one.  This is all it means. I highly doubt it is a panic buy or a budget buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tinker said:

This is where the issue is for me, is he any better than Davies? His highlights over the last 12 months or so, compared to Davies shows no clear winner , is the MLS as strong as the championship? I don't think it is.

We have had plenty of punts like this recently and I haven't got much confidence in our transfers so far, bar some isolated successes, Kamara and Ollie. 

This screams of Jordan Bowery to me, I hope I'm wrong.

I must admit the video highlights don't do him any favours. Unless he has improved significantly since then, I think he has a lot of work to do before he should be considered for first team football.

I would say Keinan Davies looks a better player than this lad, although he is about 5 years older. But the fact Brentford were in for him gives me some hope that Duran might be a rough diamond. Emery has a track record of improving players, so if unai can't get him up to speed no one can. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Honestly, I don't think MLS credentials are a helpful indicator of much.  The pace is slower (partly because many matches are played in temps over 100 F.  Partly because the overall player skill is much lower.  That means possession is given away more frequently.  The physical pace is no slower, but the mental pace is a beat or two slower than premiership.  Although TBF, I watched Southampton at Everton and it reminded me of an MLS match.  Nobody was capable (except Ward-Prouse with a free kick).

7 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I must admit the video highlights don't do him any favours. Unless he has improved significantly since then, I think he has a lot of work to do before he should be considered for first team football.

I would say Keinan Davies looks a better player than this lad, although he is about 5 years older. But the fact Brentford were in for him gives me some hope that Duran might be a rough diamond. Emery has a track record of improving players, so if unai can't get him up to speed no one can. 

Two minutes of some randomer's YouTube video and that's all we need to write off a clearly highly rated young kid from Colombia who's been linked to plenty of big clubs. 

• Like 1

Â