Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Watching Deano's interview now Leicester and thinking back to how we were with his, Gerrard and previous appointments were all paraded, even backroom staff, shows the difference between them and Unai. Look at the official site with interviews with JT, Cuts, ROK, Shakey, Beale, Gary Mac it now looks like it was whipping up of the troops to say "look how big we are". None of that whatsoever with UE. I wouldn't know who his backroom staff were if you pointed them out to me. It's all business. Not one single backroom staff interview. No, that's just not how top sides do it. And it all comes from a manager who is all about getting on with business. It's how elite managers act. No pointless interviews with assistants or coaching staff at all.

Part of what makes Unai a good fit for Villa and even with the current squad is that he's very much an elite tactician and incredible at coaching willable players and building a good spirit with a small squad. But he's less involved in the PR management and managing divas and star players (the PSG squad).

In a case of right time, right place, this Villa squad is mostly devoid of any of those star players and have a bunch of hard working, coachable players. We'll need a few mavericks later on to really place our marker in Europe, but he fits well partially because of the squad we have. I think he's learned a few things from his time at Arsenal and always lauds the fans first to try and keep them on his side (take notes Stevie).

I'd encourage everyone to read his biography - Unai Emery El Maestro - as it gives really good insight into his mindset - strengths/weaknesses.

• Like 1

Emery cam on the OS. Much like Pep, he mostly watches the action in the final third instead of instructing where to pass it. Their philosophies of positional play can deliver players to the final third but it is up to them to create and finish.

That being said - loved his passion to **** shoot it when Shelvey laid it off to Bertie 🤣

Edited by DJBOB

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Apparently we’re shit.

whilst i see you point (re your dismissive comment), if i had to find some issues with us (and im not really looking for them - im very happy with Emery, but just for a discussion point)......

over Emery's time at the club (and probably/certainly before), we have conceded quite a few clear cut/gilt edge chances to the opposition teams, most of them for whatever reason werent converted since Emery has been here, which is great for us, but if you did a short video of the clear cut chances we have given to teams, it might be a bit more of a shock than expected, as its a lot, i have thought this myself recently, but as of now it is what it is, we are performing well and getting the rub of the green right now, so im not going to complain.

I do think we will see defensive upgrades in the summer, coupled with Carlos coming back when fit, but anyways, my point is, we do need to improve the defensive line, and i can see it happening in the summer for sure.

So while i agree with the scoff at people trying to "do us down", i also kind of accept that we have been very, very lucky with some of the glaring chances we have given away at times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Apparently we’re shit.

Well either we're fluking many games (it's just possible but surely getting less and less likely as we approach a half  league season under Unai) OR Emery is going to force a change in the algorithms those xG, xGA, xPts type stats currently use!

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

whilst i see you point (re your dismissive comment), if i had to find some issues with us (and im not really looking for them - im very happy with Emery, but just for a discussion point)......

over Emery's time at the club (and probably/certainly before), we have conceded quite a few clear cut/gilt edge chances to the opposition teams, most of them for whatever reason werent converted since Emery has been here, which is great for us, but if you did a short video of the clear cut chances we have given to teams, it might be a bit more of a shock than expected, as its a lot, i have thought this myself recently, but as of now it is what it is, we are performing well and getting the rub of the green right now, so im not going to complain.

I do think we will see defensive upgrades in the summer, coupled with Carlos coming back when fit, but anyways, my point is, we do need to improve the defensive line, and i can see it happening in the summer for sure.

So while i agree with the scoff at people trying to "do us down", i also kind of accept that we have been very, very lucky with some of the glaring chances we have given away at times.

It does seem we've gained a few extra points from some missed chances by our opposition, but without analysing the chances missed against other teams, I couldn't be sure how unusual it actually is. I'm sure it can happen over half a dozen games, perhaps even a dozen. Emery has now managed Villa for 17 league games.

If we have been fortunate, it's likely to even out during our remaining 8 league games. Either way, a top half finish looks very likely which is incredible given the form and position Unai inherited us in and I'm not buying we had a significant balance of luck over 25 league games.

I'm also reminded of the quote:

The harder I work, the luckier I get!

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

Well either we're fluking many games (it's just possible but surely getting less and less likely as we approach a half  league season under Unai) OR Emery is going to force a change in the algorithms those xG, xGA, xPts type stats currently use!

Those metrics aren't perfect but they do align generally with most teams fortunes. 

What is worth noting is that Emery states as much after every game.  We won, but we can be better. 

Those stats give him something tangible to explain to his players when he continually demands more of them. That can only go on for so long before you start losing some people who feel the need to get recognised for achievements.  I'm sure Emery finds a near close to perfect balance of carrot and stick, but he isnt just saying it after we win. He genuinely knows we can be better. 

Yes, the points return isn't sustainable, but we're constantly improving and he'll have some of his own signings to add to the mix next season.

We're in a wonderful place and a downward trend may yet kick in before the season ends, but it won't change how elite Emery is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Those metrics aren't perfect but they do align generally with most teams fortunes. 

What is worth noting is that Emery states as much after every game.  We won, but we can be better. 

Those stats give him something tangible to explain to his players when he continually demands more of them. That can only go on for so long before you start losing some people who feel the need to get recognised for achievements.  I'm sure Emery finds a near close to perfect balance of carrot and stick, but he isnt just saying it after we win. He genuinely knows we can be better. 

Yes, the points return isn't sustainable, but we're constantly improving and he'll have some of his own signings to add to the mix next season.

We're in a wonderful place and a downward trend may yet kick in before the season ends, but it won't change how elite Emery is.

I agree with your excellent post.

• Thanks 1

It wouldn't be a surprise that the genius that is Emery has identified exactly the type of chances that you usually concede from and come up with a better metric than the inventor of xG. If he then sets the team up to limit those type of chances, but allowing others that statistically might be likely to go in, but has set the team up in such a way to make it less likely than normal, the stats will always look worse than reality. 

The key thing is, we look like we'll continue to score every game. And doing that gives you every chance of winning. If we limit the enemy to half chances, have a goalkeeper that is significantly better than the average, and cut out the basic mistakes that led to most of the goals we have conceded, this run could absolutely continue. 

Playing the top half of the table over the next set of games will give us a real indicator of how far we've come. I'm not expecting us to win them all, but with Emery in charge we've got the best chance we will. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I don't think we have been above averagely lucky.  Apart from the last 10 minutes against Arsenal we've probably not been unlucky either.  I think that some of the "luck" is earned because our midfield / defence aren't giving opponents as much time / space as they had before and so they are rushing their shots.  But that is good (or at least better) defending rather than luck.

I think the Arsenal game is probably a good example.  I mean if you look just at the stats it would probably be hard to argue against a 2 - 4 result.  But at the same time we were always going to concede more possession / territory / chances and if you look at the match Ramsdale made two really, really great saves at critical times for them.  Meanwhile they needed a rebound off the keeper's head and a breakaway goal when our keeper was up for a corner to win - and the rebounded goal could (should?) very easily have been disallowed for offside (not mentioning the previous incident of McGinn against the same opposition and it being ruled out - except whoops I have).  Were we lucky to keep them to 4?  Was 2 - 4 a fair result where the luck evened itself out?  Were we unlucky not to take a point?  Were we unlucky not to do a smash and grab and nick a 3 - 2 win?  You could probably argue any one of those four cases and back it up with evidence to support each.

It seems like we've hit the woodwork a few times during our spell, we've missed a few great chances ourselves, we've had a couple of poor penalties given against us (yes Jack I am looking at you), we've had some poor decisions go against us and we've had a couple of VAR calls actually go our way too (correctly). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It wouldn't be a surprise that the genius that is Emery has identified exactly the type of chances that you usually concede from and come up with a better metric than the inventor of xG. If he then sets the team up to limit those type of chances, but allowing others that statistically might be likely to go in, but has set the team up in such a way to make it less likely than normal, the stats will always look worse than reality. 

The key thing is, we look like we'll continue to score every game. And doing that gives you every chance of winning. If we limit the enemy to half chances, have a goalkeeper that is significantly better than the average, and cut out the basic mistakes that led to most of the goals we have conceded, this run could absolutely continue. 

Playing the top half of the table over the next set of games will give us a real indicator of how far we've come. I'm not expecting us to win them all, but with Emery in charge we've got the best chance we will. 

In relation to the goalkeeper point - when you have a top class keeper, the opposition know that they need to do more to score past them and so are immediately trying to find the corner of the goal rather than just getting a shot away on target.  By the very fact that they are trying to hit a smaller / more precise target - the chances of hitting it are lower and the margin of error becomes much smaller too.  Both of which will result in fewer "hits".

• Like 1

Â