Unai Emery

PeterSw

49 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Same ppg for Emery as Gerrard last season would seee us finishing on 44-47 points, depending on Newcastle result. Thoughts if we are below this come the end of the season?

Absolutely someone I think we need to give time. Here's his ppg for his first 25 games, then his next 38, in La Liga:

First 25 games ppg

Valencia - 1.56

Sevilla - 1.32

Villarreal - 1.48

Next 38 games ppg

Valencia - 1.84

Sevilla - 1.87

Villarreal - 1.58

His arsenal stats are the same... but in reverse 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’ll get 11 games of the new season, same as everyone else.

I look forward to our next Halloween/Bonfire Night managerial change! 

13 hours ago, AJ said:

He comes across as an absolute gentleman, and I think we have been blessed to get him.

Also, he does look a bit like a slightly deceased Austrian pop star from the 80s.

See the source image

Let's hope Rapid Vienna aren't calling him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, daft said:

I am still chuffed to **** bits that Unai Emery is our new manager. 

Me too.  Proper pinch yourself event. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mate. He drew 4 games in that run of 7.

It was Lost 1 nil Shef Utd

Drew 2 - 2 Palace 

Drew 1 - 1 Wolves

Lost 2 Nil Leicester

Drew 2 - 2 Southampton

Drew 1 - 1 Vitória de Guimarães 

Lost 2 - 1 Ent Frankfurt. 

So sacked for losing 3 games in 7.

Hardly conceding goals left right and centre. 

He was 8 points of Champions League with 2/3 of the season still to go. 

It was a ludicrous sacking. 

Isn't this just putting a positive spin on results to fit your your need without any context or actually having to sit and watch the matches?
Because you could say the same for Gerrard or any manager 🤣.   Example:

Mate. Gerrards Last 7 games as Villa Manager. 

Man City- 1-1 Draw
Southampton- 1-0 Win
Leeds- 0-0 Draw
Forrest- 1-1 Draw
Chelsea- 2-0 Loss
Fulham- 3-0 Loss

Hardly conceding goals left right and centre apart from Fulham 
He was 7 points of European football (7th place) with 2/3 of the season still to go. 

"It was a ludicrous sacking"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Isn't this just putting a positive spin on results to fit your your need without any context or actually having to sit and watch the matches?
Because you could say the same for Gerrard or any manager 🤣.   Example:

Mate. Gerrards Last 7 games as Villa Manager. 

Man City- 1-1 Draw
Southampton- 1-0 Win
Leeds- 0-0 Draw
Forrest- 1-1 Draw
Chelsea- 2-0 Loss
Fulham- 3-0 Loss

Hardly conceding goals left right and centre apart from Fulham 
He was 7 points of European football (7th place) with 2/3 of the season still to go. 

"It was a ludicrous sacking"

Difference is Gerrard had been awful for 12 months so there's was no evidence it was ever going to get better. 

Emery had been good for the previous 12 months so it looks more like a blip. 

Emery was 8th at the time of sacking. Gerrard was 17th. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Difference is Gerrard had been awful for 12 months so there's was no evidence it was ever going to get better. 

Emery had been good for the previous 12 months so it looks more like a blip. 

Emery was 8th at the time of sacking. Gerrard was 17th. 

not defending Gerrard, as im as glad to see the back of him as anyone....but.....

tbh Gerrard was ok for his first 6 PL games (4 wins, 2 losses), but yeah to be brutally honest it just went downhill at a steady rate for the next 32 PL games and ended up in a dumpster fire.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Still pinching myself, can’t believe we’ve actually got a manager of Emery’s calibre.

I have no major expectations for this season. It’s basically on the players now: either they can handle the way he does things, or they can’t/won’t. In the latter case, it probably won’t be til next season til he has more like “his team” - whether mostly the same players or big differences.

• Like 2

I'm baffled about people praying Emery is given plenty of time. Hope we don't get on his back. Villa Park can be poison etc. 

It's been written all over this thread. 

Am I the only one who thinks we're generally supportive?

Gerrard was a very unpopular appointment and didn't get a great deal of heat at VP. Despite being absolutely woeful and many not wanting him he got an easy ride. Only in the last 2 away games was there proper calls for him to go and very minor complaint in his last home game. 

Sherwood is STILL feted by many (to my bemusement and frankly horror) and got little heat until the very end. 

Lambert was dog awful for ages and smashed loads of all time negative club records but again only pressured at the end. 

Probably only McCleish got it early because of who he was but then again Bruce was tolerated through some really bad times. 

I think we rarely turn on managers till it's obvious enough is enough. I wonder if people confuse online keyboard warriors and social media nonsense with how the crowd actually react at Villa Park. 

Oh, and I sit lower Holte so if the crowd are going to turn and get vocal I'll hear it pretty early. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CBGB said:

Still pinching myself, can’t believe we’ve actually got a manager of Emery’s calibre.

I have no major expectations for this season. It’s basically on the players now: either they can handle the way he does things, or they can’t/won’t. In the latter case, it probably won’t be til next season til he has more like “his team” - whether mostly the same players or big differences.

The players responded to Gerrard coming in and his basic stifling tactics so would be odd if we played the games we have before break as complete strangers.

Hopefully we can stay unbeaten until the break. Tough ask but not impossible if we defend well.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The players responded to Gerrard coming in and his basic stifling tactics so would be odd if we played the games we have before break as complete strangers.

Hopefully we can stay unbeaten until the break. Tough ask but not impossible if we defend well.

When Gerrard came in he did minor changes to Smith’s tactics, that made us harder to score against. I’m sure if Emery keep most of Danks tactics and formation, we would be ok to start with.

It is the transition from what was before to the new managers ideas, tactics and formation that is difficult, I’m sure Emery will do a better job in that phase than Gerrard did.

My hope (not expectations, a year of Gerrard have knocked that out of me) will be around mid table and maybe 50 points.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm baffled about people praying Emery is given plenty of time. Hope we don't get on his back. Villa Park can be poison etc. 

It's been written all over this thread. 

Am I the only one who thinks we're generally supportive?

Gerrard was a very unpopular appointment and didn't get a great deal of heat at VP. Despite being absolutely woeful and many not wanting him he got an easy ride. Only in the last 2 away games was there proper calls for him to go and very minor complaint in his last home game. 

Sherwood is STILL feted by many (to my bemusement and frankly horror) and got little heat until the very end. 

Lambert was dog awful for ages and smashed loads of all time negative club records but again only pressured at the end. 

Probably only McCleish got it early because of who he was but then again Bruce was tolerated through some really bad times. 

I think we rarely turn on managers till it's obvious enough is enough. I wonder if people confuse online keyboard warriors and social media nonsense with how the crowd actually react at Villa Park. 

Oh, and I sit lower Holte so if the crowd are going to turn and get vocal I'll hear it pretty early. 

I do think we can be quick to turn on managers *sometimes*, but at the same time I think Emery's pedigree will earn him a bit of extra time. With Gerrard it was easy to lose faith in him quickly (and justifiably as it turned out) due to him being a novice, but with Emery we know we've got a proven and tremendously successful manager who we'd struggle to improve on. Coming off the back of Gerrard/2021 Dean Smith will help too. I also can't remember any manager getting this kind of ecstatic reaction from the fans after their appointment.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Mate. He drew 4 games in that run of 7.

It was Lost 1 nil Shef Utd

Drew 2 - 2 Palace 

Drew 1 - 1 Wolves

Lost 2 Nil Leicester

Drew 2 - 2 Southampton

Drew 1 - 1 Vitória de Guimarães 

Lost 2 - 1 Ent Frankfurt. 

So sacked for losing 3 games in 7.

Hardly conceding goals left right and centre. 

He was 8 points of Champions League with 2/3 of the season still to go. 

It was a ludicrous sacking. 

Arsenal fans never warmed to him or his style of football. Many of them say it was downright dreadful at times and would seem to set the team up to disrupt the opposition and try not to lose instead of trying to take the game to their opponents and win.  TBH, I can understand this at times from how the Villa supporters have felt about some of our past managers (O'Dreary, Eck, Potatohead, etc.).  That said, I don't think Villa supporters will care as long as we continue to make progress up the league table and win/draw more than we lose.  

Â