Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, RichW said:

Guess none of us will know the finer details but the wording of The Athletic article about sitting down with the owners in the summer and prolonging his terms further would indicate to me at least both the club and Emery have agreed for the option of the extra year to be triggered and that in summer he will sign a new contract with higher pay, bigger release clause and maybe additional years? 

The fact its news that his extended to 2027 even though he was already tied to 2027  would tell me that the final year was definitely an option. I guess the club will wait till the summer when his signed his new contract before it's officially announced from the club as they've not mentioned anything (yet).  

I'd be really surprised if this was the case. It would be a huge boost to everyone to announce it ASAP, even if it was with caveats. 

Express and Star confirming it was an extra year option triggered rather than a new contract. 

Aston Villa boosted by Unai Emery contract extension
Unai Emery has demonstrated his commitment to Villa by agreeing to extend his contract to 2027.

This is more about getting ahead of the speculation about other teams pursuing him, not allowing distractions and just generally having the good vibes flowing with so many extremely important games coming in the next month.

For once, this is great PR from the club.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I genuinely think that in the future there will be papers/ studies done on the job Unai has done/ is doing/ will do at Villa

Sports tacticians, psychologists, physios and sports finance experts will all be looking at this as a gold standard model of approach going forward such is the turnaround and success I suspect he may bring us

Tbh it's like watching a miracle unfold what hes done with that team. It appears that the squad Smith had assembled was a perfect fit for what Emery wanted to do. I'm sure Emery had looked at our players before he took the job and realised the potential they had. 

The crazy part of it is that the media have missed this miracle unfolding right before its very eyes, only SAF has pointed out how good we was after we had lost to Newcastle at the start of the season.

We are going to win the league with Emery or come very very close, who would bet against us? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Tbh it's like watching a miracle unfold what hes done with that team. It appears that the squad Smith had assembled was a perfect fit for what Emery wanted to do. I'm sure Emery had looked at our players before he took the job and realised the potential they had. 

The crazy part of it is that the media have missed this miracle unfolding right before its very eyes, only SAF has pointed out how good we was after we had lost to Newcastle at the start of the season.

We are going to win the league with Emery or come very very close, who would bet against us? 

He doesn't do close, he's a winner. Close won't be good enough for him. Which is all good news for us, the players believe they can (even though they'll never say it in interviews). They believe what they are now capable of, Bailey and Watkins are prime examples. 

I wasn't particularly worried about losing him just yet, but nice to see it confirmed. Bayern, Liverpool and Man U all looking for new managers. Maybe Barca and Chelsea added to that,

You never know, so good to see the fire put out before it had chance to smoke.

I also really like that we bought a big stake in Real Union.

There aren't many ways (or examples of) clubs and owners being able to show their support for their guy. Supporting his private venture that has huge sentimental links to Unai, really puts a stake in the ground that he's our man and hopefully ties him to us a little bit longer

"If you love someone, set them free"

Balls to that, lock him up until he signs a lifetime contract.

If he really loves us he'll sign it and he'll never leave...

spacer.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

I also really like that we bought a big stake in Real Union.

There aren't many ways (or examples of) clubs and owners being able to show their support for their guy. Supporting his private venture that has huge sentimental links to Unai, really puts a stake in the ground that he's our man and hopefully ties him to us a little bit longer

And his son is in our academy too.

Great news

Timing is a bit odd - I wonder if:

a) another club made an approach and this was to stave off that
b) a boost for the squad going into the final games
c) about convincing a new signing that he's committed
d) there is a finer detail clause (such a a release clause, or option) which has been triggered

In any case - great to hear

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Let’s build a statue of Unai, that also seats 60,000 people, you can sit within this hollowed out head and watch out of his eyes/nostrils 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Â