Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

41 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Edens will be inquiring and serious about Pochettino in my mind, I have no tangible insights, but if you look at how he's gone about life at Milwaukee he is all about providing the right platform and team to those who have the talent, skill, and values necessary to win titles.

I've been over it enough times in brief so I'll spare VT the same spiel, but if anyone wants something to be confident about in relation to how Villa are run and the decision making behind it, read up on Wes Edens tenure and ownership of the Milwaukee Bucks. The man is a model pro. I have no doubts we will see parallels here. I'm not saying we will win the title, like Milwaukee did a few years after being as low as can go in the NBA, because that's not in my thinking or on my radar at present. Right now for us it's about seeing that Wes can emulate that executive level decision making and leadership so that we are doing all the right things with a capable team. Then we will compete with anyone.

Do you think he may have made an error this time in taking Purslow's advice re. our present manager?

17 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Do you think he may have made an error this time in taking Purslow's advice re. our present manager?

I wouldn't know. My thoughts are that Edens would be involved in the discussion enough so that he has to take significant level of accountability and responsibility, and it's my thinking that he would recognise that.

You could say that they got the Jason Kidd as head coach appointment wrong at the Bucks, however Kidd was at the helm for the Bucks first two seasons where they returned to post season basketball and a chance at glory, and while Kidd was replaced because Edens and the Bucks executives felt he had reached his ceiling, you could say he was a step in the right direction at the time, and for the time he held the job.

Gerrard may have had a torrid time of it due to his poor tactics and team selection, but that's easy to identify, what's not so obvious is what else is at play not going for him. However to make the point that should be in focus, is that SG has done some good for us already with regards to recruitment. Albeit Coutinho, Coutinho is a player we can build around for the next few seasons. I know we need to see that and we haven't so far, but it's my opinion he can and will fulfill a very important role whilst here. He's an exceptional player.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

A surprise success has been Benfica choosing a manager from the Bundesliga, Roger Schmidt. They’ve played 13 games under him so far, all wins. Counting pre-season it’s 18 straight wins. Beat Juventus away easily last night.

Do German managers abroad ever badly fail? There seems to be loads of successful German managers. 

Any going at the moment ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

42 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think Edens might be thinking that they have to get appointment right this time and will have much more of an input

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Wagner at Huddersfield? 

You think he failed? Isn’t he the only manager to ever get them promoted and then after that even kept them up?

Id say he did a good job. Anyway back on topic, I reckon stuff could be going on behind the scenes but the club will only sack Gerrard if we have somebody lined up. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You think he failed? Isn’t he the only manager to ever get them promoted and then after that even kept them up?

Id say he did a good job. Anyway back on topic, I reckon stuff could be going on behind the scenes but the club will only sack Gerrard if we have somebody lined up. 

Just throwing it out there given Huddersfield's current position. I wouldn't necessarily say he was a disaster, but it's probably the least well a high profile German manager has done. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

No surprise that German managers do well. The German culture is there are no superstars just team work. 

Take that culture to a football club is always going to be successful 

Their approach to training football coaches also differs quite a bit from many other European countries. I highly recommend the book 'Mensch' for more insight. It's no coincidence German coaches are among the best in the world currently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, daft said:

Their approach to training football coaches also differs quite a bit from many other European countries. I highly recommend the book 'Mensch' for more insight. It's no coincidence German coaches are among the best in the world currently. 

Is there a section on looking the manager in the eye?

38 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Once appointed, I wonder if Pochettino's first press conference would be similar to Gerrard's, but this time about his love and desire to eventually be at Manchester United??

Isn't that exactly the same we said for Gerrard apart from it being Liverpool?

I doubt we could get Pochettino if we sacked Gerrard. He would want a CL club surely.