Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ve never said it was wrong for a CEO to get things wrong, in fact I have only really ever praised Purslow on this forum and never asked for him to lose his job. All I’ve said is the board, rightly would’ve heavily relied on their CEO’s recommendation which is consistent with most companies.

As for the first paragraph, it is about being seduced that traits can translate from one skill set to another.  We can’t judge that just because Gerrard was a leader on the pitch that he’s a leader as a manager to the players.  It’s a very different trait.  TRO and I have been over this ground many times so I don’t fully agree with some of the things you’ve portrayed in that paragraph but it’s going over the same ground at what TRO and I have discussed on this thread many times so I won’t bother again.

I know you don't agree with them and I don't want to go over the same ground, that is why I referred to it as the characteristics that Tro refers to. I also don't like your use of the word 'seduced' and it is not about seduction. It is making a judgement call based upon Gerrard's achievements and believing the risk is at an acceptable level. Your use of the word seduce is only trying to belittle the thought process behind it imo

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think your wrong, top managers become top managers because they know how to see a project through. Most will have gone to the unlikeliest of places and produced a bit of magic. It's what makes a truly great manager and not a chancer imo. Look at Mourinho last season and what he did for Roma, never underestimate the challenge that certain individuals want. 

I think you are wrong Mourinho went to Roma because he’s at the end of the line in his managerial career, Chelsea was his pinnacle he’s been a manager in decline ever since then, Roma finished 6th one place above the season before and won some obscure made up European cup? Hardly the stuff of top managers is it?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Great...  Gerrard will be here through the WC break at least...  Missed opportunity to get rid, upgrade the position, and start drilling the squad, now that we won't play another game until October.

Edited by KMitch

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think you are wrong Mourinho went to Roma because he’s at the end of the line in his managerial career, Chelsea was his pinnacle he’s been a manager in decline ever since then, Roma finished 6th one place above the season before and won some obscure made up European cup? Hardly the stuff of top managers is it?

We have to agree to disagree then. If winning a European Trophy last season is declining, then I'd take that everyday over what we have. Yes, Cheslea may well have been the pinnacle of his career, but he could quite easily have won a trophy at Spurs if kept on another week just like he has everywhere he's been. He's a serial trophy winner. Elite imo and still knows how win. Something we don't have. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

All cups are made up to be fair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I know you don't agree with them and I don't want to go over the same ground, that is why I referred to it as the characteristics that Tro refers to. I also don't like your use of the word 'seduced' and it is not about seduction. It is making a judgement call based upon Gerrard's achievements and believing the risk is at an acceptable level. Your use of the word seduce is only trying to belittle the thought process behind it imo

Doesn’t matter whether you like my use of the word ‘seduced’, it doesn’t mean it’s not true.  We’ll never know why they really hired him ie the criteria, what convinced them to choose Gerrard over other candidates they had on any list, all we can do is speculate and we all have different views.  All we know so far is it’s not working out, will that change? Who knows… I guess we’ll find out if he gets the chance or he’ll get fired before too much longer and forever remembered as failing as manager at Aston Villa. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We'll see......but Chelsea  have a much stronger squad than us...maybe your forgetting that part.

Birighton and Villa are not much between them....maybe they have bought for better value.

That's my whole point. Villa are stronger than Brighton in terms of personnel and in terms of spending power. They start Danny Welbeck up front every week. We just have a better squad, but their manager got more out of theirs than ours does of our squad. It's just inescapable. No amount of excuses or "maybes" can obscure this. Our manager is underperforming because he's not a good coach. Potter was overperforming at Brighton because he is a good coach, and that's why he was immediately snapped up by Chelsea. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t matter whether you like my use of the word ‘seduced’, it doesn’t mean it’s not true.  We’ll never know why they really hired him ie the criteria, what convinced them to choose Gerrard over other candidates they had on any list, all we can do is speculate and we all have different views.  All we know so far is it’s not working out, will that change? Who knows… I guess we’ll find out if he gets the chance or he’ll get fired before too much longer and forever remembered as failing as manager at Aston Villa. 

I agree it doesn't mean it is not true but equally using it when you do not know whether it is true or not is unfair on CP and NSWE and just conjecture

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

AT SWANSEA

Yes at Swansea, who were relegated from the Premier League the month prior to Potter's appointment and had maximum parachute payments after spending 7 seasons as a Premier League team. That sounds like a very low win % for a PL team dropping down to the Championship

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

According to Betfair, Leicester are favourites to take Pochettino as their next manager at 5/1, Aston Villa 6/1 and Sevilla 7/1. 

Basically those odds are more reflective on who they think the next manager will be sacked.  

• Thanks 1

I reckon Gerrard has two more games realistically, the Man City game bought him some extra time, but if we lose two more or don’t win them then I think he’ll be gone.

I wouldn’t mind David Wagner, he did ok with Huddersfield, and that side wasn’t great by any means. I liked his style of play too, but he didn’t do great at Shalke I don’t think… 🤔 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I reckon Gerrard has two more games realistically, the Man City game bought him some extra time, but if we lose two more or don’t win them then I think he’ll be gone.

I wouldn’t mind David Wagner, he did ok with Huddersfield, and that side wasn’t great by any means. I liked his style of play too, but he didn’t do great at Shalke I don’t think… 🤔 

He wasnt great at all at Schalke and was just sacked again in Switzerland

38 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Why delay the inevitable.

Would be peak Villa to wait until poch and other top mabagers are unavailable

image.thumb.jpeg.34ffb7792cb80366aa2714325ae20585.jpeg

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3