Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I like Darren. One of a rare few of proper journos.

I don't know Darren but he speaks very well in that interview. Who does he work for?

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I don't know Darren but he speaks very well in that interview. Who does he work for?

Edit: Assistant editor of mirror online. Fair play.

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He already has enough for a statue, beat the scousers on Saturday and it'll be a big one

As will the statue.  Would love to win on Saturday to stop them qualifying for the Champions League.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Defend well, control the ball, and take your chances. Simple but so detailed in how to link those 3 facets every match. 

Easy to say, hard to achieve. The thing is that once upon a time, nearly all top flight teams played 4-4-2. So whoever did the best and tried the hardest and "wanted it" the most, would usually win. It might have been long ball v a passing game, but that was about the extent of tactical differences. But it's not like that anymore. Almost every team sets up differently, and they change between games and opponents. This is where Emery (and Klopp, for example) earns his money. The performance levels of the human being players will vary with form and niggles and confidence and home v away and all that, but the things that can be set up and controlled, around tactics and formations and selections for different games and the attention to detail and video analysis and almost lectures that managers like Unai do is the thing that makes the difference these days. As others have said the change that he's introduced has been huge. The high value placed on possession and moving the opponents around to create opportunities to attack at pace, the education of us fans not to get impatient with sideways passing, the changes he's brought to where all the players operate and how they react to the game situation...loads of stuff. It's very impressive.

• Like 4

Â