Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Presumably there will be another version that springs up in its place. 

Presumably if it goes bust someone can buy it from liquidators or whatever they have in Murica. 

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Twitter doesn't have a share price anymore. You'll only find out what its worth when he sells it (or some of it) or it implodes because he won't pay the bills

I'd think a partial sell off of shares is highly unlikely to be succesful with Musk still at the helm so its sell or kill

You’re not wrong but it is possible to get an idea of Twitter’s current worth, as this thread suggests:

Edited by choffer
Clarity
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Twitter has never made money. Not sure who would want it.

It probably could make money if you bought it for very little and didn't need to service debt. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That linked article on platformer makes for depressing reading. Other than VT, Twitter is the only social platform I regularly use. I can’t see it surviving in anything like the current form. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It probably could make money if you bought it for very little and didn't need to service debt. 

I’m not sure it would. Part of the problem is regulation and content moderation - a company with that many users would quickly find itself fined out of existence if it didn’t have a team that was at least mostly on top of that stuff. Which means you need to have quite a lot of income to cover the daily running costs, at least so far as I can see.

8 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’m not sure it would. Part of the problem is regulation and content moderation - a company with that many users would quickly find itself fined out of existence if it didn’t have a team that was at least mostly on top of that stuff. Which means you need to have quite a lot of income to cover the daily running costs, at least so far as I can see.

Yep, this

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So mass Social Media platforms as we know them will eventually cease to exist because they're impossible to maintain and make profit? 

I'm not convinced on that. 

Hi-5, Bebo, Friends Reunited, Myspace, Facebook. I think there's enough history to establish a pattern here. New growth, attain ubiquity (in some cases), get overtaken, slide into obscurity. The only people who make money out of Social Media are the people who sell their idea while they're on the up.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So mass Social Media platforms as we know them will eventually cease to exist because they're impossible to maintain and make profit? 

I'm not convinced on that. 

Facebook has been wildly profitable for a long time. It’s a much better market for ads than Twitter because it has far more info on each user and hosts many more communities, whereas Twitter is mostly just a place for people to argue with each other. I imagine Instagram is profitable too (within Facebook) for the same reason.

So I guess it’s largely down to the type of social media. Advertisers pay more money for more targeted traffic.

It’s been an interesting week. 

Not only have techbros like Musk and Zuckerberg been taking a pounding but Trumps MAGA crowd, Putin’s military and the Crypto community have all had a mare. 

A Venn diagram would probably show a certain level of overlap amongst those groups as well. 

Interesting times. 

• Like 1

I use twitter for news generally, whether that is world, football, movies whatever but the last couple of days have been something else.

I think its gone past dumpster fire to baby diarrhoea on the  white sofa - Im not sure it will ever come back....

Twitter doesn't work as a business. It's the kind of thing that might work as a nationalised institution, but for a profit making business, nope. Nobody is going to pay to use or access it, despite its serving a quite useful niche as an instant news source and a way to have immediate short form thoughts and comments from verified people of all kinds, and it doesn't have enough data/presence to be an advertising powerhouse when Facebook and Google has eaten that market whole.

It says a fair bit about Musk that his attempt to monetise it is in making one of the things that make it useful, the verification of users, something you pay for.

I wonder if Twitter could have gone down the Wikipedia route of asking for donations, maybe getting funding from some big foundations, etc. It sits more in that space IMO than in the ad-fuelled FB / Insta type market.

Too late now, anyway, surely. Musk has ruined it.

Â