Euro 2028 Grounds

HalfTimePost

Villa Park shortlisted to be part of the UK&I Bid for UEFA Euros 2028.

14 Stadiums make the list, which will be cut to 10 in April. As the only Midlands Stadium chosen, it's pretty impossible to imagine the entire region is left out and that we'd almost certainly make the Top 10.

As Leicester, Wolves, West Brom etc are all missing there's no competition like there is in Manchester (Old Trafford, Etihad), Up North (St James', Stadium of Light) or in London (Spurs, West Ham & Wembley), we should be a definite selection.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

This has to help the case for Government investment in transport to the area. Previous tournaments have resulted in Free Stadiums for Man City & West Ham. Transport investment for the surrounding area & VP must be further down the road to being agreed with this news.

Villa Live on Euro Gamedays whether the stadium is being used that day or not will be such a boon for the Club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Do you mean 14 stadiums or is it 17?

Leicester would have been a good second ground for the midlands it is going up to 40,000. So at best 1 stadium for a population of over 10 million people who live in both west and east midlands, and London will probably get at least 2. Same old.

14, updated

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Do you mean 14 stadiums or is it 17?

Leicester would have been a good second ground for the midlands it is going up to 40,000. So at best 1 stadium for a population of over 10 million people who live in both west and east midlands, and London will probably get at least 2. Same old.

I think it has to be over 50,000 for tournaments?  Though the NI stadium would have trouble.  I find it hard to see the Old Trafford renovation being done in time too.

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it has to be over 50,000 for tournaments?  Though the NI stadium would have trouble.  I find it hard to see the Old Trafford renovation being done in time too.

2024 had an requirement for at least 10 stadiums, of which 3 had to be over 50,000 (preferable one over 60,000), 3 at 40,000, and 4 at 30,000 or greater.

Unless they have changed the rules again.

No host city for the whole of Yorkshire and East Midlands, seems a yawning gap on the map.  Euro 96 had Elland Road, the City Ground and Hillsborough.  Though at present none of those grounds would be good enough.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Villa Park will definitely make the shortlist, especially as it is smack bang in the middle of the country and easily accessible by road and rail. The Commonwealth games also apparently sold Birmingham really well to foreign audiences, who were impressed with the City and were surprised as they thought that it would still be very industrial. So I think that as a fairly big venue and one that is convenient it will make the cut. Hopefully by then they have much better train services to Witton/Aston

• Like 1

I think one in Scotland, one in Ireland, one in Northern Ireland and one in Wales is very likely to happen - Wembley will be an obvious definite. Looking at the list of 14, you'd think one of the North East stadiums will go, so the stadium of light, one of the two Dublin stadiums will go, so the Dublin Arena, and then maybe one of the Manchester stadiums or the London stadium maybe?

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think one in Scotland, one in Ireland, one in Northern Ireland and one in Wales is very likely to happen - Wembley will be an obvious definite. Looking at the list of 14, you'd think one of the North East stadiums will go, so the stadium of light, one of the two Dublin stadiums will go, so the Dublin Arena, and then maybe one of the Manchester stadiums or the London stadium maybe?

A lot of talk Dublin will get 2. UEFA really like the AVIVA Stadium as its quite modern it has a lot of the corporate stuff they want. 

I would reject Croke Park as the pitch is probably too big and the surface is not for football but its also a huge stadium I think the 2nd biggest on the list plus the symbolism of using it for an Ireland/UK bid might be too strong for some to avoid

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have they even got a hope of winning? I thought the amount of games played at Wembley last Euros would be as good as it got for a while. 

Any natural resource rich European Country’s with no large stadiums making a bid?

Us or Turkey by the look of it, Spain and Portugal going for the WC instead and there was a south east Europe joint bid but Greece are rumoured to be going for the WC too

Someone at UEFA or FIFA had a massive hard on for Turkey a few years back but I can't remember who it was and if they're still there, probably Platini, they should have done 2020 but went for the Olympics instead

Also there was rumoured to be a gentleman's agreement with Germany that we wouldn't bid for 2024 and would put our weight behind their bid if they returned the favour in 2028

So it'll be surprising if we don't win it, UEFA obviously love their days out at the wembley cash cow too

• Like 2

Â