Unai Emery

PeterSw

There is an aspect of man management too that goes into playing the rest of the squad.

I’ll take a wait and see approach with Unai on this. While I would have preferred the result, I think it’s important not to have a bomb squad and to have players push for positions and allow others the chance (even if they fail) to play their way into the team. 

Under Gerrard and to an extent Smith, too many players were undroppable even though their form was horrible. I’d like to see Archer and Sanson get some minutes and in the future, some of the young lads as well.

I think that is a much better approach than completely writing them off like Gerrard did and starting the same combos over and over.

We are not immune to injuries and we need to have players ready and able to fit in and not frozen out for months and months. The squad has shown to be thin but as a player, there is more belief if you know you have a chance to play as opposed to knowing you’ll never see the pitch unless the rest of the team has keeled over.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 3

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

You say that but we managed to beat Man Utd comfortably with our first XI. Coaching will absolutely lift us up the league.

I did say it will help.....but it needs more, than JUST coaching.

Unai, will find who he wants to keep and who/where he needs to bring in personnel.

Its a combination of many things for him to address.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Emery will have learned a lot from last night.

He will have quite a list for Lange for the January window.

Yep you can be a brilliant trainer under no pressure but if you can't do it on match day then whats the point

• Like 3

As others have said, he needs to find out about his players and that can only really happen in the heat of battle. I think this game showed him that the squad is partly wretched and needs serious pruning. In that respect, it was worth it.

Also, some players will take a while to adapt. But some are, I'm sorry to say, just shite. And that cannot be fixed.

• Like 2

A daft question I think from me - Why do they need to go on a training camp in Dubai? Are we not supposed to have world-class facilities at Bodymoor Heath? How does training in the heat of the middle east get the players ready for playing in the depths of winter in the UK? is it just to avoid the rain?

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

A daft question I think from me - Why do they need to go on a training camp in Dubai? Are we not supposed to have world-class facilities at Bodymoor Heath? How does training in the heat of the middle east get the players ready for playing in the depths of winter in the UK? is it just to avoid the rain?

Not sure. Didn't we do something similar last winter under Gerrard? Of course we came back from that and actually looked worse but then again Gerrard isn't a manager and doesn't do coaching, unlike Emery.

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If you ever played team sports, you'll know the importance of actually going away with the team and training in a different environment. They might share rooms, they might do activities together. 

It's has both sporting and morale effects. 

It's a much different environment than coming to Bodymoor for a few hours and going back home and doing your own thing. 

This...  It allows the team to both bond with each other and the coaching staff and to focus on learning without the distractions of home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

You say that but we managed to beat Man Utd comfortably with our first XI. Coaching will absolutely lift us up the league.

These players are capable of beating good teams but the consistency is lacking. I think the first team  needs tweaking rather than a major overhaul

47 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Not sure. Didn't we do something similar last winter under Gerrard? Of course we came back from that and actually looked worse but then again Gerrard isn't a manager and doesn't do coaching, unlike Emery.

Was that not Spain/Portugal we went to

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

These players are capable of beating good teams but the consistency is lacking. I think the first team  needs tweaking rather than a major overhaul

It does. What we need is pace and power in attack. 
If we can bring in another wide player with pace, it will allow us to play Ramsey and NEW either side of Luiz/Kamara/Dendoncker with Bailey and Watkins further forward. 

Emery will know what he wants but I can't see more than 1 coming in, in January. 

With the new hybrid formation, I expect us to play something like this after Jan...

-------------------------------------Watkins-------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------Bailey------------------------------------
-----New--------------------------------------------------------------------Ramsey
----------------------------Luiz----------------Kamara------------------------------
Digne---------------------Mings-----------Konsa-------------------------Cash
--------------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------------

In the Summer, it will again be more out's than In's, but Emery might want another centre half and another forward player. 

• Like 1

The "give him a chance under a new manager" crowd may have received a reality check last night.

Turns out a turd is still a turd no matter how much you try to polish it.

We have about 12-13 players that we can build and work with. Rest is garbage but will be hard to get rid.

But I have full faith Emery will turn us around.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Tbf they weren't even capable of beating good teams at all under Gerrard. We've already improved on that in just 2 games under Emery.

Â