January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

If we can't sign our intended targets will we see a 6 month loan signing in those positions ?

Not impossible but I kind of doubt it. I think Unai only wants genuine upgrades and enhancements and doesn’t just want squad fillers who can fill in or do a job. That’s a pleasing and worthwhile strategy. Players that fit the project and would be viewed as being here for the long term.

But, if we’re struggling to attract high calibre/potential players (which I’m sure is the bracket we are targeting and why deals are taking longer to complete) then we may have to resort to one or two loans (I think it’s unlikely) but there is still time to get the rest of our business finalised and it may mostly take place on deadline day…

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s also being realistic by Emery.  If the kid has raw talent, he’s still moving from a different country, a lot poorer league quality wise and he’s now only getting elite coaching.  We only have 4/5 months left of season, Emery has said he’s not going to be thrown in the deep end and he wants more in that area.  I think sometimes fans forget the human side, the reality of it all.  Rarely is it a lift and drop situation of playing.

Agreed, which is why Watkins will be first choice and Duran will be backup.

OT to a certain extent but what do struggling Southampton need to really bolster their side for the relegation escape?

James Bree!? (Edit: who by the way is stilL only 25… did we sign him as **** foetus or something!?)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Haha 2

Just need that one attacker who can play across the front, which emery wants, and we are good for the season ahead.  Not perfect at all, but in great shape for the summer and given what he has achieved so far, I can see us being far more attractive then too. 

I get the doom and gloom merchants to some degree, we can all see the squad lacks quality in certain areas and want to fill them

I for one hope we’re exploring the players that have contracts coming to an end this summer. If rumours are true we’re looking at Thuram and Dembele but what about Kamada and a load of others, La Liga is littered with players with contracts about to expire. 

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Agreed, which is why Watkins will be first choice and Duran will be backup.

Not how Emery was saying at his presser, he was indicating he wanted another body there and Duran basically 3rd choice. The issue I was alluding to as you well know is if Watkins is injured, out of form or Emery needs a different option in-game or for a whole game.  We know that Watkins is only really suited for certain type of games even though he can play all games.  It’s why Ings did get so much time as he did, you need options to help get results when required.

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

You said no signings this window, then have named 2 signings we made this window. 

You're right, but my point was actually that I'm ok with this squad for the rest of this season.

Edited by AVTuco

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not how Emery was saying at his presser, he was indicating he wanted another body there and Duran basically 3rd choice. The issue I was alluding to as you well know is if Watkins is injured, out of form or Emery needs a different option in-game or for a whole game.  We know that Watkins is only really suited for certain type of games even though he can play all games.  It’s why Ings did get so much time as he did, you need options to help get results when required.

No, we don't. There is never going to be a game where what he offers isn't useful. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

OT to a certain extent but what do struggling Southampton need to really bolster their side for the relegation escape?

James Bree!? (Edit: who by the way is stilL only 25… did we sign him as **** foetus or something!?)

Nathan Jones would have had him at Luton, so must be a fan.

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

25?! That's mental. I think I was 25 when we signed him, and I'm nearly dead now. 

In fairness he's had a tidy career for himself after he left us.  

• Haha 4

Just now, RichW said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but seen this from Tom Collomosse earlier https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11682741/Unai-Emery-desperate-mark-Aston-Villa-month.html 

Seems if there is a signing it will just be a wide attacker. 

Oh, man, you just made me click on the Mail Online. You just dirtied my browser.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

🤣

Sanson leaving again? The biggest BS merchants out there.

But please, let’s sign Guendouzi 🤣

The reason he was out of the squad so much wasn't  injury then, it was secretive and experimental cloning procedures.  Smart thinking. Another reason to like the NSWE approach to running the club.  But what of the failed attempts? Where are they now?

• Haha 1