January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

What PL side would sign Nakamba? Or Chambers really. Feels like they’re Championship level, the usual problem is that their wages may not be.

There is always somebody for a reasonable price…Everton, Southampton, even somebody with little cash like Leicester.

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Europe League attracts better quality of players, gives the club more exposure and is a backdoor way to get into the Champions League.

Our best chance of playing in the UCL is probably to win the next FA cup, then Europa league. Finishing top 4 is bloody difficult.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

What PL side would sign Nakamba? Or Chambers really. Feels like they’re Championship level, the usual problem is that their wages may not be.

It’s as if all PL players are to that standard. A lot of players are below the standard, a lot of signings as well. Especially during winter, a lot of team panic with these buys. To be honest aswell, they aren’t bad players, they might even upgrade some teams. 

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Europe League attracts better quality of players, gives the club more exposure and is a backdoor way to get into the Champions League.

I also think the EL gives us the opportunity to play some of the kids, arsenal and Chelsea have both benefitted from it, saka got his debut in it think ESR was the same

If we were in it next season playing the 4th placed team in Hungary I'd want to see KKH, Tim and Archer getting minutes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Our best chance of playing in the UCL is probably to win the next FA cup, then Europa league. Finishing top 4 is bloody difficult.

Have you seen us in the FA Cup, more chance of us winning the league, the F1, Wimbledon and the Ryder Cup in one year together than winning the FA Cup

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I also think the EL gives us the opportunity to play some of the kids, arsenal and Chelsea have both benefitted from it, saka got his debut in it think ESR was the same

If we were in it next season playing the 4th placed team in Hungary I'd want to see KKH, Tim and Archer getting minutes

I bet most of them will go back on loan next season whether we are in Europe or not.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Have you seen us in the FA Cup, more chance of us winning the league, the F1, Wimbledon and the Ryder Cup in one year together than winning the FA Cup

I know. But after all we have a cup mastermind in the dugout now, and it’s probably easier to navigate 6 opponents in the FA cup, and then next year get out of the group plus win 4 knockout rounds in the Europa, than finish top 4 in the Prem over 38 games.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is that you Martin O’Neill?

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I know. But after all we have a cup mastermind in the dugout now, and it’s probably easier to navigate 6 opponents in the FA cup, and then next year get out of the group plus win 4 knockout rounds in the Europa, than finish top 4 in the Prem over 38 games.

I’m not sure I agree.  One mistake and you’re out of the cup but in the league there is always a chance even if you have a bad game or two.  I think the cups are harder to win these days because of the one offs and how seriously big clubs have taken them over the last decade but both routes are extremely hard.  The league cup semi final line ups was a surprise.  

I think Emery will build a squad with transfers now and in the summer to cope with what competitions we are in and as you say Emery is a cup mastermind so imo will use the kids even less than usual because he’ll want to win them and thus utilising his main players.  

I think the coming week we’ll add transfers and follow up with many more in the summer. The kids will continue to go out on loan next season until they are first team really ready.  I think will use the transfer market heavily for the next 18 months and the kids will develop on loan with only a few around the squad.

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I also think the EL gives us the opportunity to play some of the kids, 

Ok Martin O’Neill 😜