January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

17 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Hmm, Ings is the only exit that bothers me. I would’ve kept hold of him until the summer and taking the hit on a lower fee. I think we are weaker as a result as we look a bit light upfront.

Well he got crocked first sub on for Wham so looks like great bit of business

If we couldn't convince/get the deals done for our targets in this window, will it actually be any easier to sign them in the summer ?

Its unlikely that we will be able to offer european football as an incentive.

Maybe we were just a tad too ambitious with our targets for where we are at the moment. Which is great if true but we might be another season with a decent league finish for those targets 

Plenty to think about for the transfer team !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ponky said:

It's a little bit of a gamble no doubt, but as long as we don't have a massive injury crisis hopefully we'll be okay.

I’m worried about bookings, injuries, form, options…I think it’s a gamble especially in the attacking areas. 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m worried about bookings, injuries, form, options…I think it’s a gamble especially 8n the attacking areas. 

Personally I’d rather we bring in the right player in the summer than sign someone who doesn’t make the squad better. 

I expect one of two through the doors today, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Personally I’d rather we bring in the right player in the summer than sign someone who doesn’t make the squad better. 

I expect one of two through the doors today, but I could be wrong.

I agree it should be the right player, I’m not advocating for bringing in just anybody I’m just surprised how (with 24 hours to go) how we haven’t been able to do that beyond Moreno and Duran.

• Like 1

I’m surprised we haven’t got a couple more in. Good business done getting players out, but we are light and Emery has pretty much said this. He has been outspoken in the media about bringing in a winger / forward of a certain profile so whatever business we have tried has thus far failed. Hope we bring 1-2 in today - the way we do business I wouldn’t be surprised despite the lack of rumours. 

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

So just took a look at our expenditure across the last 4 transfer windows .£40 million net.

I was amazed by this. 

So so low . I can only imagine that we are paying for past excesses . What other reason could there be. 

The new North Stand ? Ffp problems ? Too high wage bill. ? 

Yet our wage bill has gotten a lot higher. Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, Carlos and Ings(before he left) were probably our 5 highest earners along with Emi who got a juicy new contract

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree it should be the right player, I’m not advocating for bringing in just anybody I’m just surprised how (with 24 hours to go) how we haven’t been able to do that beyond Moreno and Duran.

I dont think it has been a great Premier League market for teams around us either, nobody has signed a player that stands out as a great deal who would automatically improve us. A lot of money has been spent and probably majority will provide little value 

Edited by Zatman

Pretty sure we're done this window, all the links have dried up for a good week now, no big deals are being done today, we do keep things very hush hush regards transfers so maybe a loan that's been agreed maybe for today if nothing came off with other targets. I'm really looking forward to the melt downs & bed wetting on here for the next 17 hours or so 

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You and me both my friend.

• Like 1

Only thing that makes me think we might still have irons in the fire is that the club haven’t put out a story via one of their favoured journos -(Percy, Collomosse, Nixon, Evans) that we are done with incomings. I’m sure that’s happened in previous windows.

I honestly can’t see a significant purchase but a loan player for the forward positions maybe.

• Like 1

Birmingham Mail report this morning that that three positions are a priority, a midfielder, a winger and a striker, with striker being the most pressing. Sounds like we're going to be busy, they also mention a number of the U21s looking for loan clubs.

Looks like Ilya Zabarnyi who we've been linked with last few days is going to Bournemouth