World Cup: Matches

Genie

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

I have to agree. For American fans, it totally feels like a huge win to us. But the fact is, we didn’t close the deal in the box and you need to be able to do that. From the very beginning of the match, England seemed sluggish. All that tippy tapping playing from the back and looking for the perfect openings all the time.

I’m a US fan and I feel pretty good, but it doesn’t feel like a huge win, feels like an opportunity lost. For neither team to play their best and for the US to still control large portions of the match and look the more likely to score, I wouldn’t say if they had managed a goal, a win would be underserved.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Well, they'd have won then, so yeah. But they didn't, so they didn't deserve to.  So my point stands.

They didn't have any other clear chances, so one shot against the bar doesn't count as a goal, a win or being more deserving of a win. 

Sometimes the difference between not winning and not losing is really really huge, and this was an example of that. I think what you’re saying is that it was not a fine line, and I do agree with that.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Iran topping the group would be quite something.

I’d be shocked if they did to the USA what they did to Wales. They played very well but extremely cynical - fouling wise. USA are tough and gritty. If they recover from tonight, they put in some shift , i think they’ll win. Be shite to put in a performance like they did tonight and get turned over by Iran. 

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

They didn't. They pressed well, created some openings and had a shitload of corners but they didn't deserve to win. England didn't either. It was a pretty dreadful game tbh. The US definitely didn't deserve to lose. 

They had 2 clear chances, if it wasn’t for the post they’d be walking away with 3 points.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I’m a US fan and I feel pretty good, but it doesn’t feel like a huge win, feels like an opportunity lost. For neither team to play their best and for the US to still control large portions of the match and look the more likely to score, I wouldn’t say if they had managed a goal, a win would be underserved.

Ah, come on.  I back both countries. But the oddsmakers had USA winning at 15%. Our loss chances were something like 60%. I don’t know any American fans who are not pretty damn excited about the draw. It’s England. It’s the greatest football nation on earth. We survived. I’m proud of the Americans today. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 4

Strong USA performance on the whole. Positive, energetic, sound defensively. Some slick passing and a bit of flare doesn't hurt either. 

But we have little end product and it's a problem. We have outplayed both British sides but only have 2 pts. 

We need to beat Iran.

But still undefeated vs England in part due to Southgate's baffling reluctance to just go for it. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I have to agree. For American fans, it totally feels like a huge win to us. But the fact is, we didn’t close the deal in the box and you need to be able to do that. From the very beginning of the match, England seemed sluggish. All that tippy tapping playing from the back and looking for the perfect openings all the time.

Everyone I know in America was very puzzled at the slowest of the substitutions for England. We were expecting to get killed off after halftime.  

It is a great result for the US. Beat Iran and you go through. So it's all in your own hands, which isn't bad going into the final game. From an England point of view, it was abject to say the least. It's not taking anything away from the US but if England had a decent manager and played to our strengths. Had the right players on the pitch and we should be winning these games. imo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, maqroll said:

Strong USA performance on the whole. Positive, energetic, sound defensively. Some slick passing and a bit of flare doesn't hurt either. 

But we have little end product and it's a problem. We have outplayed both British clubs but only have 2 pts. 

We need to beat Iran.

But still undefeated vs England in part due to Southgate's baffling reluctance to just go for it. 

I wouldn't say you outplayed us. Both poor teams, that's what made it a boring game!!

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Could you envisage Southgate motivating anyone? Cos I certainly couldn't. Absolute fraud indeed.

Dunno - Berhalter comes across as a pretty bland individual too. But tactically they sussed England out pretty well and had their homework done on them. Imagine England having the foresight and bravery to give it to John Herdman. He’d do an unreal job but the FA wouldn’t dream of it because the media would slaughter them if they gave it to him. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine that performing against brazil spain or France?

Hell even saudi arabia would beat us playing that poorly. Massive improvement for wales. They will be up for it

It's the worst possible result for Wales; now England have to actually play in that match and Wales need to not only win but win by a huge margin. Any other result would have been better, this pretty much dooms them. 

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Shaw, Maguire and Kane have done ok. Bellingham, Rice, Mount and Saka have been particularly poor. 

I wouldn't say that Rice was poor per se...he was simply marked out of the match. The US didn't run a high press; whenever England had the ball in back, they simply cut off the passing channels to Rice, let England come up the wings, then tried to run England into cul-de-sacs. It was clear that the US didn't want to let him have the ball and didn't want him dictating things from midfield.

• Like 1