Unai Emery

PeterSw

32 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not if it doesn't lead to anything or you can build from it.

Aim of elite sport is winning trophies.

We had 3 consecutive 6th place finishes under MON but I don't see it as an achievement because ultimately we didn't win anything and it didn't lead to anything.

Next step is where the real achievement lies and I think Emery will do it. He has won everywhere he's been.

It's a disgrace we've not won a trophy since 96 and it's time to change that.

How very dare you!

cup of traditions.jpeg

• Like 2

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The players absolutely love and respect him! Brilliant!

It's clear that he's also an outstanding man manager.

Do players need to look him in the eye?

• Haha 3

I know its been said before and I've had a few shandys this evening, but what Unai has done so far is blooming marvelous.

To take us from the position we were in to one game away from Europe is unthinkable. I was hoping for top 10 as I think most Villa fans were, I would have been happy with that. I know its only the Conference whatever but its Europe. From Chelsea should be wiping the floor with us to wiping the floor with them. 

Cheers Unai

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Love to see it. Bailey's a likeable guy as well.

On 23/05/2023 at 19:54, Pinebro said:

Not if it doesn't lead to anything or you can build from it.

Aim of elite sport is winning trophies.

We had 3 consecutive 6th place finishes under MON but I don't see it as an achievement because ultimately we didn't win anything and it didn't lead to anything.

Next step is where the real achievement lies and I think Emery will do it. He has won everywhere he's been.

It's a disgrace we've not won a trophy since 96 and it's time to change that.

I agree, but we are talking in 2 different contexts.

Every trophy win, has to start somewhere........I am talking about the build up, you are talking about the outcome......to me, Europe or not, we have made huge strides in the way we play and results, that's an achievement in itself to me....but I understand your point.

as the old saying goes...."you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves".......in a similar sentiment, get the process, tactics, mentality, desire and workrate right on top of the talent....and the trophies will follow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

wow....what a testiment to his work.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

wow....what a testiment to his work.

I found it telling that he says, even players who may not be involved in the starting 11 or squad feel important, because he makes everybody feel important.

Whereas normally, players would be upset or up in arms etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

On 21/05/2023 at 15:01, TheMightyVillans said:

any updated emery PL table floating around?

I normally use Transfermarkt for this, but the problem is that if a fixture has been rearranged it’s still recorded as having taken place on the original date. In our case, the win away at Leicester has been included as game number 7 while Gerrard was here. I’m not sure how to alter it.

I had a little go at working it out myself. Caveat being I’ve done it quickly and not double checked it.  And even if it’s correct, it will be out of date by the end of today.

So, subsequent to the Newcastle defeat onwards -

Man City 60 (25 games)

Arsenal 53 (26)

Liverpool 50 (25)

Man Utd 49 (25)

Newcastle 46 (24)

Villa 46 (24)

Brighton 44 (25)

Brentford 41(24)

Fulham 33 (24)

Spurs 31 (24)

Wolves 31(24)

Palace 28 (25)

Forest 28 (25)

West Ham 26 (25)

Bournemouth 26 (24)

Chelsea 22 (24)

Leicester 20 (24)

Everton 19 (24)

Leeds 19 (25)

Southampton 12 (24)

Not every club has played the same number of games since then.

Additional, unrelated thought - I know that they’ve been bad, but I did double check Chelsea’s progress since then.

Edit - have added games played in brackets. Buggered if I’m going to work out every club’s PPG.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Thanks 1

On 23/05/2023 at 08:54, Pinebro said:

He hasn't achieved anything with us.

I'm old school. Achieving something is reaching finals but more importantly winning trophies.

I feel like the words success is gettign thrown around way too lightly and frequently in this day and age.

This isn't meant to be a negative post. Emery has done a fantastic job so far but let's hope he can take us to the next step.

I get the impression Emery himself would be in total agreement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree, but we are talking in 2 different contexts.

Every trophy win, has to start somewhere........I am talking about the build up, you are talking about the outcome......to me, Europe or not, we have made huge strides in the way we play and results, that's an achievement in itself to me....but I understand your point.

as the old saying goes...."you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves".......in a similar sentiment, get the process, tactics, mentality, desire and workrate right on top of the talent....and the trophies will follow.

I get where you are coming from too, I just wouldn't call it an achievement.

Unai Emery has done a cracking job so far. What he will achieve with us still remains to be seen but I am confident he is gonna do it.

Edited by Pinebro

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I normally use Transfermarkt for this, but the problem is that if a fixture has been rearranged it’s still recorded as having taken place on the original date. In our case, the win away at Leicester has been included as game number 7 while Gerrard was here. I’m not sure how to alter it.

I had a little go at working it out myself. Caveat being I’ve done it quickly and not double checked it.  And even if it’s correct, it will be out of date by the end of today.

So, subsequent to the Newcastle defeat onwards -

Man City 60 (25 games)

Arsenal 53 (26)

Liverpool 50 (25)

Man Utd 49 (25)

Newcastle 46 (24)

Villa 46 (24)

Brighton 44 (25)

Brentford 41(24)

Fulham 33 (24)

Spurs 31 (24)

Wolves 31(24)

Palace 28 (25)

Forest 28 (25)

West Ham 26 (25)

Bournemouth 26 (24)

Chelsea 22 (24)

Leicester 20 (24)

Everton 19 (24)

Leeds 19 (25)

Southampton 12 (24)

Not every club has played the same number of games since then.

Additional, unrelated thought - I know that they’ve been bad, but I did double check Chelsea’s progress since then.

Edit - have added games played in brackets. Buggered if I’m going to work out every club’s PPG.

this is what i get from twtd.co.uk.

Looks right, as it has Villa on the same points as you after 24 games.

image.thumb.png.a51ec6d9aa999c843a82bc37b56f007d.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

this is what i get from twtd.co.uk.

Looks right, as it has Villa on the same points as you after 24 games.

image.thumb.png.a51ec6d9aa999c843a82bc37b56f007d.png

It’s safe to say I would not have considered an Ipswich Town forum as one of the more likely places to check for this data.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The fact that Don Unai has said he wants Champions League makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

Our current form since he came in has us 1.916ppg. The same as United and Newcastle. Liverpool and Arsenal are on 2ppg.

So in terms of the teams current levels in PL we're all in the running for top 5 (the extra CL spot will go to PL it would have in 6/7 seasons). 

It comes down to recruitment. Obviously Chelsea and Spurs can easily turn around form given their squads were in top 4 last season. 

One of the main improvements he has brought is consistency. Mings used to make one big ricket per game, whereas now I cannot remember the last time he made one. Dougie was notoriously inconsistent but now has rectified that. McGinn's performances used to drop off after an hour but now maintains the required level for the full ninety. I don't know what Emery is doing that our previous managers were not but it seems to be working.

• Like 4

Â