Unai Emery

PeterSw

Yup. I have probably never been as happy to be wrong. I believed there could be some issues with the quality of our players as well as having Gerrard as a manager. I was wrong about the players, and Emery seems to be able to get the guys to understand what he wants, and he did it so much faster than I could have ever hoped. The turn around has been brilliant, and this is probably the most positive I've felt about our future since I started supporting Villa. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

for the nerds (like me).

image.thumb.png.6ef9f0fb31c7b72317e7ef83e0133934.png

I love a good spreadsheet. Are you a gambling man ?

Unai is one game off a whole seasons worth of games at 2.00 ppg with a squad that got promoted 5 seasons ago. Pretty incredible stuff. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 13/11/2023 at 15:35, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

It's great that we get a mention, but I don't think he gets it. Plus: He has to put Plop in every conversation, doesn't he?! 

I'm going to get on my soapbox here so apologies in advance: On the Pep comparison, let's look at the evidence: bloke gets a blank cheque each season and operates at a club that has (allegedly) ridden roughshod over FFP rules many times over. People act like he got them out of division two all those years ago and didn't walk into a club that is backed by a f**cking petro-state. It does my head in that he gets the plaudits that he does: he is clearly a v cultured coach and man but, let's face it: the man has been handed the f**king buffet cart multiple times during his career and pundits are creaming themselves that he's handing out napkins. 

On Unai: a coach much maligned by some after his time at Arsenal was given a rump of a team that had managed to stay in the PL fairly recently. Sprinkle in some newer players who were underachieving/never managed to bed in and who had been badly coached under Slippy Stevie. He had less money to spend; expectant fans and owners; the list goes on. Look at what he has done here! 

Despite our place in the table, I still don't think the media appreciates what he has done here. Fine, in isolation they'll say we're doing well, but our absence from this part of the league for so long means we won't be taken seriously. I hope Unai can use this to our advantage. 

I would say let it slide, for me the longer he stays under the radar, the better it is for all of us. Plus he doesn’t give off the vibe, that he courts publicity - just a guy who is comfortable with his lot.👍🏻

• Like 2

I just adore how pure his love of the game is. That smile he has as he's walking down the touchline to the tunnel at the end of the first half :)

Have to savour every moment of this. Unai is a special, special manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I love that little wry smile he often does when someone has just pulled the trigger but the goal hasn't yet been scored and you can tell he's thinking "yep, this is going in".

Clipboard01.jpg

"Wait for it..... Wait.... Okay shout now!"

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

What did I tell you all about this man's thread dropping out of the first page!?

Heads will roll for this!

It keeps on happening, and it's a real indicator of his success.

I mean, there just isn't that much to discuss about him a lot of the time now. We all agree he's world class and that he's doing a great job.

On 15/11/2023 at 21:42, beasley14 said:

Such a quirky character but in a great way.  You can tell by his reactions and body language how much he is living the detail. 

He comes across as an insanely intelligent professor: sort of weird in how he does ‘normal’ things, but utterly devoted to his discipline and craft. I adore him. 

While he celebrates the goals, you can see in the build up that he’s obsessed with the positioning of the players behind the line of attack: just making sure everything is set up right in case of a counter. 

He sees the game fundamentally differently to the rest of us (I suppose he should as a work class manager, but still!): I think he sees space on the pitch and arranges his plans to create space. The players he values are those who create those spaces: McGinn, Bailey at his best, even Cash. 

I'm too young to remember Ron Saunders at the club, I was a baby, but has there ever been a manager of the club who is so universally beloved by the fanbase?

For as long as I can remember I don't think we've ever been so united in our faith in the manager.

I think we were all very happy with Atkinson, Little, and Gregory, but from memory it was nothing like this.

Edited by Jonesy7211

Â