Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just now, duke313 said:

Diaby was signed to play that role though, cutting in from the right with his left.  Are you suggesting we've wasted £50m?

I’m thinking that Unai thought he would be better at this second striker role than he is. 

He has never played as much with his back to the opposition like this and is clearly uncomfortable with it. All of his highlights are him turned forward running at the opponent. 

So a rare case of talent misidentification with Diaby and persisting on this second striker role is causing a downstream problem in the build up. Teams are begging for us to play it Diaby on the high press, knowing they will win that duel more often than not. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So I've just heard a villa fan on radio wm say he's getting bored and annoyed by Emery as he doesn't show "Passion"

I nearly smashed my phone in anger.

The boo boys have started. Can you believe it.

IQ less than their shoe size.

• Like 2

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

So I've just heard a villa fan on radio wm say he's getting bored and annoyed by Emery as he doesn't show "Passion"

j ve just seen some fans think his not good enough  one said i came up from brentford il watch them from now one pathetic comments

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I can believe it, there’s plenty of idiots about, some in here. That’s the modern world for you. 

• Like 2

I think it just shows the goldfish-esque memory a lot of fans have and why, under worst owners, managers have been sacked too early.

A lot of this form/results was, while not easy to spot, not a surprise when Kamara was out...then Pau has been injured...then Bailey isn't fit enough to start.

From about the first away match at Legia on, we all had figured out that while our perfectly fit Starting XI or twelve was strong enough for UCL, it quickly fell apart from positions 12-17.

Injuries happen to all clubs and while that shouldn't be an excuse for everything, losing both Mings and Pau is a big blow. Losing Buendia for the season is a big blow. JJ with only 5 starts. Moreno not up to fitness truly. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Devils advocate here.  We can be so slow and boring at times. Its a fact. And it is a deliberate ploy. Wait and wait and wait for the chance to use a break the lines pass through the middle. Which is fine if you have a player who is probably as good as any in World football at that skill . But Pau is out. We are still playing slow. But we arent finding the passes we do when Pau is playing. So our elite way of moving the ball forward is gone. And it leaves us looking like we dont have a clue how to break the oppo down. When we dont have that control then it allows the oppo to get at us more and more and attack the flanks where we are constantly left 2 on 1. 

I would say that i like his tactic when Pau is playing but when he isnt it doesnt work. 

I am not questioning Emery,  just pointing out something that is very clear. 

• Like 2

I know a lot of Arsenal fans and I’m getting messages on the lines of told you so re Emery. Bright hopeful start and then diminishing returns. Don’t buy that shit and not sure that’s even true of his time at Arsenal or anywhere else  

I will never not support Emery fyi and if we lost to Shef Utd I’m going to be pretty gutted once Emery out gets going, which it will because our fan base can be really insufferable. 

• Like 2

Everybody is still backing Unai , but he was schooled yesterday by Eddie Howe who showed how to set up a team against certain opposition on the day. It was a masterclass in Management and a trait we hope Unai has in his locker. Howe just pressed our back line got the ball out wide and let his big guys cause havoc from set pieces. We had a bad day but you have to own that bad day and put a bit of grit into your players to stand up now and again. We have the lumps coming up so expect more of the same.

Looking at Twitter I honestly despair at our fanbase. Ive seen someone say that top 8 and winning a cup would be “not bad”.

We haven’t won a cup in over two decades. Before Emery took over we were something like 16th? The fact we are even discussing anything other than mid table or relegation is all because of him. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Everybody is still backing Unai , but he was schooled yesterday by Eddie Howe who showed how to set up a team against certain opposition on the day. It was a masterclass in Management and a trait we hope Unai has in his locker. Howe just pressed our back line got the ball out wide and let his big guys cause havoc from set pieces. We had a bad day but you have to own that bad day and put a bit of grit into your players to stand up now and again. We have the lumps coming up so expect more of the same.

Er have you not watched us over the last 15 months?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Looking at Twitter I honestly despair at our fanbase. Ive seen someone say that top 8 and winning a cup would be “not bad”.

We haven’t won a cup in over two decades. Before Emery took over we were something like 16th? The fact we are even discussing anything other than mid table or relegation is all because of him. 

tbh, ofc we would always want CL football this year if we could get it, and im sure there will be ups and downs this year, but to be brutally honest, once the season is over and the dust has settled, i would be very happy if we got Europa League.

I think, considering where we are, the minimum we should expect of ourselves right now is Europa League, but it would also be a good finish regardless, especially considering where we were, when Emery took over.

Im sure there would be some disappointment if we didnt manage CL this year, due to how the first half of the season went, but eh......in reality, CL league is wildest dreams stuff, Europa league would be a very good season, weirdly i would be disappointed by anything less than that, but thats only because of how the first half of the season went, if you had offered me Europa league at the start of the season, i would have been extremely happy with that.

i guess expectations adjust based on current form, and we performed way, way beyond expectations in the first half of the season tbh.

• Like 2

Â