Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over a year and a half and 73 competitive games into his Villa tenure and his approval rating has still probably never dropped below 95%. Incredible.

At this point in their tenures, Slippy, Di Matteo, Sherwood, Garde and McLeish had already been sacked, Smith and Lambert had had a couple of really rough spells and Bruce was already fairly widely disliked.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

On 06/04/2024 at 09:59, TRO said:

I take your point and it's a fair one.... but how long do we go, before we stop looking back, to where we have come from......something had to change for a club like ours, and fortunately it did.

On the point of a balanced comment after games, personally i was waxing lyrical, about our play after the Man City at Home and the Arsenal games.......but then folk could say, we can see it for ourselves, so it's a slightly different narrative from facts to suggestions.

I would think Unai himself spends more tangible time on how to get better, than what we have already done.....We are all grateful, for what has been achieved, and surprised with the pace of it.....but it's kind of a bit basic to be stating the obvious.

Do I think we are a nailed on 4th placed team?, no I don't, I think we have to improve for that.....Do I think injuries have affected that comment? yes I do.....but that opens another debate of squad size and balance.

Personally, I don't see a fan making constructive observations, of how we can improve, as negative.....I see that as positive. However, I do see moaning through a game as negative, yes.....or perhaps more aptly a noisy vessel who needs to keep their frustration to themselves, and not be heard on the field of play.

Eternal optimism is not annoying, we all have it, else we wouldn't be fans for all the years we are.....and may I say, an ability to spot shortfalls in our play is not pessimism either......I would be staggered if Unai, didn't spend time with his coaches trying to improve, some of the things, we talk about on here.....and he is not a pessimist, he's an optimist.......Let's be clear here, optimists, see areas for improvement and set about working on improving.......Drivers like Unai, do that. Managers who see a win and sit on their hands, or dine out on it, are not drivers.

Unai, is the only person who can improve us....we in contrast, just talk about the possibilities as a past time. If we just come out waxing lyrical all the time, what do we learn? what do we seek out?

I also think it's human nature, to say more, when there is more to say, and after defeats, there usually is.......where as a win, it's business as usual.....now that is testament to how far we have come, alright.

I guess it's a bit like an accident on the road, everyone slows down to have a look, any other time, nobody takes notice of the traffic...because that's the norm.

We have landed in a fortunate place, where, we expect to win most of the time and Unai, has conditioned that in to us, when we lose, there is an appetite with some to discuss why....is that so bad?

I follow Unai's mantra.....always look to improve. ...so why not discuss it, like he does with his coaches.

UTV.

I doff my cap to that comment. Well put, Brother!!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2024 at 18:30, WHY said:

I’m glad he mentioned the 3 crosses, criminal defending. Love the bloke but no idea why Zaniolo was his first sub, he also should have rolled the dice and threw on subs when we scored the 3rd, instead they sat back down. 

Maybe because Zaniolo saved us against Sheffield United when coming on and then saved us again when coming on against West Ham. That may well have been the reason for bringing him on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Unai at the press conference looking like he's been watching Lille videos for 24 hrs straight. 

Only 24 hours? He usually does 48 hours. Unai out!

• Like 1

On 10/04/2024 at 13:02, Mantis said:

Over a year and a half and 73 competitive games into his Villa tenure and his approval rating has still probably never dropped below 95%. Incredible.

At this point in their tenures, Slippy, Di Matteo, Sherwood, Garde and McLeish had already been sacked, Smith and Lambert had had a couple of really rough spells and Bruce was already fairly widely disliked.

I never disliked, any of them.....sadly, they just wasn't good enough....and Unai has illustrated the distinction.

I don't like to get personal, with managers.....I haven't got to like them, just rate and respect them....fortunately, I do like Unai, but the respect, is just so obvious.

Unai, is in a different class, to that list......and a respectful guy to boot....I think his humility, is a huge plus, and a significant reason why he is so good at his job.

He Oozes Elite.

• Like 1

Was sat in the middle of the Trinity last night so had a clear view of Unai and noticed that when we were 1-0 up in the first half and having a few chances (but not converting them) he just looked really pissed off and agitated, despite the crowd at the time being in good spirits. You really get the sense that he's genuinely not happy unless we're about 4 or 5 goals up.

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Was sat in the middle of the Trinity last night so had a clear view of Unai and noticed that when we were 1-0 up in the first half and having a few chances (but not converting them) he just looked really pissed off and agitated, despite the crowd at the time being in good spirits. You really get the sense that he's genuinely not happy unless we're about 4 or 5 goals up.

Probably recognized the big gaps in our shape and knew we needed at least 2, but probably 3 or 4 to make sure we were comfortable.

On 12/04/2024 at 20:34, Mantis said:

I expect Unai will have had a dozen or so scenarios he'd planned for, including the dream of rotating players at 4-0 up, helping today's game and in turn, the return leg. Emery would be frustrated that every unconverted opportunity would likely see his top choice scenarios disappearing.

Today a big test for Unai and how much determination he can instil in this group of players. A draw would be a huge result and I think he'll be hoping for points one way or the other. Need to play it very smart.

I would start with Diaby and Rogers and try to hit Arsenal's backline for pace on the counter. It's not very Unai, but IMO it's our best chance today.

No Dougie

No Kamara

No Ramsey

No Mings

No Buendia

No problem. Double over Arsenal without our first choice midfield. The guy is simply incredible. A complete mastermind. 

How **** ing  lucky we are.

• Like 2

Unai pulling off that all timer masterclass against Arsenal, who's fan love to obsess and post complete and utter waffle about him, is the most perfect result we've had for a while. 

Genuinely so good. It was like pre Christmas Villa all over again. Tactical genius. 

• Like 3

Â