World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

He isn't. He is a bit of a battering ram who thrives on balls over the top but that's it. If Liverpool hadn't destroyed Benteke with, like Collymore, trying to change his gamez he'd be twice the player Lukaku is. I always felt Benteke had far ore of a rounded game but his career choices were all wrong after leaving us.

Benteke at the Villa, those were the days. Remember the guys dressed as the astronauts for Lynx "Benteke out of this world" awesome!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Benteke at the Villa, those were the days. Remember the guys dressed as the astronauts for Lynx "Benteke out of this world" awesome!

He was simply world class then. Really reminded me of prime Drogba. Unplayable. Could hold play up, come deep, hab a good range of passing,  lightning quick, took free kicks, strong as an ox, scored all sorts of goals. He was the compete striker back then, without a doubt. He was definitely better than Lukaku then who relied on pace and balls over the top. He had awful hold up play and couldn't head a ball then. His fees were bloated as he went to teams from Chelsea. Benteke definitely, had he stayed a season more, would have gone to a club who appreciated him for a higher fee than Liverpool who bizarrely want to change a players style upon signing them. They ruined Benteke, just as they ruined Collymore who was a beast for Forest.

Edited by stewiek2

Just now, stewiek2 said:

He was simply world class then. Really reminded me of prime Drogba. Unplayable. Could hold play up, come deep, hab a god range of passing, took free kicks, strong, scored all sorts of goals. He was definitely better than Lukaku then who relied on pace and balls over the top. He had awful hold up play and couldn't head a ball then. His fees were bloated as he went to teams from Chelsea. Benteke definitely, had he stayed a season more, would have gone to a club who appreciated him for a higher fee than Liverpool who bizarrely want to change a players style upon signing them. They ruined Benteke, just as they ruined Collymore who was a beast for Forest.

At the time I thought Benteke was a better player than Lukaku, but injuries and moving to Liverpool held him back massively. I suspect many thought Lukaku had a perceived higher "potential", but other than a season at Everton and at Inter he's never really hit the heights I think the buying clubs thought he would hit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If Lukaku had have been match fit he would have put at least two of those chances away. Croatia really arent that good. Dont know who they play next but cant see them going much further. 

Quite likely Spain so yeah.

Martinez flopped with that squad, hardly any early 20s in that squad, most are finished at the highest level, the defence was one of the slowest in the squad, hazard as Captain who hardly played a game for Real Madrid in the last cpl of seasons, still can’t get over how he got that job when he wasn’t exactly pulling up trees when in the premier league 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Martinez flopped with that squad, hardly any early 20s in that squad, most are finished at the highest level, the defence was one of the slowest in the squad, hazard as Captain who hardly played a game for Real Madrid in the last cpl of seasons, still can’t get over how he got that job when he wasn’t exactly pulling up trees when in the premier league 

Two words why the flopped..

Roberto Martinez.

Every man and his dog knows he's a busted flush. Like Fraudgate, I can't think of a top flight club that would touch him.

3 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Yeah seen that was in tears in the after match interview 

A must win game where they were out already unless they scored and even in added time continued passing and looking for that 'bit of magic' rather than flood the box and get the ball in there and cause havoc in the final few minutes. Had to win today and didn't bother throwing the kitchen sink at it near the end 

Edited by stewiek2

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

A must win game where they were out already unless they scored and even in added time continued passing and looking for that 'bit of magic' rather than flood the box and get the ball in there and cause havoc in the final few minutes. Had to win today and didn't bother throwing the kitchen sink at it near the end 

I’m just glad we never employed him

• Like 1