Unai Emery

PeterSw

Just looked up his first 5 games. 

Good luck Unai, lol. 

Talk about throwing a guy to the wolves. 

Appointment should have happened 3 weeks earlier so he'd have a chance to build some momentum. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Just looked up his first 5 games. 

Good luck Unai, lol. 

Talk about throwing a guy to the wolves. 

Appointment should have happened 3 weeks earlier so he'd have a chance to build some momentum. 

Man United, Brighton, Liverpool and Spurs all beatable 
I expect at least 4 points

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Could easily be five straight defeats including the Man Utd Leage Cup game.

But first five games won't define anything.

Will be horrible if we are in the bottom 3 after Brighton and having to stay there over a month because of the world cup.

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I think, once fit, until we can stop losing, he will set up 4 3 2 1 as:

Martinez

Cash (or better)  Carlos  Mings. Digne

Luiz  Dendonker (or better)  Kamara

Buendia  Bailey

Ings (or better)

That's basically the Gerrard system isn't it?  I think we will go

‐-----------------Martinez-----------------

Cash---Konsa----Mings-----Digne

----------Kamara---Luiz-----------------

Sarr---------Buendia-------Bailey

-------------------Ings---------------------

Assuming we sign Sarr or someone similar.  I think Ollie and McGinn won't survive long.  That team will pick up plenty of points imo.  Emery will have plenty of money and scope to bring in who he wants to improve any of the other positions too.

36 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Let's not write him off before he's started. Yes it's a tough start but these clowns have proved they can perform sometimes. And with some proper coaching we should be ok.

If they don't improve under Emery then they are truly shite

Agreed. Emery is getting paid 125k and his CV is incredible, He needs to improve us quicky. I expect Gordan Ramsey Kitchen nightmare results 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Let's not write him off before he's started. Yes it's a tough start but these clowns have proved they can perform sometimes. And with some proper coaching we should be ok.

If they don't improve under Emery then they are truly shite

Honestly I keep telling people that this is a different Premier League season.

Almost any team can turn over any team at the moment.

Only real standout teams this season are City and Arsenal as it stands.

When I say that, i don't mean other teams are necessarily " weak " . I mean quite the opposite; the League is just very competitive now.

Everybody else is potential FOOD!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I don’t think there is enough time before the World Cup break to make major improvement. We could get a result or two, but I do not expect miracles. This season will be all about getting away from the relegation battle and maybe do well in one of the cups.

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Won 1 of his first 9 games, I think you're remembering it wrong.

No I don't.

Something was brewing even during that period.

He got them playing a completely different way and results soon followed.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’ll be so interesting to see how this pans out. 

For once, I feel as though we as fans don’t have the excuse that the problem is the manager and not the players. 

If Emery can’t make it work then we probably have to admit we’ve pissed a load of money up the wall and our squad is average at best. 

Blaming a manager is usually football fans’ denial that their team isn’t as good as they think or want it to be. It actually feels nice and refreshing that we absolutely shouldn’t have that excuse any more. Players like Buendia/Bailey and others who divide the fan base are going to either sink or swim and there will be nowhere for them to hide. 

We’re going to find out a lot about our club and the players over the next 12-18 months.
Bring it on. 

This is the first manager we've had in years and years that is actually a good, proven manager at this or any other top level. We've wasted so much on 'potential', or just outright cheapskating in the latter Lerner years.

He's got a track record that shouldnt have any of our players questioning him.

For as good as the journey was under Smith, he wasnt able to make the step up in managerial ability he needed, and that leads to doubts for players.

Under Gerrard, i do wonder once they got past the initial 'Stevie G' as a player facade, how quickly they realised he was out of his depth. Probably not long when he was basically saying to them:

'you have to put the work in, you need to prove you have what it takes to be worthy of this club etc. Now here's Mick Beale who will be doing all of the coaching, all of the meetings, because it will take me 15 years to be as good as him.'

I think someone else said something similar, if Emery can't sort us out then I'm done.... Not with the club, I always support AVFC, but just done in terms of expecting us to be anything else than making up the numbers in the prem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly I keep telling people that this is a different Premier League season.

Almost any team can turn over any team at the moment.

Only real standout teams this season are City and Arsenal as it stands.

When I say that, i don't mean other teams are necessarily " weak " . I mean quite the opposite; the League is just very competitive now.

Everybody else is potential FOOD!

Yeah and funny how we drew with one of the stand out teams and lost narrowly to the other. Yet we get thrashed by Bournemouth, palace, Fulham and newcastle! 

• Sad 1

This is a top manager. We need to look upon him as being long term.

We must give him time.

If these players cannot perform for him, the owners will make sure he gets players who will.

I personally am looking forward to the future.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think someone else said something similar, if Emery can't sort us out then I'm done.... Not with the club, I always support AVFC, but just done in terms of expecting us to be anything else than making up the numbers in the prem.

The club  needs a whole new philosophy..starting by getting the "RIGHT" people in place to move AVFC forward as a Club,Team and Community.

Â