Euro 2028 Grounds

HalfTimePost

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

A lot of talk Dublin will get 2. UEFA really like the AVIVA Stadium as its quite modern it has a lot of the corporate stuff they want. 

I would reject Croke Park as the pitch is probably too big and the surface is not for football but its also a huge stadium I think the 2nd biggest on the list plus the symbolism of using it for an Ireland/UK bid might be too strong for some to avoid

I can't see any place other than London having more than 1 venue if it is going to be spread around 5 countries (if you count North Ire as a country)

Looking back to '96 again it shows just how long ago it was that Hillsborough was still considered one of the best stadiums in England. Today it just looks like an ancient monument and a millstone  around the club. It is laughable to even consider it to be ready for international football.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't see any place other than London having more than 1 venue if it is going to be spread around 5 countries (if you count North Ire as a country)

Looking back to '96 again it shows just how long ago it was that Hillsborough was still considered one of the best stadiums in England. Today it just looks like an ancient monument and a millstone  around the club. It is laughable to even consider it to be ready for international football.

You look at what we're doing with the North stand (or at least what I think we're trying to do...) where the lower main concourse is triple height and then surrounded by curtain walling giving it loads of space and natural light it's pretty much the exact opposite of what the away end at Hillsborough is

Architecture has moved on let alone football, its horribly outdated and when I was there opening day of the season in our first year back down there so it was August and hot and stuffy on the concourse it just wasn't  a pleasant place to be

15 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I dont think there is any chance Casement Park will be built by 2028

I think they will pair up the stadiums. 2 in London, 2 in Ireland, 2 in the north so Scotland and one of Newcastle/Sunderland, probably 2 in Manchester then 2 from us, Everton and Millenium Stadium (Everton could also be put in with the Manchester clubs)

Casement Park, a London stadium probably the West Ham stadium, Stadium of Light and us/Everton will miss out I think

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think there is any chance Casement Park will be built by 2028

Assuming the bid wins, for political reasons there would have to be matches in northern ireland. I don't think it's possible to expand Windsor park to the required standard so that only really leaves casement as a  option. The issue with GAA stadiums is that they are not able to handle worldwide media and press, as well as the pitch size and widespread terracing issues. 

On 16/11/2022 at 18:54, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have they even got a hope of winning? I thought the amount of games played at Wembley last Euros would be as good as it got for a while. 

Any natural resource rich European Country’s with no large stadiums making a bid?

Despite all the issues regarding the final Uefa loves using Wembley for it's corporate jollies, it has another CL final next season.

Orginally it was going to be UK bid for world cup 2030 but Spain/Portugal is ahead in Uefa thoughts so this is a consolation prize although I personally prefer euros to World cups these days albeit would be better quality at 16 teams but can't have anything.

Would imagine VP would host 3 group games and one last 16 tie as assume they'll want a QF in each country.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep, Hillsborough has vast stands but I've always found it overrated regardless of the obvious stigma around it (which in fairness could've happened at so many other grounds in 80s given the states they're in).

Much prefer going to Bramall Lane as an away fan, closer to City centre/train station and has a real on the pitch feel from behind the goal in away end. That hosted SF at Women's euros and recent England under 21 game so it's above Hillsborough in international pecking order now.

Half surprised Milton Keynes hasn't attempted to put forward their stadium. I always remember from the failed 2018 world cup bid FA were going to use that venue and one in Plymouth as options and think that was 12 venues on offer.

Really should be something on the South coast, Southampton could get their ground up to 40k pretty easily so would just use Wembley as the London venue and have one in that part of the UK.

Must be political reasons but Ibrox or Celtic Park are far better stadiums than Hampden as well.

Manchester shouldn't have 2 venues if they are going for Everton's stadium as well. That would result in 3 locations in the North West compared to 1 for the entire Midlands and South outside of London.

19 hours ago, villa89 said:

Assuming the bid wins, for political reasons there would have to be matches in northern ireland. I don't think it's possible to expand Windsor park to the required standard so that only really leaves casement as a  option. The issue with GAA stadiums is that they are not able to handle worldwide media and press, as well as the pitch size and widespread terracing issues. 

I agree but I think I read Casement Park wont start work until 2024 so doubt will be ready

They can use North Dublin as the Northern Ireland stadium 😉

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really should be something on the South coast.

I get whee you're coming from but London is near enough to the South coast - Brighton is about the same distance from London as Nottingham is from Villa Park. If Villa Park were selected, no one would say that Nottingham should have something because the region isn't covered.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get whee you're coming from but London is near enough to the South coast - Brighton is about the same distance from London as Nottingham is from Villa Park. If Villa Park were selected, no one would say that Nottingham should have something because the region isn't covered.

I'm actually surprised Leicester didn't make a bid as think they've signed off for KP to go up to 40k now and it's a venue known all around the world after their title win.

Of course the likes of Brighton, Forest, Southampton would all probably be bidding if it was just England event but guess they're the ones to lose out with at least one venue from Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Â