Unai Emery

PeterSw

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s weird that the hype isn’t as high as it arguably should be. When we were finally doing alright under MON and getting 6th it felt accepted that Villa were a force. I wonder how long until that same feeling is back and we aren’t just waiting for the wheels to fall off?

If we are in and around CL spots at Christmas, the hype will go into overdrive don't you worry. 

Part of it is down to the fact that Emery took over mid season last year. People just haven't cottoned on to how good his record has been. If you stretch his record over a season (had he started in August last year) and we'd have finished 3rd, people would be all over us. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely foresee a situation  - probably this season - whereby Ten Hag or Poch get sacked and there will be a massively vocal outpouring of "Just go get Emery" from that teams fans.

To which we will laugh as we continue to quietly build a legacy defining juggernaut.

The only one I would worry about is potentially Real Madrid coming in for him (though BHA fans also have this fear about Di Zerbi apparently) but for some reason (probably my Claret and Blue lenses) I think Emery is honourable and stubborn enough to want to finish what he started - and continues to build - here at Villa rather than jump to another project.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

If I was female I would offer to have his babies, that is how much I love this man already

Slightly related but a former girlfriend spoke about him in a "tell all" to the papers whilst he was at Arsenal, which ended up being basically that he was trying hard to learn English, he was really nice and polite and kind to her on their dates. Just basically a good bloke and nothing bad to say on him other than the fact he pronounces evening with a B.

Really great to have one of the good guys in charge of the club with all the constant unsavoury mess you hear about at the moment with players and managers. 

• Like 1

Villa to Emery at the moment is the perfect partner. They are financially independent , good company , great in bed, fantastic cook and will make you a cup of tea without you asking. They even let all your best mates come round whenever you want. 

Why would you ever give that up for someone else with bigger ti*s or bigger c**k ? 

Some very complimentary things said about the gaffer and the club here, thought this was good analysis to be fair. 

Nice to hear Robbie Earle just calmly mentioning things about our club he got from research prior to the match, half the time I wonder if the co commentator for a Villa game was aware of what game they were at prior to the kick off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

If I was female I would offer to have his babies, that is how much I love this man already

This modern world is accomodating..............................

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

It’s weird that the hype isn’t as high as it arguably should be. When we were finally doing alright under MON and getting 6th it felt accepted that Villa were a force. I wonder how long until that same feeling is back and we aren’t just waiting for the wheels to fall off?

Personally I think you actually have to deliver on it over a full season before people take notice.

I feel like Arsenal weren’t really taken properly seriously as title contenders last season (even when they were ahead with 10 games to go) because most people assumed City would just reel them in. Showing promise is fine but actually winning it is something else.

Finishing seventh one season just isn’t that much of an achievement really. Wolves did it twice in a row a few seasons back, and nobody cared.

If we can break the top six this year people will start paying attention IMO, and talk of us the way they talk about Brighton now. But I think you need to make the CL places a couple of years in a row to cement opinions that you’re a genuinely big club - and even then it can fade quickly if you do a Leicester etc.

Edited by Panto_Villan

4 hours ago, skarroki said:

Slightly related but a former girlfriend spoke about him in a "tell all" to the papers whilst he was at Arsenal, which ended up being basically that he was trying hard to learn English, he was really nice and polite and kind to her on their dates. Just basically a good bloke and nothing bad to say on him other than the fact he pronounces evening with a B.

Really great to have one of the good guys in charge of the club with all the constant unsavoury mess you hear about at the moment with players and managers. 

Playaaaa

NINTCHDBPICT000573226700-e1586624368609.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 12:23, TheMelvillan said:

I definitely foresee a situation  - probably this season - whereby Ten Hag or Poch get sacked and there will be a massively vocal outpouring of "Just go get Emery" from that teams fans.

To which we will laugh as we continue to quietly build a legacy defining juggernaut.

The only one I would worry about is potentially Real Madrid coming in for him (though BHA fans also have this fear about Di Zerbi apparently) but for some reason (probably my Claret and Blue lenses) I think Emery is honourable and stubborn enough to want to finish what he started - and continues to build - here at Villa rather than jump to another project.

A basque man in charge of Real Madrid is a hard sell.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, juteface said:

A basque man in charge of Real Madrid is a hard sell.

Emery's actually spoken about it though.

“I have been fortunate to be in three clubs in Spain behind the highest level: Valencia, Sevilla and Villarreal. From that gratitude, then the next step in Spain would be to train Atlético, Madrid and Barça… Breaking that barrier is very difficult."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-unai-emery-barcelona-26800765.amp

On 04/10/2023 at 16:16, skarroki said:

Some very complimentary things said about the gaffer and the club here, thought this was good analysis to be fair. 

Nice to hear Robbie Earle just calmly mentioning things about our club he got from research prior to the match, half the time I wonder if the co commentator for a Villa game was aware of what game they were at prior to the kick off. 

The 2 Robbies and Simon Jordan seem to be the only people I have heard in the media who actually have a clue about whats happening at Villa. Not just know but with Gerrard and Smith too

• Like 3

Interesting to see what Emery might do against Wolves. Huge game, followed by a rest (usually we fail against Wolves and we usually fail before breaks). Winning against Wolves will be great mentally and also will benefit our league position for sure. With the break hopefully more players are ready, so we can rotate a bit more.

15 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Interesting as that suggests he does want to try himself at the top of the Spanish game.

Can't blame him really.

Suggests his next step after us will be to one of them. 

Can we persuade him to stay a year or two longer than his contract? Can we resist his temptation to leave for one of them?

More importantly, can the club get an understudy in to learn from him, how he works, what he does,  and become the next Emery to take over when he eventually does leave (after having won us the champions league)?

This kind of future/ contingency planning doesn't seem to happen in football, is there a known fact that it doesn't work?

Edited by MrBlack
Typos were not friendly

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Interesting as that suggests he does want to try himself at the top of the Spanish game.

Can't blame him really.

Suggests his next step after us will be to one of them. 

Can we persuade him to stay a year or two longer than his contract? Can we resist his temptation to leave for one of them?

More importantly, can the club get an understudy in to learn from him, how he works, what he dies,  and become the next Emery to take over when he eventually does leave (after having won us the champions league)?

This kind of future/ contingency planning doesn't seem to happen in football, is there a known fact that it doesn't work?

Who knows. They could learn as much as they want from him but having that natural drive is something else.

Â