Unai Emery

PeterSw

I dont believe its emerys fault for starting olsen. We had to see how he did and now we know he is shit.

Mcginn also needs to be cashed in come january whwre we should invite offers for him. His times up here.

Emery would have seen alot about these players 2nite.a host of them wont play for ever again i think.

Thankfully we only have 3 league games until jan window opens

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I really foresaw us winning this trophy in Unai’s first season. Disappointed we didn’t go big in this game tbh. 

Anyway hopefully he will realise our squad outside of about 7 players is immensely weak. 

He’s gonna win the FA cup instead!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Mark my words and I'll quote this post. We all know thos team are mentally weak. They can't deal with any setbacks or adversity. The points gained from losing positions is the worst in the league every year. 

We hope Emery can change it. We hope Gerrard was the problem but we all know it's the team. We know when things get a bit tough they capitulate. They have the safety net of a new manager and new manager bounce.

This team are the problem at the football club. I know we want to bel they aren't. But we all know they are. It won't change until we get rid of 4 or 5 players.

McGinn, Mings, Konsa, Watkins, Luiz can all fetch good prices and I've just had enough of them and their association with the club's problems. I just want them gone and new players signed. 

Wtf?

8 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Doubt that was his plan considering the team he selected. 

Well we played it the whole game so it was definitely a manager instruction.  First half we weren't as high but in the 2nd half we got more aggressive. Was definitely playing to win and not trying to settle for pens. I admire any manager that is willing to go for a win over choking the game off.  Didn't work, oh well, on to Brighton.  

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m afraid I agree with a lot of this. The club bangs on about winning trophies but then changes 4 of the back 5 in the third round, 4 days before a 6 week break. 

I don’t think we were that bad tonight and Olsen was primarily the reason we lost but that’s just it isn’t it, he shouldn’t have been playing. 

Of all the positions on a football pitch, the keeper does not need to be rested. 

I think emery had to see what the fringe players were like in a competitive game. He has learnt a lot and probably will think twice before playing some of them again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pinebro said:

I see 13-14 players worth keeping.

But we'll struggle to sell all the deadwood.

Got a massive job on his hands.

yeah, but i would much rather Emery sorting it out than Gerrard...... ;)

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Mark my words and I'll quote this post. We all know thos team are mentally weak. They can't deal with any setbacks or adversity. The points gained from losing positions is the worst in the league every year. 

We hope Emery can change it. We hope Gerrard was the problem but we all know it's the team. We know when things get a bit tough they capitulate. They have the safety net of a new manager and new manager bounce.

This team are the problem at the football club. I know we want to bel they aren't. But we all know they are. It won't change until we get rid of 4 or 5 players.

McGinn, Mings, Konsa, Watkins, Luiz can all fetch good prices and I've just had enough of them and their association with the club's problems. I just want them gone and new players signed. 

Luiz is fine. McGinn can obviously go but I don't think it's fair to lump Konsa, Watkins and Mings in with him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I see 13-14 players worth keeping.

But we'll struggle to sell all the deadwood.

Got a massive job on his hands.

I tend to agree. We don't have that much quality outside of the first XI in some key areas and will take 2-3 transfer windows to sort. 

Edited by Made In Aston

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Surely that’s what training is for? No need to gamble in a winnable cup comp. 

You can’t really recreate matches in training, only to a point anyway. Seeing how players react to certain situations in actual matches, especially for a new manager is important. We send young players out to gain real match experience for similar reasons. 

Olsen was the clear weak point but getting a decent reserve GK is always tricky and so he probably felt he needed a look at him too. Otherwise we could be in a situation in February where we need to use him for a run of games and won’t have a clue if he’s good enough. At least now he knows we need to try to find an upgrade in January or possibly change our style if he needs to be used in PL matches or in the third round of the FA Cup at Old Trafford. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if every PL team played their reserve keeper in this round of games and Emery probably thought he could rely on an international keeper.  I thought tactically he got it right while trying to keep our main players fresh for Brighton.  Just Chambers not looking over his shoulder for Rashford all second half and Olsen being dire cost us.

• Like 2

he needed to have a look at certain players. he needs to know who he can count on if/when he needs to and who he can't. he had a game that ultimately didn't matter in order to do so and personally i don't mind it

he'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that no one has given him a selection headache for sunday and he can spend the WC break working out what we need from the market

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m afraid I agree with a lot of this. The club bangs on about winning trophies but then changes 4 of the back 5 in the third round, 4 days before a 6 week break. 

I don’t think we were that bad tonight and Olsen was primarily the reason we lost but that’s just it isn’t it, he shouldn’t have been playing. 

Of all the positions on a football pitch, the keeper does not need to be rested. 

In his defence, I think its more about using this opportunity to see how good the players he has under his disposal are. He’s not a villa fan, he’s not going to be as knowledgeable of how good our players have been.

Sure there’s training but I swear people massively overrate how relevant that is. There was that quote by wenger about how manuel almunia was apparently the best arsenal keeper on the training pitch but all of it went to shit on the actual match day. Doing it in training is a lot different to doing it in proper match conditions with tens of thousands of eyes on you. By far The best way to know how good a player is is to see how they actually perform when given a chance.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

He'll know that when your goalie and captain are two of the worst players on the pitch, you're not going to do very well.

You need those roles to be occupied by the most solid, reliable players, as they are the foundation of your side.

I assume that as McGinn stayed on even though he looked knackered, his mind has been made up on him and he wont be starting on sunday

Â