Villa Forward X

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Good post, but I disagree with the last bit - Rashford and Wilson look fine in the setups they’re in.

The problem sometimes with the star striker is too much of the play revolves around him, and you can become a bit one dimensional. Spurs are so reliant on Kane that teams have worked them out. Haaland is so good and in such a stellar lineup that it doesn’t matter, but even he’s been pocketed a couple of times this season, and it blunts the goal threat.

I think some of the most dangerous attacking lineups in the PL have been teams that don’t have a big dominant striker - Mané/Firmino/Salah or Cole/Yorke.

The problem we have isn’t so much the player profiles - we have the athlete (Watkins), we have the speed merchant (Bailey), and we have the technical goalscorer (Ings). The issue is they’ve never really hit consistent form at the same time. If they all started firing together, we’d cause a lot of problems to any defence.

You are probably right there, and if i'm honest I can see this revival being a bit of a fad, anyway. Football evolved from this approach for a reason, and as soon as defences are coached into dealing with it again (freaky Haaland aside) I think we'll see it dying out again. A flexible attack is definitely more advanced, and less inconsistent (what if your big man has an off day- it's based very much on individual not system). Liverpool were the poster boys for the new way, but I think their recent lack of success is based on an over reliance on aging players, and not recruiting replacements, rather than it no longer being viable. 

Pep you would think would be the last to re-adopt the big man striker, given their former forward player line up, but I guess if you get the chance to sign Erling you take it and adapt your system accordingly. Think he'll regret the approach in the long run though. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I would love for us to sign Mitrovic..

I think we need a a physical striker that can hold the ball up and bring other players in.

Keinan Davis may have had a chance if he wasn't sent on loan

Don’t think he would fit in to the way Emery wants to play. His mobility isn’t the best. Watched him yesterday and he barely had a kick, well he had 2 when he took his penalty 😀

Benteke was the super striker for sure. He could do everything. Superb in the air, quick, skllful, powerful with 2 great feet. And could score worldies with ease. We never saw Jack and him long enougb together but that would have been a proper scary combo . Would have been incredible football to watch. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Pep you would think would be the last to re-adopt the big man striker, given their former forward player line up, but I guess if you get the chance to sign Erling you take it and adapt your system accordingly. Think he'll regret the approach in the long run though. 

Pep said yesterday they’ll try to get Haaland more involved in the build-up. Must be an unusual feeling for Haaland, people have been praising him his whole career but now he’s already being singled out by some as the guy who is ruining the City winning machine.

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Benteke was the super striker for sure. He could do everything. Superb in the air, quick, skllful, powerful with 2 great feet. And could score worldies with ease. We never saw Jack and him long enougb together but that would have been a proper scary combo . Would have been incredible football to watch. 

Imagine him paired with Yorke instead of Savo (and Savo had his moments)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 22:47, Hank Scorpio said:

There is a major major lack of strikers available so we won't get one of these I suspect!

Yep, they're a dying breed, what we need are 2 goalscoring wide men, Bailey getting double figures, someone from midfield threatening to do the same, we just need more goals across the board

We haven't had a 20 goal a season top flight league striker since withe 40 years ago which is **** mental

Man, reading all these posts about Benteke just reminds me quite how sensational he was.

Obviously big fan of Grealish and Martinez and Kamara and everyone else good we've had since he left, but for me there's something extra special about watching a top-class player who actually puts the ball in the back of the net.

Â