January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brighton are above us currently and have an 18 year old Irish forward leading the line. But Duran isn’t ready for some game time from the bench 🤣

Why what’s him being Irish got to do with anything 

Also in terms of what we’ve got … this is the first time the majority of players have worked under an elite manager and coaches … no offence to Dean & Co but McGinn has also had Bruce & Gerrard as his mentors … Emery has already got more out the squad in a few months than Gerrard did in almost a year. Plus factor in youth and I’d say we are no weaker than before January in many ways. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Buendia and Luiz, did.

Buendia - there wasn't  an awful lot to choose between us and Arsenal at the time it looked like we were very much in the ascendant

Luiz - did he choose us, or did we just not let him leave. If the former, there must be a part of him that feels a bit rueful now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Quick question. I know A LOT of people are saying that our recruitment will happen in the summer hence the poor January window… but… how do you know that it will happen? 

Do you really think Emery has joined us to scrap and save in the bottom half of the league? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, messi11 said:

😪 Was gonna watch Boyacá Chicó v Jaguares de Córdoba in the Colombian Primera A tonight as well. But I think i'm gonna give that a miss now.
Time for me for for me retire. Its been fun Villa Talk. As Boris Johnson said in that film The Terminator. "hasta la vista, baby." 

Does this mean @villalad21 is coming back?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Buendia and Luiz, did.

i don't think arsenal ever had a bid accepted for buendia. in fact i recall their fans were pissed because edu was messing about with crap offers for him

and we never accepted a bid for luiz? so he didn't choose us over them

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thank you.

Considering you thought it was all the players fault and didn't expect much change with a new manager, I'm surprised you're so desperate for signings when Emery has shown how well he can do with the current squad. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Also in terms of what we’ve got … this is the first time the majority of players have worked under an elite manager and coaches … no offence to Dean & Co but McGinn has also had Bruce & Gerrard as his mentors … Emery has already got more out the squad in a few months than Gerrard did in almost a year. Plus factor in youth and I’d say we are no weaker than before January in many ways. 

Exactly. 

Aren't we the 2nd best form team since Emery joined?

Now thats all going to fall apart because Danny Ings left. 

The doom and gloom is **** ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Buendia - there wasn't  an awful lot to choose between us and Arsenal at the time it looked like we were very much in the ascendant

Luiz - did he choose us, or did we just not let him leave. If the former, there must be a part of him that feels a bit rueful now

Not sure if that opens up another, debate....like why have they moved on?

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or we just do what the multi European Trophy winning elite Manager thought was the best thing to do?

I know he's our top scorer, but how often did he actually play?

How do you know that he doesn't think Duran could possibly add something which Ings could not, as a backup? Which could lead to the team scoring more goals overall?

For one, he'll definitely have more physicality and athleticism than Danny, who's also injured as we type.

He's a great manager for sure, but that doesn't mean he gets, or will get, everything right. 

Regards Ings playing time, I think it's obvious he wasn't central to Emery's plans and best suited to the style he wants to play... but having that back up of a proven experienced premier league player and goal scorer to bring on in matches where its needed, or to change the style of play, is always a bonus. In fact most good teams have this depth of players where they can bring on players to change a game, whether they play a lot or not. Also a credible plan b If Watkins gets injured.

To me, the risks of him leaving and those potential benefits of him staying, meant it would have been better to keep him until we had a replacement.

I'm sure Duran will add something which Ings could not as a backup, but why not both? Ings has things Duran doesn't, experience for one. Emery has already stated he not a direct replacement and doesn't want to put pressure on him.

Hopefully it will all work out, Emery must have thought this out and have a wider plan and contingencies. I've got a feeling with his systems and the style of play he wants to impose, he wants the midfielders to score more, Dougie, McGinn and Ramsey have all shown they're good goal scorers when we play the right way. 

Plus, there's always Coutinho! 😉

2 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

He's a great manager for sure, but that doesn't mean he gets, or will get, everything right. 

Regards Ings playing time, I think it's obvious he wasn't central to Emery's plans and best suited to the style he wants to play... but having that back up of a proven experienced premier league player and goal scorer to bring on in matches where its needed, or to change the style of play, is always a bonus. In fact most good teams have this depth of players where they can bring on players to change a game, whether they play a lot or not. Also a credible plan b If Watkins gets injured.

To me, the risks of him leaving and those potential benefits of him staying, meant it would have been better to keep him until we had a replacement.

I'm sure Duran will add something which Ings could not as a backup, but why not both? Ings has things Duran doesn't, experience for one. Emery has already stated he not a direct replacement and doesn't want to put pressure on him.

Hopefully it will all work out, Emery must have thought this out and have a wider plan and contingencies. I've got a feeling with his systems and the style of play he wants to impose, he wants the midfielders to score more, Dougie, McGinn and Ramsey have all shown they're good goal scorers when we play the right way. 

Plus, there's always Coutinho! 😉

How many teams have proven Premier league experienced strikers who are able to change the game sitting on the bench? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly. 

Aren't we the 2nd best form team since Emery joined?

Now thats all going to fall apart because Danny Ings left. 

The doom and gloom is **** ridiculous. 

He was our top scorer, we sold him for £15m, peanuts tbh. We have paid £19m for a player our manager has stated isn't ready for first team action. We all see what we want to see but no-one can argue we have not weakened the squad considerably, were would we be without Ings goals? 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

What if ings breaks his leg tomorrow,

Well that's one 'what if?', though I think he's injured and West Ham don't play until Sunday so unlikely.

Another what if, is what if Watkins breaks his leg tomorrow?

Edited by smokingzen

Spoiler
1 minute ago, smokingzen said:

Week that's one 'what if?', though I think he's injured and West Ham don't play until Sunday so unlikely.

Another what if, is what if Watkins breaks his leg tomorrow?

We would be in a right mess. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Considering you thought it was all the players fault and didn't expect much change with a new manager, I'm surprised you're so desperate for signings when Emery has shown how well he can do with the current squad. 

I am pleasantly surprised, I must admit.....but its not seasons end yet, is it?

Some of the things ,I was not convinced of with SG, like the full backs, I am more on UE's Page.....UE has a fantastic reputation, but I will wait until he endorses the clear out as his main January Function, before getting excited about the summer.

I am not desperate for signings, I think its a missed opportunity....and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us......will you be as quick, to say so, if it does?

I have no doubt how well, Emery can do with our squad, but I don't see him as a miracle worker........maybe I will.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure if that opens up another, debate....like why have they moved on?

Well it does, but then we know some of the answers to that. On our side it's  partly poor management and some questionable recruitment.  

The first one is being addressed very well so far. On the second, I'd  have loved a couple of signings, but feel on balance that this window  shows a bit of a change in transfer policy and for the better. Some sensible recruitment, good decisions on loans and some good work clearing players that weren't  needed.